Options

latest addition to my little pack of 5 watt amps

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited November 2011 in Musicians and Gearheads
IMG_1136.JPG

Marshall Class 5. This thing is a gem. Still loud as hell just sounds perfect. Tried it in the shop through a 4x12 and it was a little dark but through my little cabinet sim setup at home it's exactly what I wanted. The EQ stack works well within it's limited range. It's really only got one sound but it's a good one. Pretty much just turn it to 10 and use your volume knob. Add a boost pedal for high gain metal tonezzzz.

Very pleased that's it's actually made in England too.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,158
    exhausted wrote:
    IMG_1136.JPG

Marshall Class 5. This thing is a gem. Still loud as hell just sounds perfect. Tried it in the shop through a 4x12 and it was a little dark but through my little cabinet sim setup at home it's exactly what I wanted. The EQ stack works well within it's limited range. It's really only got one sound but it's a good one. Pretty much just turn it to 10 and use your volume knob. Add a boost pedal for high gain metal tonezzzz.

no way!

i nearly bought one of these yesterday. i was on the fence and could not decide between this and a les paul with p-90s...so i left before i spent too much money on things that i did not necessarily need.... this thing sounded awesome at the store yesterday. very affordable too.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    exhausted wrote:
    IMG_1136.JPG

no way!

i nearly bought one of these yesterday. i was on the fence and could not decide between this and a les paul with p-90s...so i left before i spent too much money on things that i did not necessarily need.... this thing sounded awesome at the store yesterday. very affordable too.

Um turn around head back, purchase Les Paul with P 90's.....
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    exhausted wrote:
    IMG_1136.JPG

Nice, I two have a thing for low wattage amps. My mid 50's dual 6v6 Bronson is by far still my favorite. But i still dig my modded valve junior a 5222. I might have to go check one of th ese out. Sounds like the EQing is typical modern Marshall...
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

• Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    It's very similar to my valve jr (which has a new transformer and a tone/boost control) but the VJR is a little more burbley (vox or orange-ish). the marshall feels a bit smoother and can get into a higher gain range but they're quite close. The VJR is much brighter on lower volume clean settings.

The cabinet sim I use is basically a Fender 2x12" which feels the most neutral to me and works with all my amps. Well it's actually two 2x12s because the sim is in a POD and I run stereo models panned with a bit of chorus that you can't actually hear as chorus but as more 3D if that makes sense.

So for the money I was saving for the Cobain jag i got an US made SG jr and a UK made Marshall head. I think I made the right decisions.
  • Options
    exhausted wrote:
    IMG_1136.JPG

Congrats! I've been looking at getting one of these too.
    1991-11-30 St. Paul, MN 1992-08-28 St. Paul, MN 1998-06-30 Minneapolis, MN 2000-10-08 East Troy, WI 2003-06-16 St. Paul, MN 2006-06-26 St. Paul, MN 2006-06-27 St. Paul, MN 2006-07-07 San Diego, CA 2007-08-05 Chicago, IL 2008-06-24 New York, NY 2009-08-23 Chicago, IL 2009-08-24 Chicago, IL 2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis, MN 2011-09-03 PJ20 East Troy, WI 2011-09-04 PJ20 East Troy, WI 2013-07-19 Wrigley Chicago, IL 2014-10-19 St. Paul, MN
  • Options
    exhausted wrote:
    It's very similar to my valve jr (which has a new transformer and a tone/boost control) but the VJR is a little more burbley (vox or orange-ish). the marshall feels a bit smoother and can get into a higher gain range but they're quite close. The VJR is much brighter on lower volume clean settings.

The cabinet sim I use is basically a Fender 2x12" which feels the most neutral to me and works with all my amps. Well it's actually two 2x12s because the sim is in a POD and I run stereo models panned with a bit of chorus that you can't actually hear as chorus but as more 3D if that makes sense.

So for the money I was saving for the Cobain jag i got an US made SG jr and a UK made Marshall head. I think I made the right decisions.

You'll be hooked when that Junior shows up for sure...