Very ill friend

bmwtechbmwtech Posts: 33
edited December 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I met a man 7-8 years ago at work he was and had very little remaining family and few friends. As time passed being he was deaf I would make phone or help him when communication was an issue. We became very close and although currently he is 71 and I am 28 we had an friendship. He is 71 but would drink and hang out like he was 21. 2 years ago my father passed away from a heart attack at the same time my friends brother passed away, his last remaining family member. Naturally we became even closer both having to deal with some very difficult days. His father also died at the young age of 50 my father 51. With no friends left he has relied heavily on me for assistance from errands to going through his mail to drs appt. I have always wanted to move closer to him as my wife and kids have openly accepted him as a member of our family and to are committed to helping him. Like everyone else we are underwater in a house to small purchased before having kids and not willing to pay someone to take my house I just tell him to be patient. Last week my friend was diagnosed with an extremely large cancerous tumor in his right lung. This is difficult for both of us and I have always helped but I was unaware of his medical directive and naming of my as his power of attorney should he be deemed mentally unable to make choices. I dont want to make life changing or ending choices for anyone and have kind of ignored the subject. To make things worse I have always helped because we were great friends. In my friends will he is leaving me half of everything he has which he said would leave $150000 to me. His request when he dies I use the money to get the house I want with enough space for my family. This was a real game changer for me. A lot of people ask me why I am so close to an old deaf man and give me a hard time, they want to know whats in it for me. I now fear people will think I only helped for the money. In our time together he never led me to think I would receive any money or that he even had such an amount of money. Now when I see him or check in on him I feel very guilty about the money. How could I accept such fortune from the death of a loved one? Why am I here?
Sorry but I have kept this news to myself and needed some direction. I am jealous of the good advice given to other members and want some for myself. Please lend me some perspective.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    If people you know are automatically assuming that you're only in this friendship for some payday, that sounds like they're the ones with issues. Tell them to stop projecting their shitty morals on you. Is every relationship they have based on what's in it for them? If so, that's their problem, not yours. Sounds like they're just haters.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Nobody has claimed I was looking for money but I fear after the fact people would assume this. Above that I fear having to make medical choices for someone, and should they die can I honestly spend this money. Shouldnt someone step in and say I should not be allowed to make any treatment choices as I stand to inherit some money. I love my friend and would do anything to keep him alive and well but I fear the guilt I would have after receiving this money. I have never inherited anything or been in this situation and I have a lot never before feelings. My father died within an hour of having a heart attack so there was no coping with treatment side effects or treatments not working at all for that matter. The only property my father had was a truck he lived with me since my mother divorced him so dealing with his property was easy. My brother needed a truck let him have it, finished. I am just scared to be in such uncharted territory.
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Well, you should sit down with him (it will be a tough conversation I know) and find out what he wants to be done in certain situations. Have him lay out for you what he would want so there is little room for interpretation and you'll essentially be carrying out his wishes instead of making decisions for him. That is assuming he hasn't already spelled it out in a document or whatever. Many people facing death write out their wishes, for if they should end up on life support or whatever, so people don't make such important decisions for them while they are unable to do so.

This way you won't be making the decision to "kill" him or whatever, and I would think that would make you feel less guilty about accepting the money later. I know it won't make your friends passing any easier and all of that, but there won't be doubt creeping into your mind over whether or not you did the right thing. I know it's probably strange to benefit from the death of somebody, but it's what he wants. He wants to help you and your family after he passes.

Like I said, I know it's not an easy conversation to have, but it's a big responsibility and you need to know where he stands on these issues. You don't want to free-style something as important as this, and I think it would be much easier on you if you KNEW what to do instead of trying to make life altering decisions for another human being based on what you think he would want.

You shouldn't feel guilty about the money as far as treatment choices go, as long as you don't act out of malice, which I'm sure you won't. It's not like you're going to tell the doctors to pull the plug if the guy gets the sniffles.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • CareyCarey Posts: 2,361
    A few things come to my mind when I read your post. First, I am so sorry about your friend...it sounds like you have both been lucky to have each other through your own respective losses.

Do you happen to know if your friend has an advance health care directive (also called a living will)? You may already know what this is, but just in case, it's a legal document that spells out his wishes regarding his care, more specifically, end of life care when he may not be able to express his choices. This document can alleviate the pressure on the health care power of attorney (sounds like this is you). You become responsible for helping his wishes to be carried out, as opposed to guessing what he would want. If he is terminal, I am sure that social work or hospice would be happy to help him with this, and explain it to him. It's a hard discussion to have, but as a nurse, I always recommend to health care power of attorneys to make sure it has been discussed.

Also, are you his legal Power of Attorney as well? These are not always the same two people -- but you might be both for him. A lot of people that I have cared for in the hospital assume this is the same role. So I only know there is some confusion at times, and that's why I mention it. Similar to that, people confuse a Will with a Living Will and they are two different things as well.

I hope all goes smoothly for you, I am sure you have a lot to think about. Wishing you both well...
    "Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
  • Thanks for the response. He is flawed to the extent that when he has to make choices he always says "what do you think?" To this point I had no problem telling him what I think. I tried to ask him about the cemetery he buried his family and he asks do you think I am dying. I am trying to keep him positive and when speaking to him or trying to all I get is either what do you think or negativity. I guess I will have to muscle through.
    Unfortunately its not the sniffles we are dealing with.
  • Carey wrote:
    A few things come to my mind when I read your post. First, I am so sorry about your friend...it sounds like you have both been lucky to have each other through your own respective losses.

Do you happen to know if your friend has an advance health care directive (also called a living will)? You may already know what this is, but just in case, it's a legal document that spells out his wishes regarding his care, more specifically, end of life care when he may not be able to express his choices. This document can alleviate the pressure on the health care power of attorney (sounds like this is you). You become responsible for helping his wishes to be carried out, as opposed to guessing what he would want. If he is terminal, I am sure that social work or hospice would be happy to help him with this, and explain it to him. It's a hard discussion to have, but as a nurse, I always recommend to health care power of attorneys to make sure it has been discussed.

Also, are you his legal Power of Attorney as well? These are not always the same two people -- but you might be both for him. A lot of people that I have cared for in the hospital assume this is the same role. So I only know there is some confusion at times, and that's why I mention it. Similar to that, people confuse a Will with a Living Will and they are two different things as well.

I hope all goes smoothly for you, I am sure you have a lot to think about. Wishing you both well...

I am his legal power of attorney and his medical power of attorney. Fortunately I will only have to act if a doctor finds him incapable. Its is difficult to explain some things to him as he is deaf and hardly reads/writes. I dont know sign but we kind of make it up as we go and he can read lips and talk a little. I feel like in the past if it was hard to explain something to him I could just water it down a little but I cant in this case.
    bmwtech wrote:
    Thanks for the response. He is flawed to the extent that when he has to make choices he always says "what do you think?" To this point I had no problem telling him what I think. I tried to ask him about the cemetery he buried his family and he asks do you think I am dying. I am trying to keep him positive and when speaking to him or trying to all I get is either what do you think or negativity. I guess I will have to muscle through.

You are in a tough spot, no doubt. Fortunately, where his advance health care directives are concerned, you should have health care professionals available to you to help with this. Don't be afraid to pull a nurse, or his pulmonologist, or whomever aside to ask them about this. They can be more direct than you in asking the questions if you need help. Also, the hospital will have an ASL interpreter for you if he signs. This may help you when the time comes to have a more frank discussion. Doesn't sound like he's quite ready yet....
  • Thanks for the advice! I am taking him to the oncologist to discuss I hope treatment but fear there will be very little options. While in the hospital the nurses all at different times told me the prognosis was bleak but this was unofficial as the doctors report wasnt finished. I feel like there is more honesty in speaking with nurses as opposed to doctors where I feel like a "customer." Please wish him well. In the mean time I will speak with someone about a health care directive. If he has one is this something he may have given to his primary care physician? If so, why would they need me?
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Good thoughts sent to you and your friend.

first off I'd like to say you must be a wonderful person to be friends and help this person out, he is really lucky to have you.

To the issue of his estate. That is nobodies business. Don't worry about it, if people ask where you got the money for another house, just tell them to "mind their own".
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    bmwtech wrote:
    Thanks for the advice! I am taking him to the oncologist to discuss I hope treatment but fear there will be very little options. While in the hospital the nurses all at different times told me the prognosis was bleak but this was unofficial as the doctors report wasnt finished. I feel like there is more honesty in speaking with nurses as opposed to doctors where I feel like a "customer." Please wish him well. In the mean time I will speak with someone about a health care directive. If he has one is this something he may have given to his primary care physician? If so, why would they need me?

Yes, this is something his PCP may know about. And each and every time a patient is admitted to the hospital, they will ask for (yet another) copy to be placed on his chart. (it's a little obnoxious to keep having to produce the same documents, but it will most likely be asked of you). The Health Care POA signs consent forms and such when the patient becomes unable to do so. If you can't sign, they may call you and ask for a verbal consent over the phone (for tests and treatments). There also may be smaller issues that arise that are not covered in the Living Will, and they would defer to the Health Care POA on these issues if necessary. I hope this helps...
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    edited November 2011
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Good thoughts sent to you and your friend.

first off I'd like to say you must be a wonderful person to be friends and help this person out, he is really lucky to have you.

To the issue of his estate. That is nobodies business. Don't worry about it, if people ask where you got the money for another house, just tell them to "mind their own".

this is my line of thinking

this man is extremely fortunate to have you in his life and i feel certain that he knows where your loyalties lay
    getting financial relief for your family is the good that you've sent out coming back to you
    and i believe that by giving you this money your friend has found some peace and happiness in his end days
    Post edited by mysticweed on
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    So sorry to hear about your friend :(
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    You have obviously been a friend to this man for more than a little bit of time, so no one should question your motives.

I'm sorry he has taken ill, but all you do now is be there for him to the end.

And thank God for your blessings, it's obviously what he wants for you and your family, there is no need to feel guilty about it.

Take care of him and then take care of your family. God bless you.
  • bmwtech wrote:
    Thanks for the response. He is flawed to the extent that when he has to make choices he always says "what do you think?" To this point I had no problem telling him what I think. I tried to ask him about the cemetery he buried his family and he asks do you think I am dying. I am trying to keep him positive and when speaking to him or trying to all I get is either what do you think or negativity. I guess I will have to muscle through.

This is a really tough situation, because yes, you want to keep him positive.

But when you ask him a question about his wishes, and he gets fearful (that is where that "Do you think I am dying?" question is coming from), I would just try to communicate to him that you know as much as he does with regard to his prognosis...but you care very much about him and want to make sure that you abide by his wishes should something happen to him.

These are very difficult conversations to have - for both you and your friend. He sounds a bit like one of those who is afraid to talk about it, because talking about it might bring it about. Should that be the case, ask him to maybe write it all down and leave it someplace for you that you both agree on. That way, maybe it won't seem so real to him - he is just writing down his wishes...not planning his death with you, you know?

Tell him you want to make sure and take care of him in the way he hoped to be taken care of. He has to understand this - otherwise he would not have picked you to begin with.

He has selected you because he has confidence that you will follow his wishes. But he now has to tell you what those wishes are. If it is too uncomfortable for him to discuss them outright, then ask him to write everything down in such a way that you will be able to follow his instructions exactly as he would like. That might provide him some comfort, if phrased in such a way.
  • I appreciate all the support. We went to the oncologist for a consultation and were informed that his cancer was terminal. Apparently 50% of people pass away before 20 months but the doctor feels this cancer has been there for 12 months. The only thing they are sure is they will do nothing for him. I have spoken with him about some of his final wishes and I feel we have made progress. I feel terrible most of us have a family of some sort to come home to and if given such bad news could be consoled, he has just a few friends and no family. Please wish me well as I try to comfort him the best I can. He has been kind of humorous lately though the dr said very little alcohol he said F@#$ this I am dying lets go get some cocktails.