Options

Why is just about everything Limited Edition???

MASMAS Posts: 628
edited December 2011 in Given To Fly (live)
I would just like the reasoning behind it....will someone educate me please...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Eroom21Eroom21 Canada Posts: 100
    Because people are suckers. You can make anything limited edition you can charge a lot of money, and it is guaranteed to sell out. Go to the goods section, anything that isn't LE never sells out. And after the deluxe super, mega special edition Bluray/dvd debacle, people will buy anything labeled Limited Edition. This is really consumerism at its worst. I wonder if the 10c is doing some sort of social experiment. Testing how people react.
  • Options
    KingJeremyDKingJeremyD Posts: 2,313
    When the ten club tags an item with limited...They want everyone to think there isn't many of them..So, you the consumer will buy it...

I am just disappointed in the ten club lately...They promoted this pj20 for how long and they barely stock any of the merch..

Jeremy
  • Options
    KingJeremyDKingJeremyD Posts: 2,313
    I am going strictly with amazon.com on pearl jam merchandise..Unless amazon.com doesn't have it...Then I will go with 10c...But, shipping and handling is way to expensive...Plus, you have to be online whenever it goes on sale..To even get a shot at getting that item..

Jeremy
  • Options
    propro Posts: 134
    edited November 2011
    Limited Edition stuff goes in a flash :)
    Post edited by pro on
  • Options
    I understand the responses to the OP question, I just thought PJ was above those kind of tactics. I would have loved to have bought a BR PJ20 box or a PJ20 backback, but no, limited editions they were, so they were gone in a flash.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,746
    I understand the responses to the OP question, I just thought PJ was above those kind of tactics. I would have loved to have bought a BR PJ20 box or a PJ20 backback, but no, limited editions they were, so they were gone in a flash.

It sure was a pretty long flash, especially on the PJ20 Deluxe Edition sets. Wasn't it 3 weeks till that sold out? Can't remember how long the PJ2 backpack was available. PJ20 vinyl sold out in less then 24 hours here.

Though not sure what tactics you speak off. The band can't just manufacture a million copies of an item. What happens if half those items don't sell out? Store them behind the warehouse to collect dust for year's? Loose profit on the fact of making so much of them that they can't even sell them all. Yes we all agree the band should be making more of these limited edition items to make each & ever fan happy but how much more? The mind behind making / marketing these cool goodies should be reading the boards and think twice on making such a short amount of these rare items for their 10club members.
  • Options
    Eroom21 wrote:
    Go to the goods section, anything that isn't LE never sells out.

Wow, I haven't posted here in years, but this observation is just too classic not to point out...

And neither the BR set nor the backpack were gone in a 'flash'. The BR set was up for days/weeks and I guess I came really close to missing out, and the backpack was also something that I had some time to think about and in the end passed on it because it's just not my thing. And believe me, I spend very little time monitoring the goods section.

A surprising amount of discussion on the board now seems to revolve around getting or not getting various 'stuff'. It's a drag.
    'She runs through my veins like a long, black river and rattles my cage like a thunderstorm...' R. Adams.
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:

It sure was a pretty long flash, especially on the PJ20 Deluxe Edition sets. Wasn't it 3 weeks till that sold out? Can't remember how long the PJ2 backpack was available. PJ20 vinyl sold out in less then 24 hours here.

Though not sure what tactics you speak off. The band can't just manufacture a million copies of an item. What happens if half those items don't sell out? Store them behind the warehouse to collect dust for year's? Loose profit on the fact of making so much of them that they can't even sell them all. Yes we all agree the band should be making more of these limited edition items to make each & ever fan happy but how much more? The mind behind making / marketing these cool goodies should be reading the boards and think twice on making such a short amount of these rare items for their 10club members.

Sorry, my mistake; didn't realize they had been available for so long prior. Thanks for clarificatiion.
  • Options
    Can't they take an order. right if you want this item last day is such such, then do the run on how many you got
  • Options
    MudfestMudfest Posts: 1,015
    then they would be stuck wth 1000's of extra crappy items...
    Maybe people should be forced to buy Buffalo 2010 posters because there are lots left ...
    Street goes both ways..

Print x amount sell x amount .....
    This is like anything else in life... When something sells out it sells out ...gone...
    I am still looking for topps to send me the Jordan Rookie I am entitled too..but for some reason they wont....

Sick of these threads
    ===
    "OH Canada...You are so Beautiful when you are Drunk." Eddie
    1993-08-14 Gimli Mb Motorsport Park
    03-05-30 Vanc;05-09-08 Wpg
    05-09-07 Sask Sk;05-09-04 Calg
    05-09-05 Edm Alb;05-09-02 Vanc
    06-07-02/ 03 Denver 1 + 2;06-10-21/22 Bridge 1 +2
    4/3 + 4/2/08 Vanc Vedder ; 6/24+25 MSG /Toronto 09/buffalo 10/EV Chic 1-2
  • Options
    Theres not much to complain about when it comes to things being limited. Just don't see that as a legit gripe. Records, posters - we know thats limited and will be hard to get. The DVD boxset was a little surprising, i think alot of people here didn't think dvds would be held back.

What is a legit gripe are these surprise sales. i didn't receive email notifications for any sale - white BS, PJ20 posters, backpack, pj20 vinyl. I remember they used to, now if an email comes out, it comes too late. 10c knows things are limited, and they know things will be in demand. announce a sale like they do tickets. if they are keeping things limited, they have to give everyone a fair shot. announce the sale a few days in advance via email. and the facebook notification is garbage - not everyone is on facebook.

so, it really comes down to how "well" your social network is to get items? if you're connected to FB or have friends that check here constantly and text you? i'm constantly checking the boards (when i can) and have a few friends that will text me, but i still missed out on the PJ20 posters. luckily, i was at alpine, but if i wasn't and i was after a certain poster, i'd be upset.
  • Options
    dufferduffer Posts: 135

With things like the backpack and T shirts couldnt they advertise them to gauge how much interest there was in them ?
    Im sure they could take a deposit for certain stuff,then they would make sure they were not left with loads of stock nobody wanted.I would of had a backpack given the chance,maybe advertise an item for a month then most people would get a chance at getting something they want,anything would be better than having to read a dozen post's from people who missed out on something bitching about it.
    Sat drinking wine
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    edited November 2011
    demetrios wrote:

Blue Ray lasted about 3 weeks
    PJ20 vinyl lasted 19 hours by my math
    the backpack went fast, i never saw it go on sale
    posters go instantly (unless they are disliked by everyone)...but not many make it to the site. only the 3rd alpine poster lasted any amount of time
    Post edited by 81 on
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    F5AgainstOneF5AgainstOne New Hampshire, USA Posts: 1,462
    MAS wrote:
    Because its very hard to manufacture infinite amounts of anything.
    EV Solo Boston 6/16/11
    East Troy 9/3/11
    East Troy 9/4/11
    Amsterdam 6/26/12
    Amsterdam 6/27/12
    Wrigley Field 7/19-20/13
    Worcester, MA 10/15/13
    Worcester, MA 10/16/13
    Hartford, CT 10/25/13
    Seattle, WA 12/06/13
    Denver, CO 10/22/14
    Fenway 2016 #1
    Fenway 2016 #2
    Fenway 2018 #1
    Fenway 2018 #2
  • Options
    starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,908
    idk, i like LE stuff. it makes it feel more special. :mrgreen:
    Ithaca, NY-11/6/91 SPAC, NY-8/4/92 Rochester, NY-4/7/94 Toronto-9/21/96 Buffalo, NY-10/1/96 Barrie, ONT-8/20/98 Pittsburgh, PA- 8/25/98 Jones Beach, NY-8/23/00 Jones Beach, NY-8/24/00 Jones Beach, NY-8/25/00 SPAC, NY-8/27/00 Buffalo, NY-5/2/03 MSG-7/8/03 MSG -7/9/03 Hamilton, ONT-9/13/05 Albany, NY-5/12/06 Cleveland, OH-5/20/06 Camden, NJ-5/27/06 East Ruth, NJ-6/3/06 Chicago, IL-8/5/07 Bonnaroo-6/14/08 MSG-6/24/08 MSG-7/25/08 Mansfield, MA-7/30/08 Chicago, IL-8/23/09 Philly, PA-10/30/09 Philly, PA-10/31/09 Buffalo, NY 5/10/10 MSG 1&2 5/20-21/10
  • Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    MAS wrote:
    Because its very hard to manufacture infinite amounts of anything.

i was just going to post this
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    i just wish the bitching was limited edition
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    81 wrote:
    i just wish the bitching was limited edition
    :lol:
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    THANK YOU!! it's such a relief to hear people start calling out the tenclub and pearl jam on this bullshit! what's the point in being in the tenclub if we can't get any of the stuff that we really want??? i was on the morning that the pj20 vinyl went on sale and it was already sold out. wtf? and how'd i find out it was on sale? well, it certainly wasn't because i got an email from the tenclub letting me know. no, of course not. i just happened to check the website. and of course i'm just as pissed as everyone else about the whole pj20 deluxe dvd and that whole mess(which was way over priced as well). you know, everyone's always sucking off the tenclub and pearl jam and thanking them for everything they do for us, THE FANS. but how easily they seem to disregard that we all pay good, very good money for everything they "do" for us. it's not cheap being a pearl jam fan in this day and age. and it's even more expensive, somehow, to be a fan of eddie solo shows. all that have been know what i mean. i'm still trying to figure out how he commands a higher ticket price than the whole band does. i love these guys and the music they've created, but they've turned into one giant money making machine. and i'm sorry, but the bitching is not limited edition. and if it was, it would be over priced and out of stock.