Best Acoustic/Electric under $750

keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
edited February 2012 in Musicians and Gearheads
Any suggestions, am leaning towards the Seagull Performer Mini Jumbo, but any other suggestions would be helpful!
Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Can't go wrong with a Seagull.
    Tread Lightly.
  • drewdawgq wrote:
    Can't go wrong with a Seagull.
    That's what I'm thinking, I have an A&L that I've beat to shit over 5 years but still sounds great, I just want an upgrade!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • So, I went to a store today, played a Taylor 210. I am fucking sold, AMAZING instrument for the price. The only thing is now, do I get the 210E or the 110CE (the 110 has the cutaway, but the 210 sounded better).
  • Bump! Any more suggestions? I loved the Taylor 210E, but we'll see!
  • I've got a Martin DCX1E and love it.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin-DCX1 ... 1148384.gc
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Check out some Breedloves.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • I fell in love with my 114 taylor so much I had to get one made in the states so i jumped to the 314 worth every penny. I got a martin X series as well think it was 499 brand new but it played great too.
    so many choices just wish Gibson would some how come down below 3000$ Can't go wrong with one of those
    I guess thats why I am a drummer lol
    until next time......
  • If I was spending the money, I'd get:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ ... 1000010000

Solid top, laminate back and sides, stratabond neck, Fishman pickup.

I'm currently saving up for a Taylor, but I'm generally not a fan of the 1- and 2-series models (I'm saving toward a 314ce). In the named price range, Takamine and Seagull makes some great stuff, and there are even Ibanez and Yamaha models that are pretty good.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • If I was spending the money, I'd get:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ ... 1000010000

Solid top, laminate back and sides, stratabond neck, Fishman pickup.

I'm currently saving up for a Taylor, but I'm generally not a fan of the 1- and 2-series models (I'm saving toward a 314ce). In the named price range, Takamine and Seagull makes some great stuff, and there are even Ibanez and Yamaha models that are pretty good.
    I played the Yamaha's and Seagull's in the store (and I'm normally a big fan of Godin brands) but I didn't really dig either. Gotta try some Taks in the store though! The lower end Martin's didn't impress me, but maybe I need to play some more.

314 CE is a beautiful instrument, just can't swing one right now.
  • Bought a Tak for $600 a few years ago.

A very "bright" sound.

Not the warm sound I like when trying to be Stone- but great for trying to be Mike.
  • The budget has grown significantly... Now looking into Martins (Performance4 Series) or maybe a used Taylor 300 series.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    I've never met a cutaway acoustic I've liked. For whatever reason. I just don't dig them. I recommend something non-cutaway with a non-intrusive (i.e. no onboard control panel etc cut into the side) pickup system.

Dig into the used inventory of the stores. Try to find something with some miles on it that's broken in. You get a more expensively built guitar for the same price as something new but made more cheaply.

Find something that works well, slap an LR baggs anthem SL into it and go to town.
  • exhausted wrote:
    I've never met a cutaway acoustic I've liked. For whatever reason. I just don't dig them. I recommend something non-cutaway with a non-intrusive (i.e. no onboard control panel etc cut into the side) pickup system.

Dig into the used inventory of the stores. Try to find something with some miles on it that's broken in. You get a more expensively built guitar for the same price as something new but made more cheaply.

Find something that works well, slap an LR baggs anthem SL into it and go to town.
    I played a Martin GPCPA4, I'm in love.
  • Ordering the Martin on Saturday, can't wait! My first Martin!
  • inlet13inlet13 Posts: 1,979
    So, I went to a store today, played a Taylor 210. I am fucking sold, AMAZING instrument for the price. The only thing is now, do I get the 210E or the 110CE (the 110 has the cutaway, but the 210 sounded better).

I got the 210E... it's great.
    Here's a new demo called "in the fire":

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt; <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href=" - In the Fire (demo)</a> by <a href="
  • hostishostis Posts: 441
    I have a seagull s6 and martin dcx1ke.... and I keep going back to playing the seagull... I just love the slightly wider neck....
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,403
    I also have a martin dcx1e and absolutely love it.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • I bought a Martin GPCPA4, absolutely love it!
  • inlet13 wrote:
    So, I went to a store today, played a Taylor 210. I am fucking sold, AMAZING instrument for the price. The only thing is now, do I get the 210E or the 110CE (the 110 has the cutaway, but the 210 sounded better).

I got the 210E... it's great.

+1. I have it as well and it is a great sounding, great playing guitar.

If You Like Crunchy Guitar Riffs, Powerful Vocals, Melodic Guitar Solos, And Meaningful Lyrics..then you need to check out one of the most refreshing new hard rock bands in quite some time...-->The Liberty Underground<--
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
  • acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    Martin is the way to go...hands down.
    Seagull is horrible in my opinion.
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • I hope to get a Seagull some day. Been thinking about one for 6 years. Don't think I'll ever afford a good Martin.
    Seagull makes a great guitar for the money (IMO), Martin just for more money made a better guitar.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    Seagull makes a great guitar for the money (IMO), Martin just for more money made a better guitar.

And for the price of most high end Martin's you can find better. I've picked up a gob of Martin's at stores and never once thought I was holding a $2k acoustic guitar.
    DewieCox wrote:

And for the price of most high end Martin's you can find better. I've picked up a gob of Martin's at stores and never once thought I was holding a $2k acoustic guitar.
    Mine cost around $1100, was the best I played in the price range.
  • acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Just throwing it out there for folks who pop in....

Check out the Taylor GSmini, bit shorter neck by an inch or so, nice auditorium style body -- made in Mexico with lamy sides and back but an acceptable spruce top. Great Taylor action/set-up and a surprisingly big sound for $500. Comes wired for a pickup, takes 5 minutes to pop on in, but it is extra.

Just got one for my teenage daughter -- and I don't prefer Taylor's sound for the most part, but we both really loved this guitar.
    [sic] happens
  • Looks like you made your selection, but to anyone else who may be in the market, I've become a HUGE fan of the Epiphone Masterbilts. With the laminate Taylor's and Martin's you end up paying for the name (for the record I am a HUGE Martin fan). But the masterbilts have all solid wood, great construction, nice fret boards, and sound amazing plugged in or acoustic. Have a DR500MCE and don't think I will ever buy another 6 string.
    here for the music...