Options

PJ20 Deluxe Blu-Ray Video Quality

SD87711SD87711 Posts: 13
edited December 2013 in The Porch
Hey All,

Has anyone else noticed that the film quality of the live performances (across all three discs) look interlaced and pixelated compared to some of the other video footage and especially the interview footage? I'm just wondering if this is supposed to be normal. I know the film is 1080i, but it's just weird that the footage used to make the film doesn't look even throughout. And I would totally understand if the SD footage from the early 90's was like that but we are talking about the live stuff [mostly] from the Immagine in Cornice DVD.

Other than that, great film. Great deluxe set. Great performances.

Sean
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    They didn't have 1080i in 1990. Can't change original format.
  • Options
    Understood. But they did in 2006. And that is the footage in question.
  • Options
    Mcam55Mcam55 Posts: 1,407
    06 footage looks horrible for me.
  • Options
    The only footage that I noticed, that looks "blocky" and "pixelated" (it looks like it maybe was taken from a ripped DVD as opposed to the native source material) is the live performance material from the past 5-6 years. The early stuff looks beautiful.

The way I noticed it was by looking at the colors, either blue or red. Then you can see it clear as day.
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    The Thumbing my way footage also looks kindve poor...look at the edges on Ed's shoulders. Black from Disk 3 had lines going through it..stone's face is blurry and it looks like it was taken from web cam footage. Some of the footage throughout the disks has lines through it and doesn't appear crisp. I'm talking about post 2000 footage. It's like it was just a poor transfer, rather than any problems with the source.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    Yeah, it seems like it may just be the '06 footage. That sucks. I wish someone would have caught this before they replicated all these sets. It's a minor problem that could have been fixed.
  • Options
    SD87711 wrote:
    Yeah, it seems like it may just be the '06 footage. That sucks. I wish someone would have caught this before they replicated all these sets. It's a minor problem that could have been fixed.

Did you notice the problems I mentioned in TMW (02 footage) and black (05 footage). I'm not sure if the disks are different, but I actually thought the 06 footage looked very, very good. I think there may have been one or 2 instances where I noticed lines in 06 footage..but can't remember where and it was very brief.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    I have to check it when I get home. It may just be an issue with the footage that they used from the Immagine in Cornice DVD. Especially if they just used the footage from the DVD and not the native source used to make the DVD.
  • Options
    SD87711 wrote:
    I have to check it when I get home. It may just be an issue with the footage that they used from the Immagine in Cornice DVD. Especially if they just used the footage from the DVD and not the native source used to make the DVD.

I would think they'd go to the native source since the 06 footage in pj20 wasn't in Immagine.
  • Options
    I'll try and get timecodes from the BD for when I spot the issues and then post them on here.
  • Options
    I'm having the same problem with my deluxe DVD ... Thumbing my way is almost unwatchable :|
  • Options
    SD87711 wrote:
    I'll try and get timecodes from the BD for when I spot the issues and then post them on here.

I'd be interested to take a look. Stuff like interlacing artifacts will largely depend on your player's or TV's deinteralcing capabilities, but pixelization would be a problem with the encoding and unlikely fixable.
  • Options
    I'm having the same problem with my deluxe DVD ... Thumbing my way is almost unwatchable :|

Yeah, when I first saw it I couldn't stop focussing on Eddie's blurry shoulders and arms..then as it zoomed out everyone else got blurry...as it zoomed back in Eddie's shoulders and Stone's arm's were blurry...matt also seemed kind've pixelated... :|
  • Options
    shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,178
    It is a tad blotchy but still love it.,
  • Options
    shadowcast wrote:
    It is a tad blotchy but still love it.,

As do I! :D
  • Options
    edoconedocon Posts: 308
    I observe the same video quality issues others mentioned (Thumbing My Way, Black, etc.).
    The one that's tough to get over is the Even Flow on the Fans Are Alright...isn't this from
    the same crop of footage as Immagine? Why such a downgrade in quality for film supposedly shot in HD?
  • Options
    A $60/70 set and it has sub-par picture quality? Poor show, 10c.
  • Options
    It was like that at the cinema showing.
  • Options
    A $60/70 set and it has sub-par picture quality? Poor show, 10c.

and "CD size" box/disk holders rather than standard dvd/blu ray sized ones...I was surprised by that... :?
  • Options
    jgardzjgardz Posts: 277
    Um, even flow was from 95...immagine is from 2006!
  • Options
    jgardz wrote:

Correct...the 95 footage actually looked pretty cool to me. Look, there are a few problems with the quality here and there..lines...pixelations..blurry footage (all this on recent footage) don't know if it's a source or encoding issue. Bottom line is that it doesn't really detract from my overall enjoyment of the features. I really enjoy Kids are 20 and the fans are alright performances and will watch them many times.
  • Options
    have not seen the BD but - there is NO reason for HD-CAM footage (as immagine was shot on) to look blurry or pixalated? What the hel is this all about?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    have not seen the BD but - there is NO reason for HD-CAM footage (as immagine was shot on) to look blurry or pixalated? What the hel is this all about?
    It wasn't all shot in HD though. The footage they used could've been the Super 8.
  • Options
    Yeah, my main problem, and the reason for starting this thread, is because of a handful of shots that I will get TC for hopefully by this weekend. It really stood out because clients of mine will give me "HD" footage to edit with but when I look at it they are compressed "HiRes" H.264 QTs and the quality is almost identical to certain shots on PJ20. I know that Cameron used what he had and what he could get his hands on to make this so that may just be the footage he received. In that case, it is what it is.
  • Options

when the camera pans out?

i feel like im watching a youtube video on my tv.

As crisp as the upclose shot is, they could have done better.
  • Options

Exactly. As it begins to pan out everything gets pixelated and the faces go blurry ... Even when it pans back in the quality never really looks good. I've noticed a few other flaws in video quality but don't remember the scenes off hand. Overall I could care less cause the box set kicks ass but I do find this to be pretty odd... :shock:
  • Options

I agree with you on when the camera pans out..but the upclose footage has flaws as well. This is footage from 02 and some of this was released on the live at chop suey dvd, so one wouldn't think that it would be low quality. The TMW video is also here on the PJ VEVO site and has the same flaws as the blu ray release. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDSStJ9I754&ob=av2e
  • Options
    edoconedocon Posts: 308
    Better Dan wrote:
    jgardz wrote:

Correct...the 95 footage actually looked pretty cool to me. Look, there are a few problems with the quality here and there..lines...pixelations..blurry footage (all this on recent footage) don't know if it's a source or encoding issue. Bottom line is that it doesn't really detract from my overall enjoyment of the features. I really enjoy Kids are 20 and the fans are alright performances and will watch them many times.

I was referring to the Even Flow on Fans are Alright disk...I think it's during the statistical analysis when discussing Matt as a drummer. It has the drum solo and is from Italy. I agree that the '95 footage looked pretty good especially considering it's more than a decade older than the '06 stuff.
  • Options
    I spent the better part of 30 minutes messing with the settings on my bluray player trying to fix the picture. Glad to see these posts, I thought it was just mine!
  • Options
    I just watched the blu-ray for the first time over the weekend and was sort of disappointed but I feel bad saying it for some reason. I fully understand that lots of the footage was not shot in HD so it is what it is. Here's a little of what I can remember. My tv is 1080p too, using HDMI cable, etc, etc...

I found a few scenes of interviews with Mike that were definitely HD and midway through the scene it would cut to a lesser video quality, then cut back. The bonus scenes of Eddie's house tour were blurry. I noticed this in particular when Ed slides down the pole; in the movie it's in HD and the same footage in the bonus scene is terrible. Some of the 2006 live footage was pixilated especially in the bonus footage. Also, the deep bluish purple lighting in the background of Release from Italy and also in other live footage...it's just like a blue color blob with no definition to the picture. The winding road through Seattle when they were introducing Mother Love Bone was not as clear as I remember it being at the theater or PBS. Some of the images of Cornell talking were mixed...Some were very clear to the point where you can see the pores on his face, and other scenes were not at all.

It had me wondering if I actually had the blu-ray playing and I didn't accidently get slipped a DVD. Honestly, I thought the actual movie theater and the PBS airing had the best picture quality. I'm not bitching, and don't want to come across as a bitch, I just wanted to point this stuff out since someone started a thread about it and I agree.
    "No time to be void and save up on life, you gotta spend it all"