Learning bass

GivenToLukinKPGivenToLukinKP Posts: 3,076
edited December 2011 in Musicians and Gearheads
So,
after at least 15 years of wishing I had done it, Ive finally decided to try to learn to play bass. I am completely 100% musically illiterate. I have always loved the sound of a bass and have been really yearning to find a creative outlet again besides writing and painting.
I think that is enough of a drive to get me through figuring out if this is really for me.

I finally gave up the "Im too old and stupid to play" attitude...of course, now I'm a couple of days in and, um, feeling really stupid! :lol:

Im working on proper form and fluid movement, creating (and keeping!) a steady rythm. Really having a hard time with my fretting hand (I cant seem to curve it enough comfortably to avoid the 'g' string.

Any tips, advice, websites, books, etc that you can recommend to an absolute beginner would be very much appreciated :D

thanks friends!
Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• So,
    after at least 15 years of wishing I had done it, Ive finally decided to try to learn to play bass. I am completely 100% musically illiterate. I have always loved the sound of a bass and have been really yearning to find a creative outlet again besides writing and painting.
    I think that is enough of a drive to get me through figuring out if this is really for me.

I finally gave up the "Im too old and stupid to play" attitude...of course, now I'm a couple of days in and, um, feeling really stupid! :lol:

Im working on proper form and fluid movement, creating (and keeping!) a steady rythm. Really having a hard time with my fretting hand (I cant seem to curve it enough comfortably to avoid the 'g' string.

Any tips, advice, websites, books, etc that you can recommend to an absolute beginner would be very much appreciated :D

thanks friends!

If you really want to start playing a lot of rock music, learn the notes that are within chords. 5th's, 7th's, majors, and minors. That is where you will get your "fills" from. Once you learn that you can do all kinds of different things within a song. Making good fills is hard to teach and takes a lot of practice. It took me about three years and it has greatly improved my playing. Also, being musically literate isn't necessary BUT it does help and if you have the time I really suggest taking some lessons. You can learn from someone how to properly finger and do technical things with music. Even learn how to read music which, I can do but I'm not very quick at. I could improve that for sure. Also, get ready for your fingers to be raw. I recommend learning to play with fingers and pics. You will need them both for getting proper tones.

Enjoy and feel free to P.M. me if you have any questions. If you have something you need to know I can also ask my former bass teacher for you. He has a bachelors degree in bass performance. :lol:

(Been playing bass for about five years.)

• If you really want to start playing a lot of rock music, learn the notes that are within chords. 5th's, 7th's, majors, and minors. That is where you will get your "fills" from. Once you learn that you can do all kinds of different things within a song. Making good fills is hard to teach and takes a lot of practice. It took me about three years and it has greatly improved my playing. Also, being musically literate isn't necessary BUT it does help and if you have the time I really suggest taking some lessons. You can learn from someone how to properly finger and do technical things with music. Even learn how to read music which, I can do but I'm not very quick at. I could improve that for sure. Also, get ready for your fingers to be raw. I recommend learning to play with fingers and pics. You will need them both for getting proper tones.

Enjoy and feel free to P.M. me if you have any questions. If you have something you need to know I can also ask my former bass teacher for you. He has a bachelors degree in bass performance. :lol:

I actually am considering lessons, but I want at least a bit of a foundation before I even show my face to a proper teacher :lol:
    Im lucky I have a friend with a million bass guitars and he has given me one of his lower end ones as an indefinite loaner until I figure out if I want to make the investment. Its a decent enough bass for a beginner (i think at least? Washburn bantam xb something or other). That, along with a little peavey 15w amp, a tuner with a metronome and a set of headphones is proving to be great entertainment. I don't think I need anything else yet? Im pouring over internet stuff and youtube videos, hoping to get a bit of the basics down at least before enlisting professional help :D I plan to go to the music store and look for some beginners books too.

Thank you so much for your input. really super appreciated! Im working with my fingers alone right now, but will start doing some pic playing once I feel comfortable. I really am SO new to this, just gettin the feel of the instrument and gettin familiar with proper form/where the notes are exactly; basic fingering is top of my list at the moment. It just doesnt feel natural to hold my left hand where my thumb is so perpendicular to the neck...cramping my wrist up kinda nasty. I will def take your advice and work on the 5ths, 7ths, majors, minors, etc.

Why did I wait so long? Its not easy but it feels good. I already can tell a difference in my comfort level between tonight and last night. Very hopeful. :mrgreen:
    Makes much more sense...

2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    are you trying to snag a guy with your bass?
  • conman wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

If i didnt know what this was in reference to, I wouldnt be laughing so hard :lol::lol::lol:
    Makes much more sense...

• conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    conman wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

If i didnt know what this was in reference to, I wouldnt be laughing so hard :lol::lol::lol:
    :P :lol:

• If you really want to start playing a lot of rock music, learn the notes that are within chords. 5th's, 7th's, majors, and minors. That is where you will get your "fills" from. Once you learn that you can do all kinds of different things within a song. Making good fills is hard to teach and takes a lot of practice. It took me about three years and it has greatly improved my playing. Also, being musically literate isn't necessary BUT it does help and if you have the time I really suggest taking some lessons. You can learn from someone how to properly finger and do technical things with music. Even learn how to read music which, I can do but I'm not very quick at. I could improve that for sure. Also, get ready for your fingers to be raw. I recommend learning to play with fingers and pics. You will need them both for getting proper tones.

I actually am considering lessons, but I want at least a bit of a foundation before I even show my face to a proper teacher :lol:
    Im lucky I have a friend with a million bass guitars and he has given me one of his lower end ones as an indefinite loaner until I figure out if I want to make the investment. Its a decent enough bass for a beginner (i think at least? Washburn bantam xb something or other). That, along with a little peavey 15w amp, a tuner with a metronome and a set of headphones is proving to be great entertainment. I don't think I need anything else yet? Im pouring over internet stuff and youtube videos, hoping to get a bit of the basics down at least before enlisting professional help :D I plan to go to the music store and look for some beginners books too.

Thank you so much for your input. really super appreciated! Im working with my fingers alone right now, but will start doing some pic playing once I feel comfortable. I really am SO new to this, just gettin the feel of the instrument and gettin familiar with proper form/where the notes are exactly; basic fingering is top of my list at the moment. It just doesnt feel natural to hold my left hand where my thumb is so perpendicular to the neck...cramping my wrist up kinda nasty. I will def take your advice and work on the 5ths, 7ths, majors, minors, etc.

Why did I wait so long? Its not easy but it feels good. I already can tell a difference in my comfort level between tonight and last night. Very hopeful. :mrgreen:

I have no idea about that bass but Victor Wooten said it best.. Something along the lines of it not mattering what kind of bass you have. As you progress (and if you enjoy it) you can get a better bass. I currently play a Warwick bass but it doesn't matter, it's all the about the tone you are looking for. It is nice to know the fingering and, trust me on this, eventually you will need to know where notes are without even having to guess. It all comes with a lot of practice. Just learn the root notes are and you can plunk along with pretty much anything. Here, try playing "Light Years" on this chord sheet. http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/p/pearl ... rs_crd.htm (on the verse play an A# and not the Bm. Just play along with the root notes. It starts out with a D on the intro too.
  • Or "Thin Air", even easier. You can do it!

http://www.azchords.com/p/pearljam-tabs ... 12578.html
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    Here's a lesson link.

I can't really speak to how helpful it is

http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Hold-a ... -517006782
  • Rollings wrote:
    Here's a lesson link.

Good Stuff
  • Just learn the root notes are and you can plunk along with pretty much anything. Here, try playing "Light Years" on this chord sheet. http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/p/pearl ... rs_crd.htm (on the verse play an A# and not the Bm. Just play along with the root notes. It starts out with a D on the intro too.

:shock:

:?
    Or "Thin Air", even easier. You can do it!

http://www.azchords.com/p/pearljam-tabs ... 12578.html

:? :?

this is gonna be a looong process

:lol::lol::lol:
    Makes much more sense...

• Rollings wrote:
    Here's a lesson link.

:thumbup:

these vids= more my speed :mrgreen:

Im only 2 days into this, afterall :mrgreen::mrgreen:

thanks guys--and pfp, you better believe I am heading right back here for Light Years when I am able for it. One of my favorite pj songs ever :D
    Makes much more sense...

• Rollings wrote:
    Here's a lesson link.

:thumbup:

these vids= more my speed :mrgreen:

Im only 2 days into this, afterall :mrgreen::mrgreen:

thanks guys--and pfp, you better believe I am heading right back here for Light Years when I am able for it. One of my favorite pj songs ever :D

Oh you'll have that in no time. Pretty simple song.

Have fun slappin' da bass. Well, that's for another day and I'm not a good person to ask about that. :lol:

-Will

• Oh you'll have that in no time. Pretty simple song.

Have fun slappin' da bass. Well, that's for another day and I'm not a good person to ask about that. :lol:

-Will

I think the problem lies more in the fact that I have no clue how to read this stuff yet....not that its a hard song to play :lol::lol:

slappin---none of that will be going on for a long, long, long time :)

thanks for your help!! You will probably get some strange PMs from me :lol:

(are you the guy I talked to a while back about the custom painted PJ chucks and you wanted the avocado ones?)
    Makes much more sense...

• Oh you'll have that in no time. Pretty simple song.

-Will

I think the problem lies more in the fact that I have no clue how to read this stuff yet....not that its a hard song to play :lol::lol:

slappin---none of that will be going on for a long, long, long time :)

thanks for your help!! You will probably get some strange PMs from me :lol:

(are you the guy I talked to a while back about the custom painted PJ chucks and you wanted the avocado ones?)
    Oh...

You just play the note when the word is sung. You'll get it.

No problem with PM's. Happy to help.

Yes that was me. How did it turn out for your quote? I didn't go with it.
  • CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    Bass players where funny hats, smoke all of the pot, and love chili for some weird reason.. be warned and adapt accordingly..
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Bass players where funny hats, smoke all of the pot, and love chili for some weird reason.. be warned and adapt accordingly..

noted.

thanks Cav!! :lol:
    Makes much more sense...

• LoulouLoulou Posts: 6,247
    Wooooooooo go for it Kel! Love to help you with some advice but I have no clue how to play a bass. Good luck Bugaboo!:thumbup:
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Loulou wrote:
    Wooooooooo go for it Kel! Love to help you with some advice but I have no clue how to play a bass. Good luck Bugaboo!:thumbup:

thanks girl!! xoxox i stopped at a music store tonight and the guy offered me lessons for a decent price. i may take him up on that after the holidays are through :)
    Makes much more sense...

• In order to develop some tightness and have a lot more fun playing bass get a drum machine or find some people to jam with.
    Nothing can boost your progress more than people who keep you on your toes.
  • GB207565GB207565 Posts: 18
    edited January 2012
    I just started playing bass about 18 months ago at age 35, like the op, I'd always wanted to but didn't feel like I was ready to commit to learning until years later.

Anyway, I reckon it's worth getting lessons straight away to avoid developing too many bad habits. When you start is when you need lessons the most, and can work on technique etc, later you can do more and more on your own.

It's a long road, and I'm still wondering when I'll stop feeling like a beginner! But for me it's a lifetime thing, I wish I started earlier, but man I'm glad I finally got into it. Stick with it!
    Post edited by GB207565 on
  • GB207565 wrote:
    I just started playing bass about 18 months ago at age 35, like the op, I'd always wanted to but didn't feel like I was ready to commit to learning until years later.

Anyway, I reckon it's worth getting lessons straight away to avoid developing too many bad habits. When you start is when you need lessons the most, and can work on technique etc, later you can do more and more on your own.

It's a long road, and I'm still wondering when I'll stop feeling like a beginner! But for me it's a lifetime thing, I which I started earlier, but man I'm glad I finally got into it. Stick with it!

Once someone praises you for your playing you can stop calling yourself a beginner.

It was a turning point for me for sure.
  • So how's the playing going? Have any questions?

Remember I have a friend (and mentor, he taught me to play) that has a bachelors degree in bass performance. If you have any technical questions I can relay those to him anytime.

I'll probably be stopping by his shop this week. Probably tomorrow...