Disney's Song of the South - Why so rare?

movaughnmovaughn Posts: 1,293
edited November 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I just found a copy of this, a Japanese import on laserdisc. After some research found out that it was never released in the US and never will be. Is it really that racist? I might have seen it as a kid but only remember the zip a dee do dah song. No laserdisc player so I couldn't watch it but I did download it. Aside from the lead actor not being able to attend the premiere what else is so bad about this movie they won't release it in the US but will everywhere else. I heard the Hong Kong LD could get you 300 bucks, wow.
Alpine Valley - Jun 26, 1998, Alpine Valley - Oct 08, 2000, Alpine Valley - Jun 21, 2003
United Center - May 16, 2006, Summerfest - Jun 29, 2006, Summerfest - Jun 30, 2006
Alpine Valley - Sep 03, 2011, Wrigley Field - July 19, 2013
Wrigley Field - August 20, 2016, Wrigley Field - August 22, 2016
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I've never scene it, just heard about it, but there is no way in this P.C.World, that Disney is going to release it here, i don't think the story is racist, but the stereotype's are. Ironically i do believe that Walt was trying to celebrate southern culture, but times have changed.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    It's that slavery thing that makes it toxic to Disney....and apparently "Tar Baby" has become a forbidden metaphor
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Wasn't there a Jewish peddler as well?
    A horrifically cliched Jewish peddler?
    I'm not too sure...
    Anyways, as the previous folk said,
    in this day n' age,
    there's no way Disney could
    do anything with that.
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    edited November 2011
    They have a ride for it in Disney... Very white washed... Errr Person of No Color Washed.
    Post edited by Black Diamond on
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • movaughnmovaughn Posts: 1,293
    Splash Mountain. Thanks guys, I might watch it now. If anyone knows somebody who's looking for this laserdisc let me know. Thanks
    Alpine Valley - Jun 26, 1998, Alpine Valley - Oct 08, 2000, Alpine Valley - Jun 21, 2003
    United Center - May 16, 2006, Summerfest - Jun 29, 2006, Summerfest - Jun 30, 2006
    Alpine Valley - Sep 03, 2011, Wrigley Field - July 19, 2013
    Wrigley Field - August 20, 2016, Wrigley Field - August 22, 2016
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Dru_Cortez wrote:
    Wasn't there a Jewish peddler as well?
    A horrifically cliched Jewish peddler?
    I'm not too sure...
    Anyways, as the previous folk said,
    in this day n' age,
    there's no way Disney could
    do anything with that.
    Cheers.
    I don't remember a Jewish peddler.....but it's been at least 35 plus years since I have seen the movie. :lol:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.