Donating blood

he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
edited November 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Any regular donors on here? I havent donated in years but I'm coordinating a blood drive at work and think I'm going to donate. Blood donation is completely confidential, right :?
We were but stones your light made us stars
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Yeah!!!!

I work forthe Red Cross (10 years now) but I've been a donor and a blood drive coordinator for over 20 years. Good for you!! It is completely confidential, your blood is tracked by a donor number and the only way any one would know who you are is if there is a problem with your test results. And in that case, you would be contacted by a donor management representative and it is still extremely confidential.

Are you working with the Red Cross to coordinate the drive or a blood bank?

oh and I donate 5 times a year. :D
  • Thanks PureandEasy! I'm coordinating through a Blood Bank, not Red Cross. One other question for you: I've been recently tattooed...does that matter?
  • Actually I got a question too... I was a donor but had a heart attack... so on lots of drugs including blood thinners... Am I out now?
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    im donating at 2:30 today...

i almost didnt bc when i did last year, they called me almost everyday to donate more...sometimes, twice a day. i just asked them to take me off their list bc i will donate when i feel like it.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    One of the best things I can do voluntarily each year and I do it 2-3 times a year. Down here in Florida they sometimes give incentives such as tickets to Heat, Marlins or Comedy Improv. One of the best things one can do all year. I do have a question though can the Red Cross determine your blood type when one donates blood?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    g under p wrote:
    One of the best things I can do voluntarily each year and I do it 2-3 times a year. Down here in Florida they sometimes give incentives such as tickets to Heat, Marlins or Comedy Improv. One of the best things one can do all year. I do have a question though can the Red Cross determine your blood type when one donates blood?

Peace
    I believe they can. When I first donated I got a card in the mail with my blood type- in case I wanted to donate again. I don't know if they still do that. Its been a while since I've done it. May do it today.
    Thanks PureandEasy! I'm coordinating through a Blood Bank, not Red Cross. One other question for you: I've been recently tattooed...does that matter?

Depends on where you got your tattoo and the state licensing for the tattoo parlors. For instance, you can get a tattoo in New Jersey and donate five minutes later. You can get a tattoo in Pennsylvania and have to wait a year to donate. So if you were getting a tattoo, where would you go???? You'd be surprised how many people don't take the trip across the bridge for what seems a more regulated environment for tattooing purposes. :lol:

BD, I don't necessarily think you are out forever, you would need to call and speak with someone about your particular situation. I'm pretty sure you can not donate for at least 6 months. Try calling 800-givelife or 866-236-3276 (donor services).
  • Thanks PureandEasy! I'm coordinating through a Blood Bank, not Red Cross. One other question for you: I've been recently tattooed...does that matter?

Depends on where you got your tattoo and the state licensing for the tattoo parlors. For instance, you can get a tattoo in New Jersey and donate five minutes later. You can get a tattoo in Pennsylvania and have to wait a year to donate. So if you were getting a tattoo, where would you go???? You'd be surprised how many people don't take the trip across the bridge for what seems a more regulated environment for tattooing purposes. :lol:

BD, I don't necessarily think you are out forever, you would need to call and speak with someone about your particular situation. I'm pretty sure you can not donate for at least 6 months. Try calling 800-givelife or 866-236-3276 (donor services).
    GoiMTvP.gif
    g under p wrote:

Peace

they absolutely do, it's one of the testing processes. That way, when they find out you have a rare blood type (like myself) they will contact you for specific needs, infant heart surgeries, etc. at the last minute, if you're eligible. :lol: I laugh, but it's a good thing.

and what better way to give something of yourself, than to help a baby who needs life saving surgery??

and to the donor up there who received numerous calls, I feel for you and that is definitely something they're working on here, trust me.
    There are great benefits too for the donor. There is something called Red Cross Racing, associated with Nascar. When you donate, you post your donation and you earn Red Cross points. In the past, you could use your points for Red Cross items, such as director chairs (great for tailgating), coolers, etc.

This year though, they have added the advantage of transferring your Red Cross points into Best Buy points. So far this year, I have earned $65 in Best Buy gift certificates and let me tell you, they have come in handy.

So you get while you give, and donating blood knowing your donation call help save up to three lives each time, that’s a pretty damn good feeling. And it doesn’t cost you a cent!

Please consider donating today. Believe me, the first time I did it, I was scared to death.

The benefits greatly outweigh any fear you may have.

One car accident victim could potentially require hundreds of units of blood. That’s not pints, that’s units. Donated blood is broken up into different units and used for various purposes, cancer victims, sickle cell patients. You have no idea what your one hour of sacrifice could mean to an individual and their loved ones.

No idea. Please consider it and call 1-800-givelife. Not all areas have the Red Cross blood drives, but if they don’t they are serviced by blood banks. You can also go to http://www.pleasegivelife.org and enter your zip code and they will provide you with information on blood drives in your area, as well as much more information on how your donation can help.

Obviously, this is a great passion of mine, so forgive me for babbling on. But I’m going to keep this thread going and bump it up on occassion. :D
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Give blood.....I don't believe that I can give anymore.....by-pass surgery this summer.....I have given over 5 gallons through the years...plus a couple of years worth of platelet donations.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • I used to be a regular donor...but not to the red cross but to the Rhode Island Blood Center

I used to donate "double reds" or Double Red Cells.

They would stick me on this machine, take out a pint of blood separate the red cells from the plasma and
    pump the plasma BACK into me...they did this twice in one visit.

The coolest thing is that when the plasma gets pumped back into you your hands go cold and your lips start to tingle.... :lol:

alas..I no longer can donate, but good for you anyway!!
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    The veins in my arms are really crappy and it takes forever for the nurse to find them, so I haven't donated in awhile. :? Maybe I should try again.
    And yes, they can find out your blood type if you donate. I got a card in the mail listing my blood type on it after I made a donation.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • So they wouldnt let me donate because I've had tattooing done in the past year. Thanks for the tips and info though, everyone.
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    I haven't been able to donate blood in over 8 years due to a chronic illness.

I miss being able to do so. It's such an easy way to help others.

It's nice to see so many people interested in donating.