Options

Turntable Recommendations

marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
edited November 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I know there are a lot of vinyl people on here and was just wondering what people here use as I'm looking to buy a decent turntable that's not too expensive.

My stereo receiver does not have a phonographic input which I'm assuming there is no amplifier as needed for many older turntables. Do all of the newer make turntables come with a built in amplifier or is there specific wording I should be looking for?

I noticed that many of the newer models only play 33 & 45, but I should be looking for one that plays 78 as well as I'm pretty sure I've seen a lot of 78s at my record store?

Some of the brands I've come across by looking through Amazon are Crosley, Pyle, and Numark. I like the retro look as my apartment could use all the decorative help as possible but not a big deal. I prefer the USB port which they all seem to have and RCA input and output jacks obviously. How much of a big deal is the automatic arm?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    audio technica AT-LP60

stay away from crosley
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    audio technica AT-LP60

stay away from crosley

Just checked it out, but it only plays two speeds, so I should not be worried about the 78 thing? Does it have a USB port?
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    i've been looking a little bit....

seems pro-ject iii is a popular choice, as is the technices 1200 (?)

i don't get the love for the usb out. personally, i wouldn't want one, as that's money the manufactur could have put to making it play records better

i also don't think you will find a RCA in on your turntable. :|

rumor has it, you will need an pre amp that you connect the rca outs to before running it to your reciever.

this thread was just going recently and had some solid info...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17519
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,781
    I'd get one that goes round in circles. But thats just me. ;)
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I have a Denon DP-29F Analog Turntable about 149 @ amazon and has a built in amplifier.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,781
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I have a Denon DP-29F Analog Turntable about 149 @ amazon and has a built in amplifier.
    Denon is good stuff. Guy I used to work for used to "sell" denon for his home audio,home theater, security business.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    81 wrote:

i don't get the love for the usb out. personally, i wouldn't want one, as that's money the manufactur could have put to making it play records better

rumor has it, you will need an pre amp that you connect the rca outs to before running it to your reciever.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17519

That's a good point about the USB thing, it just seems to common with most of the newer makes and I just wonder if it's something I'll want later. And the RCA input is not a big deal I suppose, I just figured if it's going to have USB port and software, I mine as save some money on buying a recording program, which are fairly inexpensive anyway.

But it's a good point that I should focus on the actual playing and care of the vinyl.

I think I understand the importance of it having an amp output, my only question remains as what people think about buying a two speed, 33 and 1/3, & 45 vs. a turntable that plays 3 speeds including 78?
  • Options
    F5AgainstOneF5AgainstOne New Hampshire, USA Posts: 1,462
    EV Solo Boston 6/16/11
    East Troy 9/3/11
    East Troy 9/4/11
    Amsterdam 6/26/12
    Amsterdam 6/27/12
    Wrigley Field 7/19-20/13
    Worcester, MA 10/15/13
    Worcester, MA 10/16/13
    Hartford, CT 10/25/13
    Seattle, WA 12/06/13
    Denver, CO 10/22/14
    Fenway 2016 #1
    Fenway 2016 #2
    Fenway 2018 #1
    Fenway 2018 #2
  • Options
    marcos wrote:
    81 wrote:

http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17519

That's a good point about the USB thing, it just seems to common with most of the newer makes and I just wonder if it's something I'll want later. And the RCA input is not a big deal I suppose, I just figured if it's going to have USB port and software, I mine as save some money on buying a recording program, which are fairly inexpensive anyway.

But it's a good point that I should focus on the actual playing and care of the vinyl.

I think I understand the importance of it having an amp output, my only question remains as what people think about buying a two speed, 33 and 1/3, & 45 vs. a turntable that plays 3 speeds including 78?
    Its nice to have options, the lp120 does 33/45/78, has built-in preamp, usb output... quite nice for the $$$
    EV Solo Boston 6/16/11
    East Troy 9/3/11
    East Troy 9/4/11
    Amsterdam 6/26/12
    Amsterdam 6/27/12
    Wrigley Field 7/19-20/13
    Worcester, MA 10/15/13
    Worcester, MA 10/16/13
    Hartford, CT 10/25/13
    Seattle, WA 12/06/13
    Denver, CO 10/22/14
    Fenway 2016 #1
    Fenway 2016 #2
    Fenway 2018 #1
    Fenway 2018 #2
  • Options
    cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    I just bought a Denon DP-35F used at a record store for $110. It came with a $100 cartridge(so I'm told by the needle doctor).

This thing plays great!
  • Options

I was just looking at this one, real nice price, what does the switchable preamp thing mean? Can this play on a receiver without the phono button for amplification?
  • Options
    crazypjfan wrote:
    I just bought a Denon DP-35F used at a record store for $110. It came with a $100 cartridge(so I'm told by the needle doctor).

This thing plays great!

Amazon has it for 149.00, the other posts mentioned this as well, looks good.
  • Options
    marcos wrote:

I was just looking at this one, real nice price, what does the switchable preamp thing mean? Can this play on a receiver without the phono button for amplification?
    Switchable means that you can use your receiver's phono preamp (phono input - it seems like you don't have one)
    or use the turntable's preamp and connect it to another audio input on your receiver such as cd or aux...

One thing to keep in mind is that phono preamps are usually much quieter than a CD player or other source. This means that you will need to turn the volume up higher on the receiver to achieve the same volume as another source. Its not a big deal, just be aware. Alternatively you could buy an external preamp with a gain control
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A36XZS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=A121YN9IMLF9Q
    in order to match the volume output of your cd player... there not much point really, I just turn my receiver up a few more notches.
    EV Solo Boston 6/16/11
    East Troy 9/3/11
    East Troy 9/4/11
    Amsterdam 6/26/12
    Amsterdam 6/27/12
    Wrigley Field 7/19-20/13
    Worcester, MA 10/15/13
    Worcester, MA 10/16/13
    Hartford, CT 10/25/13
    Seattle, WA 12/06/13
    Denver, CO 10/22/14
    Fenway 2016 #1
    Fenway 2016 #2
    Fenway 2018 #1
    Fenway 2018 #2
  • Options
    Switchable means that you can use your receiver's phono preamp (phono input - it seems like you don't have one)
    or use the turntable's preamp and connect it to another audio input on your receiver such as cd or aux...

One thing to keep in mind is that phono preamps are usually much quieter than a CD player or other source. This means that you will need to turn the volume up higher on the receiver to achieve the same volume as another source. Its not a big deal, just be aware. Alternatively you could buy an external preamp with a gain control
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A36XZS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=A121YN9IMLF9Q
    in order to match the volume output of your cd player... there not much point really, I just turn my receiver up a few more notches.

Thanks for that. I like the Audio-Techna ATLP, now wondering if I should go with the 120, which plays 3 speeds, for 218.00 or the 60, which only plays two speeds for 79.95.
  • Options
    marcos wrote:

Thanks for that. I like the Audio-Techna ATLP, now wondering if I should go with the 120, which plays 3 speeds, for 218.00 or the 60, which only plays two speeds for 79.95.
    I was in the exact same boat maybe 2 months ago :lol:
    I must say, I am very happy that I wen with the 120.
    EV Solo Boston 6/16/11
    East Troy 9/3/11
    East Troy 9/4/11
    Amsterdam 6/26/12
    Amsterdam 6/27/12
    Wrigley Field 7/19-20/13
    Worcester, MA 10/15/13
    Worcester, MA 10/16/13
    Hartford, CT 10/25/13
    Seattle, WA 12/06/13
    Denver, CO 10/22/14
    Fenway 2016 #1
    Fenway 2016 #2
    Fenway 2018 #1
    Fenway 2018 #2
  • Options
    cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    marcos wrote:
    crazypjfan wrote:

This thing plays great!

Amazon has it for 149.00, the other posts mentioned this as well, looks good.

The other one mentioned was a DP-29F. Not sure what the difference is though..
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    I wouldn't be worrying about 78 rpm unless you like music produced in the 1920s and 30s - since 1949 or something 33rpm has been the standard for LPs, with singles coming in at 45rpm. Playing 78s may have some appeal for you - but it's usage would be pretty niche to say the least
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    AfghanTwilightAfghanTwilight Rochester, NY Posts: 835
    Don't worry about playing 78's. Sure, there are some still around, but you're less apt to seek them out. Django Rinehardt notwithstanding.

Here is some good information about enjoying 78's:
    http://www.soundhifi.com/78.html

My only advice is not to dive in too deep at the start. Find out if the experience is for you. You buy a higher end unit it WILL require you to maintain it. It's quite awesome being able to add component pieces to your turntable, but it gets expensive, and if you need a repair. Well, be prepared to treat it like paying for an unexpected car repair.

Do you want the performance of direct drive, or the economy of belt drive?

Ask yourself how much you really intend on using it. Many people dive in because they think it's cool to have a record collection, yet they find the experience very confining. There is a very discernable difference in sound from analog to digital, but it's not for everyone. You can't take the music with you in it's native form. (I think i've only once ever seen a car with a turntable installed in it. Seriously.)

Why not try the entry level offering from Sony?

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-PS-LX250H-Au ... 613&sr=1-1

It's a great little turntable for most people and it's VERY affordable.

Otherwise, there's this from AudioTechnica:
    http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT-LP60- ... 613&sr=1-3
  • Options
    bosshogg18bosshogg18 Tacoma, WA Posts: 1,082
    audio technica AT-LP60

stay away from crosley

The Audio Technica AT-LP60 is belt-driven and not direct. I don't know anything about turntables, but from the multiple friends I have asked, they have all told me to stay away from belt-driven turntables. I can't recall why, so maybe someone could explain.
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    bosshogg18 wrote:
    audio technica AT-LP60

stay away from crosley

The Audio Technica AT-LP60 is belt-driven and not direct. I don't know anything about turntables, but from the multiple friends I have asked, they have all told me to stay away from belt-driven turntables. I can't recall why, so maybe someone could explain.

In my day direct drive turntables were used by DJs who wanted quicker response time when adjusting pitch etc, and most 'hi-fi' turntables were belt driven.

I was just looking through a googled thread on this, and this was one kind of typical quote:

"Belt drive all the way. Period. Direct drives send motor noise right into the platter. The better 'tables isolate the motor in every possible way including separate stands outside of the plinth. But they ALL start by using a belt which absorbs/diffuses motor noise."

http://www.stereophile.com/content/dire ... urntable-1
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    Thank you so much everyone for your excellent advice as I knew it would. I hope to help you all similarly in the future; this community never let's me down!
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    yes, get one, you won't regret it