I hate McDonald's, but good on them here:

MSnider44MSnider44 Posts: 746
edited November 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Fuck Sparboe Egg Farms. Fuck 'em. I wish I could have a face to face meeting with the dudes who burnt the beaks of baby chickens... This shit fucking pisses me off. How about I burn your fucking nose off?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45358654/ns/business-retail/#.TscvMGP7QZ8
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• joely_91joely_91 Posts: 795
    that video is quite brutal to watch... i know that these chickens are farmed but the way they are treated is very poor. :evil:
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I eat meat and eggs...but this is fucking cruel...brought tears to my eyes. :(
  • I love meat and I love eggs. But... That's not how you do it. Not at all. NEVER. That place needs to be shut down. Good call McDonald's!
  • Not watching that video.

Last time I watched an animal cruelty video I threw up (live sickley cow at a meat farm being pushed around by a forklift and screaming in agony).
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    That's fucked up! What also pisses me off is that they made McDonalds seem like the seem like the bad guy in the video. I'm 19 and have worked at pepsi and Mcdonalds, and I have several friends who work in fast food places or other minimum wage jobs for corporations and out of them all McDonalds is BY FAR the best as far as how they treat their employees, their customer service, and their charity. I'm not saying they are great by any means but they are a lot better than some other places that don't get nearly as much shit talked on them as they do.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    It's not like McDonald's had any choice once the footage got out.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    that is horrifying.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • shit like this really makes me never want to eat mass produced animal products ever again. Disgusting
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Let's be real here ...

1) I'm sure McDonald's went down the street to use the next farm which probably operates similarly.
    2) I'll bet Burger King was on the phone with this farm the next day to get a discounted rate.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    This kind of thing IS one of the main reasons I became vegan. I have no interest in contributing in any way to this, by the consumption of the product (eggs). Unless you grow your own chickens, or really know the farm where you get your eggs/chickens from, who knows what goes on when there's no one to see.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    If you eat meat, this mistreatment is on you. Sorry to be blunt... but it's true.

McD's doesn't care about the treatment of animals. Neither do the factories which supply them. And this is the case with the majority of businesses who get their meat from these "farms". Most mistreatment will never see the light of youtube, and the animals suffer with extreme cruelty on the way to your sandwich.

I suggest if this is something that is unacceptable to you that you consider going vegetarian. The fake meats out there, like veggie-chik'n are really so comparable to the real thing that there is absolutely no reason to support the torture/slaughter of innocent animals.

I hope this moment raises awareness for those reading this and is the tipping point for some of you to just try going vegetarian for a week or so. Every couple of meals without meat is another animal that isn't killed in your name.

I'll be glad to list comparable replacements of meat for those who would consider trying vegetarianism for a week. There's a handful of things that there is no replacement for, but a ton of options for things like chicken.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    CJMST3K wrote:
    If you eat meat, this mistreatment is on you. Sorry to be blunt... but it's true.

McD's doesn't care about the treatment of animals. Neither do the factories which supply them. And this is the case with the majority of businesses who get their meat from these "farms". Most mistreatment will never see the light of youtube, and the animals suffer with extreme cruelty on the way to your sandwich.

I suggest if this is something that is unacceptable to you that you consider going vegetarian. The fake meats out there, like veggie-chik'n are really so comparable to the real thing that there is absolutely no reason to support the torture/slaughter of innocent animals.

I hope this moment raises awareness for those reading this and is the tipping point for some of you to just try going vegetarian for a week or so. Every couple of meals without meat is another animal that isn't killed in your name.

I'll be glad to list comparable replacements of meat for those who would consider trying vegetarianism for a week. There's a handful of things that there is no replacement for, but a ton of options for things like chicken.

Actually there are some farms that 'do' care about the treatment of animals. A professor by the name of Temple Grandin proved that cattle that were frightened/tortured before slaughter produced a poorer quality meat, so she developed a 'more humane' slaughterhouse system. McD's was one of the first companies to use her system. I can't give links as I'm on my phone, but feel free to Google her name.or pm me, ill give you some books to read.
    I don't want to start a fight, but unless you go vegan (the use of NO animal or animal byproducts) aren't you still contributing to the chicken cruelty problem? Unless you are able to get organic eggs or from a known cruelty free source.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Not watching that video.

Last time I watched an animal cruelty video I threw up (live sickley cow at a meat farm being pushed around by a forklift and screaming in agony).

This video your referencing is why I stopped eating red meat. And I grew up in Iowa. Steak was almost a daily staple in my diet. I still eat chicken, but I make sure it's organic, free range, although the video in my original post might stop me from eating even that.
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    I cannot even deal with watching this video, I won't even attempt it. I don't get why chickens would have to be tortured or abused to get eggs. I have a friend who has chickens and they are 'pets' basically, and run around in their coop happy as clams and he eats their eggs. Just imagining this terrible thing in this thread makes me nauseous.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    I think 'Fast Food Nation' should be required reading in all schools. If you haven't read it, please check it out. It goes through all the abuses in food production- from chicken like these to workers who are just as abused.

Having said that I still eat meat and will always eat meat. I'm not a huge carnivour but I do like meat once and a while. I never buy meat from supermarkets- they are one of the main reasons behind animal abuses such as these. I do but meat from a local butcher who sources all his beef and pork from nearby farms. I also buy meat at a local market where I live. The owner sells his own beef and pork and the chickens are from his neighbor.

If you into cooking and have Thomas Koeller's 'The French Laundry', he has chapters devoted to the places he sources his meat from. They are nothing like the ones with these poor chickens.
  • RiotZact wrote:
    That's fucked up! What also pisses me off is that they made McDonalds seem like the seem like the bad guy in the video. I'm 19 and have worked at pepsi and Mcdonalds, and I have several friends who work in fast food places or other minimum wage jobs for corporations and out of them all McDonalds is BY FAR the best as far as how they treat their employees, their customer service, and their charity. I'm not saying they are great by any means but they are a lot better than some other places that don't get nearly as much shit talked on them as they do.

Totally dude. I have a buddy that works at Wendy's and they treat him like shit. I was lucky to get a job with the Kwik Trip Convenience Store chain. Started me at 9.50 an hour (Now 9.80... soon to be 10.10), gave me affordable health care options ( I don't use them thanks to my dad's Tricare otherwise I would jump on it), and profit sharing as a part-time worker. If anyone in Minnesota, Wisconsin, or Iowa is looking for a job I highly recommend them.
  • eddiec wrote:
    I think 'Fast Food Nation' should be required reading in all schools.

It's a great read and I also highly recommend reading it.