Replacement split-coil humbuckers for Schecter Telecaster

dogfootbluesdogfootblues Posts: 116
edited December 2011 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey guys, I have a gold top Schecter Telecaster that has two stock Duncan Designed humbuckers that turn into a single pickup when i pull up on the tone knob. The pickups need to go. The highs are shining through and its overall really muddy and lifeless. I play alot of The Who and Neil Young type things with a little Social Distortin mixed with Hank Williams and Howlin Wolf. Rock, some punk. Can anyone recommend some humbucker replacement pickups? Also, Can i install any old humbucker in the Schecter Telecaster and have it a split-coil? Im new to the split-coil stuff. But whatever i put in has to have the split-coil funtion  
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• WIthout a second's hesitation, I would enthusiastically recommend the Seymour Duncan P-Rails.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/e ... ils_shpr1/
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor ... pickup-set

You've got a P-90, a Cool Rail, and combined they make a humbucker. That gives you three main flavors, each with distinct tone. And based on the stuff you referenced as tone benchmarks, I think you could easily cover those bases. You would need to re-wire some stuff to be able to use all the options (your split-coil circuit will only activate one coil in each pickup, but you need the ability to select between each coil when you split) but it shouldn't be too expensive, as you'll only need one more push-pull pot and a little more soldering.

There are pickups that are designed for split-coil use that are different than non-split humbuckers. They are usually identified as split-coil humbuckers, but may also be referred to as 4-lead or 4-conductor pickups (regular pickups have only 2 leads). So, any humbucker with 4 wires can be split.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • WIthout a second's hesitation, I would enthusiastically recommend the Seymour Duncan P-Rails.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/e ... ils_shpr1/
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor ... pickup-set

You've got a P-90, a Cool Rail, and combined they make a humbucker. That gives you three main flavors, each with distinct tone. And based on the stuff you referenced as tone benchmarks, I think you could easily cover those bases. You would need to re-wire some stuff to be able to use all the options (your split-coil circuit will only activate one coil in each pickup, but you need the ability to select between each coil when you split) but it shouldn't be too expensive, as you'll only need one more push-pull pot and a little more soldering.

There are pickups that are designed for split-coil use that are different than non-split humbuckers. They are usually identified as split-coil humbuckers, but may also be referred to as 4-lead or 4-conductor pickups (regular pickups have only 2 leads). So, any humbucker with 4 wires can be split.

The ONLY thing is is I found these to be super hot. Great pickups, but super hot.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • They look like sweet pickups but i really want a humbucker in the for looks as well. Someone on the Seymour Duncan forum suggested Stag Mags. Whice seem really cool. Iwas also looking at the Seymour Duncan sh-4, tb-4 combo. Any suggestions on those?
  • Theres always the Jimmy Page ones if thats what you're looking for (never played with them though, so I'm not sure how thy sound)
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....