Anyone cut down their own Christmas tree?

elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,367
edited November 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Me and the family do it every year. Trek out of the city, get bundled up, have some chili and then me and the boy hack that sucker down! Anyone else still do this?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    I do it. My boys love it. They always find it funny to watch me try to carry a tree out. It's definitely worth a few laughs.
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    I've always wanted to do this, but growing up in a family full of firefighters we couldn't do it because it was a fire hazard. Now I'm just too lazy :lol:

Enjoy your tree!!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    nlxmasvac_main.jpg
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i've got a couple of pine tree's that you are welcome to come and cut down.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    i don't even put one up..let alone cut one down
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Did this every year as a kid growing up in VT. A few years back took my nephew out into the woods in South Jersey to cut one down and made the mistake of telling him we would use any tree he picked. Picked a fucking monster and flipped when I suggested an alternate tree. Ended up cutting down the monster and using the top part as the tree. Ugliest tree ever but he was so proud of his choice.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • NamiNami Posts: 5,995
    81 wrote:
    nlxmasvac_main.jpg

:lol:

Same thing came to my mind... I watch this movie every year along with last years addin Bad Santa.

Merry Christmas..
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    81 wrote:
    nlxmasvac_main.jpg

:lol: love it !!!

I used too - I think its just wonderful and it gets you in the spirit - especially with kids. :D
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • I almost cut my own down ... I buy from a local tree farm in NJ. They let you cut your own, but you also have the option of buying from their stock of freshly cut trees. It's way better than the roadside tree sellers ... those probably travel far before getting to your home and shed needles like crazy.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Nami wrote:
    81 wrote:
    nlxmasvac_main.jpg

:lol:

Same thing came to my mind... I watch this movie every year along with last years addin Bad Santa.

Merry Christmas..

I am so glad someone else has made a tradition of watching Bad Santa! I always watch it with some holiday eggnog (I use brandy, not rum).

I usually spark it up too. 8-)

To answer the original question, no. I will though when the time comes that I have kids and a vehicle to carry it home. It'd be a fun experience, especially for kids.

Merry Christmas!
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    We used to for a few years, now we just buy one from the local firefighters, figure it's better to support them than some treefarm.
  • KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    my uncle always cuts ours, he owns some wood near the house he grew up in.