mashed potatoes (thanksgiving)

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,106
edited November 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
We don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Sweden (obviously) but tomorrow there's gonne be a "thanksgiving themed" party here and I am responsible for the mashed (sweet) potatoes.

The recipe I got hold of only mentions salt and pepper as spices? Anyone got some tips on how to make it even better? Some other spices or something? Bet all of you americans should know :)
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Cream cheese!!! The secret weapon to true American mashed potatoes!

or some heavy cream :)

Gotta keep them moist no matter what.
    Rochester NY 10/27/91 - Toronto 8/5/92 - Toronto 8/18/93 - Rochester NY 4/7/94 - Buffalo 10/1/96 - Toronto 8/22/98 - NY Jones Beach 8/25/00 - Saratoga 8/27/00 - NJ 9/2/00 - Philly 4/28/03 - NJ 7/6/03 - NJ 7/14/03 - Philly 10/3/05 - NJ 5/27/06 - NJ 5/28/06 - DC 5/30/06 - Paris 9/11/06 - NJ 6/19/08 - NJ 6/20/08 - Philly 10/28/09 - Philly 10/30/09 - NY (SNL) 3/13/10 - MSG 5/20/10 - MSG 5/21/10 - Eddie (Philly) 6/25/10 - Toronto 9/11/11 - Toronto 9/12/11 - Eddie (Phoenix) 11/4/12 - Philly 9/2/12 - Buffalo 10/12/13 - Philly 10/21/13 - Philly 10/22/13 - Hartford 10/25/13 - Baltimore 10/27/13 - Seattle 12/6/13 - Detroit 10/16/14 - Hampton 4/18/16 - Columbia SC 4/21/16 - Boston 8/5/16 - Chicago 8/18/18 - Chicago 8/20/18 - Boston 9/2/18
  • Ranch Dressing (not too much)
  • mash up the sweet potatoes

add a can of crushed pineapple and mash that in there

bake it

when it's hot throw marshmallows on top of it and bake them til they are browning - but note they will expand, so make sure there's plenty of room in the dish otherwise you'll have melted goo all over the oven
  • CareyCarey Posts: 2,361
    merileyjr wrote:
    Cream cheese!!! The secret weapon to true American mashed potatoes!

In sweet potatoes too? Haven't ever tried that, but IMO cream cheese could ruin nothing.....
    "Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
  • Carey wrote:
    merileyjr wrote:

In sweet potatoes too? Haven't ever tried that, but IMO cream cheese could ruin nothing.....

Maybe cream cheese with garlic could work?

The recipe I found had sweet potatoes, ordinary potatoes, cream and salt&peppar. So I add cream cheese to that.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    you add dairy to mash potatoes for texture and richness ... i myself don't do it because i try to avoid dairy ...

outside of that - if i was doing your mash ... i would roast the sweet potatoes with olive oil, rosemary and salt and pepper as well as some garlic ... then mash and serve ... maybe a nob of butter to smooth it out a bit ...
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,783
    Sweet potatoes need maple syrup, allspice, unsalted butter and a little bit of milk.
    Salt and pepper to taste.

A friend of mine adds a little bit of chipolte adobo and they come out sweet/hot=awesomeness.

If you really want to serve them as they do in the USA, add little marshmallows on top for the last few minutes of baking.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    We don't celebrate Thanksgiving in Sweden (obviously) but tomorrow there's gonne be a "thanksgiving themed" party here and I am responsible for the mashed (sweet) potatoes.

The recipe I got hold of only mentions salt and pepper as spices? Anyone got some tips on how to make it even better? Some other spices or something? Bet all of you americans should know :)

Mashed sweet potatoes taste good with butter, ground cloves, orange juice, brown sugar, and salt and pepper. :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    mash up the sweet potatoes

add a can of crushed pineapple and mash that in there

bake it

when it's hot throw marshmallows on top of it and bake them til they are browning - but note they will expand, so make sure there's plenty of room in the dish otherwise you'll have melted goo all over the oven

sounds......nasty
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    Scalloped sweet potatoes are the best...slice them, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and a about 30mL of brown sugar, drizzle apple juice to cover and bake uncovered until tender. Or another fave of mine...cut in cubes, bake with butter, honey and a little sprinkle of cinnamon. Do not mash and serve with marshmallows...that way is really not the best...unless you really do not want to taste any sweet potato flavour... ;)
  • I add a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg to mine, along with some honey and OJ :)
  • Time again for the Mashed potatoe king and a thankgsiving based party.

Last time it got a little bit too "smooth" so will add less cream this time around.

Anyone got an idea on a Thanksgiving based salad? Or can you only add pumpkin to an ordinary salad? :)
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I'm thinking about the menu for Thanksgiving this week too! For the first time in years, my sister and her husband will be here with us and she and I will be making some dishes together.

I love Thanksgiving! :D
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&

• Anyone got an idea on a Thanksgiving based salad? Or can you only add pumpkin to an ordinary salad? :)

There's no such thing as a Thanksgiving based salad. There's no room or need for it. It gets in the way of all the good stuff!
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self

• Anyone got an idea on a Thanksgiving based salad? Or can you only add pumpkin to an ordinary salad? :)

There's no such thing as a Thanksgiving based salad. There's no room or need for it. It gets in the way of all the good stuff!

:D , truth!
    Washington DC 2008
    Charlotte NC 2013
    Greenville SC 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    When mashing, add what you think is a crazy amount of butter sticks ... And then add one more ... :P
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    retropony wrote:

Anyone got an idea on a Thanksgiving based salad? Or can you only add pumpkin to an ordinary salad? :)

:D , truth!
    HAHAHAH. God damn right
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Jason P wrote:
    When mashing, add what you think is a crazy amount of butter sticks ... And then add one more ... :P
    Along with butter milk.
  • Carey wrote:
    merileyjr wrote:

She would be correct
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,772
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA