Eddies Microphones

acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
edited November 2011 in Musicians and Gearheads
Do any of you know what he uses?
Anyone here play live and have a good one that is not to expensive that you recommend?
Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
Sweep the Leg Johnny.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    He uses Audix OM7

http://www.audixusa.com/docs/latest_new ... ImmB.shtml

I've got one in my small home studio. I bought it after I did some research and watched a video from Dave Rat (Rat Sound = PJ) about the sound-rejection properties of the Audix OM7 versus a standard Shure. It's got a REALLY full sound - no wonder Ed sounds amazing. Amazing voice + Amazing mic.

Here's the sound rejection video from Dave Rat.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvUfXxalD7Q

The Shure was picking up noise in most directions. The Audix was very tight in where it accepted noise from. So, if you like to sing away from the mic, then Shure is pretty good. If you like it up close, and if you have a loud band you're playing with, the Audix OM7 may be best.

...though one of the other board members on here (i forget his board name) is extremely helpful with studio questions, but hopefully this will help in the meantime.

....and for buying used....
    www.allofcraigs.com
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • maj4emaj4e Posts: 605
    You can get a decent Shure for not too much and it's a good basic microphone.
  • Eddie does currently use Audix OM7 mics, and has for as many years as I can remember. If you play in a loud band, or need lots of monitor with no feedback, it can't be beat. It's a transformer-less mic, so it requires a lot of gain compared to most other mics. But it has a great sound, especially for powerful vocals, and it's great at eliminating feedback.

If you're looking for cheaper alternatives, you can look at the Shure SM58, the most common vocal mic out there. It's got a very warm and natural sound. For better feedback control and increased intelligibility, Shure's Beta 58 is another good alternative, and not much more money than the regular 58. I don't think I'd ever use a mic cheaper than an SM58, so I can't recommend anything lower than that.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Eddie does currently use Audix OM7 mics, and has for as many years as I can remember. If you play in a loud band, or need lots of monitor with no feedback, it can't be beat. It's a transformer-less mic, so it requires a lot of gain compared to most other mics. But it has a great sound, especially for powerful vocals, and it's great at eliminating feedback.

If you're looking for cheaper alternatives, you can look at the Shure SM58, the most common vocal mic out there. It's got a very warm and natural sound. For better feedback control and increased intelligibility, Shure's Beta 58 is another good alternative, and not much more money than the regular 58. I don't think I'd ever use a mic cheaper than an SM58, so I can't recommend anything lower than that.

MIG here is a cheaper mic by Peavey that's pretty cost effective, has a great warm presence about it. Plus used you can find these even cheaper. http://www.peavey.com/products/proaudio ... 5iRXLR.cfm

We recently got one PVM 45IR and a PVM 45I. The 45ri has just a slightly better voicing and vibe from it.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • mcthudmcthud Posts: 366
    I can give the OM-7 a personal seal of approval.
    Since the mic new is $229, and since I'm more of a hobbiest, I bought mine used from someone on craigslist for about $90, plus shipping since I was searching the allofcraigs website for all posts nationally. It's only about $20 for a new metal-mesh cover, and a few bucks more for the internal windscreen. Mine was significantly worn, but I just replaced the internal foam windscreen, and cleaned the metal mesh cover in a glass of rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush, and it was darned clean after that, and works great - despite its visible wear.

Here's a couple being sold on various c-lists:

http://binghamton.craigslist.org/msg/2649710018.html

http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/msg/2657040255.html

If you're buying a Shure, there's a lot of fakes out there apparently since its the most popular microphone. Research on youtube "shure" "fake" "microphones" to see how to tell them apart.
  • CJMST3K wrote:
    He uses Audix OM7

http://www.audixusa.com/docs/latest_new ... ImmB.shtml

I've got one in my small home studio. I bought it after I did some research and watched a video from Dave Rat (Rat Sound = PJ) about the sound-rejection properties of the Audix OM7 versus a standard Shure. It's got a REALLY full sound - no wonder Ed sounds amazing. Amazing voice + Amazing mic.

Here's the sound rejection video from Dave Rat.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvUfXxalD7Q

The Shure was picking up noise in most directions. The Audix was very tight in where it accepted noise from. So, if you like to sing away from the mic, then Shure is pretty good. If you like it up close, and if you have a loud band you're playing with, the Audix OM7 may be best.

...though one of the other board members on here (i forget his board name) is extremely helpful with studio questions, but hopefully this will help in the meantime.

....and for buying used....
    http://www.allofcraigs.com
    Do you guys recommend the audix if its just two guys with two guitars? No other loudness around really...
    Doe Ed use that one for solo tours also?
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • And.....
    What about plugging mic into same amp as guitar? Mine has this feature. Good and bad points?

What I am getting at is I have been playing guitar and singing alone for a few years now. I love it and feel I am pretty good considering the others I hear in bars locally. And I get many compliments. So I wanna take it out and try it to see how i do. My buddy is a great guitarist and we jam often talking about doing it together.
    But I dont know anything about proper equipment for this honestly. I would really appreciate any help given
    Thanks guys.
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
    mccreadyisgod would have a much more qualified answer than I can give.

My understanding is that this microphone is great at reducing the potential for feedback, and if you're plugging in there may be more potential for feed back in the corner of a bar than on a bigger platform, but that also has to do with volume level and placement of your speaker(s). But I also recall a friend I play with who used to use a Shure and now uses my Audix at him at first not realizing you have to be pretty close to the mic. So, you'll probably have to be close to an Audix mic than a Shure mic (like you can rest your nose on the Audix grill and it sounds clear, but 8" away and it might not pick up as well). So now when he sings he's right on top of the mic, and I think he likes that he can just be right on the mic. ...this is just from my recollection, but I haven't used the mic much since Spring.

...and I think EV uses it for the acousitic shows too, but has added a windscreen from what I recall. But I'm sure there's a good photo out there of him solo.
  • mcthudmcthud Posts: 366
    From my experience with the OM-7, it can just about do it all. I also believe that Ed uses his same setup for acoustic shows. It's probably just the setup he's used to and if it works in both formats, why not?

As far as inputting the mic into an acoustic amp, I couldn't speak from experience, but Audix puts out good gear. I don't see you having any issues.

And.....
    What about plugging mic into same amp as guitar? Mine has this feature. Good and bad points?

What I am getting at is I have been playing guitar and singing alone for a few years now. I love it and feel I am pretty good considering the others I hear in bars locally. And I get many compliments. So I wanna take it out and try it to see how i do. My buddy is a great guitarist and we jam often talking about doing it together.
    But I dont know anything about proper equipment for this honestly. I would really appreciate any help given
    Thanks guys.
  • I've used my Audix in solo acoustic situations, and it works pretty well there. If you have the right voice (deep and powerful, i.e. Eddie) it's a great mic for any application. It doesn't have the ability to grab nuance as well as, say, a Neumann KMS105... but it will work just fine. If all you do is play acoustic stuff, I would say it's not worth the extra expense versus a Shure SM58.

As for plugging into the mic input of an acoustic amplifier (like Fender Acoustasonic, Genz Benz Shenandoah, etc have), I have one concern: like I mentioned before, the OM-7 is transformerless, so it needs a considerable amount of gain, so you need really good preamps with lots of gain. I'm not sure if those acoustic amps have the gain for the OM-7. Those are usually optimized for something like the SM58 or Sennheiser 835, just a regular dynamic cardioid mic. For what it's worth, other Audix mics have regular transformer designs, so the OM-5 and OM-6 will not have the same issue as the OM-7.

As for a proper setup for two guys, a small PA is probably best. I'd look at a small powered PA head (I love the Soundcraft Gigrac, but Yamaha and Mackie are almost as good) with a couple speakers and a monitor. I'd get 12" mains (speakers with 12" woofer) and probably a 12" monitor. Are both of you planning to sing (harmonies, or trading lead), or just you?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I've used my Audix in solo acoustic situations, and it works pretty well there. If you have the right voice (deep and powerful, i.e. Eddie) it's a great mic for any application. It doesn't have the ability to grab nuance as well as, say, a Neumann KMS105... but it will work just fine. If all you do is play acoustic stuff, I would say it's not worth the extra expense versus a Shure SM58.

As for plugging into the mic input of an acoustic amplifier (like Fender Acoustasonic, Genz Benz Shenandoah, etc have), I have one concern: like I mentioned before, the OM-7 is transformerless, so it needs a considerable amount of gain, so you need really good preamps with lots of gain. I'm not sure if those acoustic amps have the gain for the OM-7. Those are usually optimized for something like the SM58 or Sennheiser 835, just a regular dynamic cardioid mic. For what it's worth, other Audix mics have regular transformer designs, so the OM-5 and OM-6 will not have the same issue as the OM-7.

As for a proper setup for two guys, a small PA is probably best. I'd look at a small powered PA head (I love the Soundcraft Gigrac, but Yamaha and Mackie are almost as good) with a couple speakers and a monitor. I'd get 12" mains (speakers with 12" woofer) and probably a 12" monitor. Are both of you planning to sing (harmonies, or trading lead), or just you?
    . Thank-you so much. Very helpful
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • If you're planning to buy one, you should have a look at the Z-stock OM7s over at the Rat Sound page. I have one, used it for tons of gigs and I'm very satisfied. They are great people with great customer service.