Options

Rolling Stone Top 100 guitarists. Where is Mike?

Nothingman70Nothingman70 Posts: 127
edited November 2011 in The Porch
The fact that he is not on his list just goes to show that RS IS A FREAKING JOKE! Unreal because Mike as we all know is amazing :D
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,735
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists ... n-19691231

Mike McCready on Eddie Van Halen ..

When I was 11, I was at my guitar teacher’s place, and he put on "Eruption." It sounded like it came from another planet. I was just learning basic chords, stuff like AC/DC and Deep Purple; "Eruption" really didn’t make sense to me, but it was glorious, like hearing Mozart for the first time.

Eddie is a master of riffs: "Unchained," "Take Your Whiskey Home," the beginning of "Ain't Talking 'Bout Love." He gets sounds that aren't necessarily guitar sounds – a lot of harmonics, textures that happen just because of how he picks. There's a part in "Unchained" where it sounds like there's another instrument in the riff.

A lot of it is in his hands: the way he holds his pick between his thumb and middle finger, which opens things up for his finger-tapping. (When I found out he played that way, I tried it myself, but it was too weird.) But underneath that, Eddie has soul. It's like Hendrix – you can play the things he's written, but there's an X factor that you can't get.

Eddie still has it. I saw Van Halen on their reunion tour two years ago, and the second he came out, I felt that same thing I did when I was a kid. When you see a master, you know it.
  • Options
    While I agree that Mike (and Stone for that matter) should be on the list, you can't blame Rolling Stone for this one. The list was compiled using a panel of guitarists/musicians/music execs who all voted. This is how the list was compiled.
    MSG 7/8-7/9/03 -- Boston 9/28/04 -- Hartford 5/13/06 -- Boston 5/24-5/25/06 -- MSG 6/24-6/25/08 -- Hartford 6/27/08 -- Philly 10/31/09 -- Hartford 5/15/10 -- Boston 5/17/10
  • Options
    Nittany1bnNittany1bn Near Philadelphia Posts: 214
    the last time they did the list of greatest guitarists mike was left off, but joan jett made it! I love the Stones more than any other band, but Kieth Richards is like the third best guitar player they've had behind Mick Taylor and Ronnie Wood, he is not a top ten guitarist by any means.
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    While I agree that Mike (and Stone for that matter) should be on the list, you can't blame Rolling Stone for this one. The list was compiled using a panel of guitarists/musicians/music execs who all voted. This is how the list was compiled.
    And Mike was one of them that voted.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    demetrios wrote:
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-guitarists-20111123/eddie-van-halen-19691231

Mike McCready on Eddie Van Halen ..

When I was 11, I was at my guitar teacher’s place, and he put on "Eruption." It sounded like it came from another planet. I was just learning basic chords, stuff like AC/DC and Deep Purple; "Eruption" really didn’t make sense to me, but it was glorious, like hearing Mozart for the first time.

Eddie is a master of riffs: "Unchained," "Take Your Whiskey Home," the beginning of "Ain't Talking 'Bout Love." He gets sounds that aren't necessarily guitar sounds – a lot of harmonics, textures that happen just because of how he picks. There's a part in "Unchained" where it sounds like there's another instrument in the riff.

A lot of it is in his hands: the way he holds his pick between his thumb and middle finger, which opens things up for his finger-tapping. (When I found out he played that way, I tried it myself, but it was too weird.) But underneath that, Eddie has soul. It's like Hendrix – you can play the things he's written, but there's an X factor that you can't get.

Eddie still has it. I saw Van Halen on their reunion tour two years ago, and the second he came out, I felt that same thing I did when I was a kid. When you see a master, you know it.

Yeah saw them on same tour just amazing...I had for that tour as I always vowed to only see VH with David Lee Roth who I think is an amazing front man.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    He's a great guitar player dont get me wrong, but has he really done anything that has changed rock n roll or been super innovative? I'd like to hear some thoughts on specifically why he should be included if you feel he should be on the list.
  • Options
    JUKINJUKIN Posts: 102
    Thanks for starting this topic. Dang right Mike Mccredy should be on this list and for a lot of reasons. Music in general has changed drastically the past few decades, i'm not sure if its for the better. in some ways, the availability and sound has improved somewhat, but in the past bands like the who,stones, zeppelin, etc got a chance to evolve and create some great music, now most talent gets one hit recognition if they are lucky. pearl jam pretty much represents Rock music today and without the band and mccredys craft the canvas would be dull! Unfortunately, and this is what i meant to say is that their is a club that exist that picks who gets in the hall of fame or who gets picked for this list or that and its a shame. if your not in the "community" you get passed over sometime. it is, what is is, and sometimes thats a shame. look at the rnr hall of fame, a lot of mind blowing trailblazers are not even mentioned! personally i think Mike has been possessed by hendrix and srv and i hope its a long time before he gets them exorcised! Thanks for reading and have a great Thanksgiving everyone.
    jukin
  • Options
    i agree . mike has so much feel and it just sounds like it comes straight from his soul. sorry i am bias but um well he is a bad ass
  • Options
    BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 992
    Why didnt David Fricke make up for his "fuck up" last time by making sure Mike & Stone were on the list mext time. Not looking forward to the bass,drummer & singer when they have one. Mike is the accomplished player out of the band by far. Just listen to Black on LO2L
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
  • Options
    WhyNotSwedenWhyNotSweden Sweden Posts: 4,251
    Where is Yngwe Malmsteen?

Legendary Swedish axeman Yngwie Malmsteen recently spoke to Classic Rock Revisited about Rolling Stone magazine's much-criticized list of the 100 greatest guitarists of all time.

Asked for his reaction to the list, and more precisely his not being on it, Yngwie said, "I get that question every day. When somebody votes for me then that is beautiful and if they don't then that is okay too. I don't understand how that was compiled. I don't need to pat myself on the back. You should see my living room. It looks like I am a fucking golf player. I have all the awards that you could shake a stick at. I have been voted the #1 guitar player in Japan more than any other living guitar player. It does not matter to me. If I wake up and I don't play good that day, then that is what matters. What I have done before is not the point. The point is that I have to know that I have done my best. I need to know that I played a good solo, or wrote a good song or played a good show ? that is how I look at it. I have been nominated for Grammys and it is all great but that does not matter so much to me. I am not at all upset at Rolling Stone. At the same time, if I win something then it is very nice but if I don't then tomorrow is another day. This is not a sport."
    -95, Stockholm (MirrorBall Tour)
    -00, Stockholm
    -07, Copenhagen
    -09, Berlin
    -10, Berlin
    -11, East Troy 1+2
    -12, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, EV London 2
    -13, London, Chicago
    -14, Amsterdam 1+2, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo
    -16, TOTD San Francisco 1+2
    -17, EV Amsterdam 2+3
    -18, Amsterdam 1+2, London 1+(2), Barcelona, London 2
    -19, EV Brussels

• Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    BALLBOY wrote:
    Why didnt David Fricke make up for his "fuck up" last time by making sure Mike & Stone were on the list mext time. Not looking forward to the bass,drummer & singer when they have one. Mike is the accomplished player out of the band by far. Just listen to Black on LO2L
    How do you know he didn't? Did you see his picks?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,313
    BALLBOY wrote:

I believe Eddie was left off the 100 greatest singers as well.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 992
    Newch91 wrote:
    BALLBOY wrote:
    How do you know he didn't? Did you see his picks?
    No i didn't see his picks but being a senior editor of RS he had the chance to make up for his "FUCK UP" the last time & make sure at least Mike was in there, i am sure he has some power in decision making. I dont buy RS & haven't for years.
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,107
    While Mike McCready is an extraordinary guitar player, he isn't one of the greatest. He is an algorythmn of many great guitarists before him, many of whom are on this list. He's far from groundbreaking and hardly influential.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR