Weddings on a budget

pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
edited November 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
A friend of mine has told me the following

He was invited to a wedding via facebook invitation.... attend a church service

the following day, the reception is a picnic with BYO EVERYTHING....

IF that's what you are into, and that's what you can afford that is cool... not my cup of tea...

All the best to the happy couple
Sydney 11/02/2003
Sydney 14/02/2003
Sydney 07/11/2006
Sydney 18/11/2006
Sydney 22/11/2009
EV Sydney 18/03/2011
EV Sydney 19/03/2011
EV Sydney 20/03/2011
Melbourne 24/01/2014
Sydney 26/01/2014
EV Sydney 13/02/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pinkbutterflypinkbutterfly Posts: 1,391
    edited November 2011
    Post edited by pinkbutterfly on
    My last message to you ~

You're right. You are a monster! You are sick! Get help!

At least, I am not a fuck-up! A lying fuck-up!
  • Dropped $30,000 on a wedding and got some of it back from gifts. After paying some bills we started our new life with $3,000. These people are smart...
  • pjfan31 wrote:

IF that's what you are into, and that's what you can afford that is cool... not my cup of tea...

Disgraceful.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i hope the happy couple at least supplied a cake... and not just their wonderful selves.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    wow
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Dropped $30,000 on a wedding and got some of it back from gifts. After paying some bills we started our new life with $3,000. These people are smart...
    Wow..

Weddings are nothing but a sham
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    I was working at a Best Western in Frisco, CO many moons ago. There was a wedding one day. Couple must have spent a bunch of money on this horse drawn decorated carriage. They pulled up like the King and Queen of Uranus. Get this: no open bar, NO FOOD, all they did was serve up a wedding cake after a an hour or 2 of people standing around looking really hungry. That was bad form.
  • We had 6 people at our wedding. We're just very selective :shifty: :lol: As long as I got to wear a dress and eat cake I really didn't care about anything else. Probably helps that I have a tiny family and my in-laws are on the other side of the world, but I really can't see spending a ton of money on a party...especially when there are so many shoes in the world just waiting to be bought so they can have a good home :lol: Gotta keep the priorities straight :thumbup: I do think if you're going to have guests you pay for those guests and make sure they have a good fucking time.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,150
    pjfan31 wrote:

Disgraceful.

Yea being low on cash is disgraceful :roll:.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    we got married in a small hole in the wall chapel
    i wrote our vows
    the ceremony lasted three minutes
    the reception - two days
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    pjfan31 wrote:

Disgraceful.

But thing is, where I am from, and where they are having the wedding isn't exactly in a low-socio economic area... Doesn't mean they're not low on cash.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I hate weddings.

If my future wife wants one, fine, but I ain't spending more than a few grand on it out of my pocket.

What a waste for one night.. and they are so cliche. I like the White Castle idea though!
  • SVRDhand13 wrote:
    pjfan31 wrote:

Disgraceful.

Disgraceful.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Why have a wedding if you cannot afford it.
    Wait and save your money for one.
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell Posts: 2,161
    I don't understand the whole concept of spending thousands on a cookie cutter day, when most of the people invited have never even been to your house.

We got married in a registery office with 5 guests then went out for lunch. Society has such a skewed view that a huge wedding is a great way to show everyone how much you love your partner. For us we got married to show each other how much we love one another not the rest of the world.

Good on the OP's friends! Why should they do what everyone else does?
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    Weddings generally cost money because of the amount of guests involved. Many people don't want to 'offend' and invite everyone under the sun. Personally, i've always felt the smaller the wedding the better. I got married in Rome. My wife is Irish. We had 14 American and 12 Irish guests. Didn't cost a bomb and I have cool wedding pics in front of the Coliseum. :lol:
  • I find it so pathetic how you get invited because the bride/grooms parents are friends with your parents and you don't even know their son/daughter.
    I turned down an invite like this not long ago.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,842
    I had to pay for my own wedding.
    Late luncheon at a five star place. Champagne toast, only beer and wine open bar.
    Beautiful cake, good band. About 80 people. Total cost $11K.

The only thing I regret is no spending more on a photographer-went cheap on that and it was a mistake.

But seriously, I don't have a problem with people that have simple weddings. Its financially responsible.
  • eddiec wrote:
    I was working at a Best Western in Frisco, CO many moons ago. There was a wedding one day. Couple must have spent a bunch of money on this horse drawn decorated carriage. They pulled up like the King and Queen of Uranus. Get this: no open bar, NO FOOD, all they did was serve up a wedding cake after a an hour or 2 of people standing around looking really hungry. That was bad form.

I met my wife in the " Moose Jaw" in Frisco, CO :o .
    Proposed at the Continental Divide Summit at LOVELAND 8-) .
    And eloped on the beach in Key West :mrgreen: ( saving thousands :ugeek: ).

I've been to too many "extarvagant" weddings in NY, including my 1st :evil: .
    Way overpriced & way over-rated :roll: .
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • Why have a wedding if you cannot afford it.
    Wait and save your money for one.
    Why have a big extravagant wedding if you can't afford it or you don't want one? I always wanted to get married on the beach at sunset but couldn't afford it my grandma told me one day that if I kept waiting till I could afford it that it wouldnt happen. Just be happy with what you got and what you can afford. Three months later we got married in the same 160 yr old school/church that my wife's great great grandparents got married in 155 yrs. to the date. I payed for it all by recycling aluminum cans and siding that I had been saving. Dress, rings,service,and reception was around $5000. And everyone said it was one of the most beautiful ceremonies they went to. A wedding doesn't have to be big and fancy or expensive to be special. I don't understand why people would want to try and start a life together with a $30000 wedding that they will be paying for a long time. But then again I'm a tight ass. I save my money for PJ lol.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    I find it so pathetic how you get invited because the bride/grooms parents are friends with your parents and you don't even know their son/daughter.

in polite society this would be called manners or decorum or etiquette or something... i dont actually live in polite society.

its no biggie.. just say no... like you did. its bad enough rocking up to extended family weddings.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    i couldn't take it any fucking longer. so i simply brought up youtube and well, here it is

http://youtu.be/cM8U6Txc6nc
    the dumbest shits in the world...
    edit- all of them.
    edit II - so basically if you appear in this video you suck and are one of the dumbest shits in the world
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • I find it so pathetic how you get invited because the bride/grooms parents are friends with your parents and you don't even know their son/daughter.

in polite society this would be called manners or decorum or etiquette or something... i dont actually live in polite society.

its no biggie.. just say no... like you did. its bad enough rocking up to extended family weddings.

That's all it is, etiquette, a rule with the European families, looking back at my sisters wedding her and her husband only see like 5% of the guests that came. It's all bullshit, it's like Facebook, the more you have the better your ego. My parents were so pissed off at me not going to this one not long ago.
    Why would I, the bride never talks to me, if I see her at place out she doesn't make an effort.
    To hell with that.