The Graphic Novel and Comic Book thread

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited October 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
What are your favorites of all time? of the last year? of the last decade?

my two favorite are watchmen and blankets. i worship frank miller and alan moore.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    WE3 by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely is a Jim Dandy....especially the absolute edition that DC recently released. The Authority by either Warren Ellis or Mark Millar was superb. Sandman by Neil Gaiman and Fables by Bill Willingham are both favorites around our house. I remember buying Frank Miller's original run on Daredevil off of the news-stand way back when....was a later comer to Alan Moore's Swamp Thing...caught on about ten issues into the run.....purchased Watchmen when it came out as a monthly maxi-series...think I still have some promo posters from that era....total comic book geek :ugeek: :ugeek:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    The only comic books I ever read were when I was growing up, those old Marvel Star Wars comics from the 70's and 80's. I still have them in a box, every issue.

Edit: Oh and I also have the comic book adaptation issues of "For Your Eyes Only", the James Bond movie.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Walt Simonson's run with Thor
    ...to live in the present tense...
  • for must read classics The Killing Joke is a must.

so for current stuff i am reading.

Amazing Spider-man. the whole spider island story arc is pretty good but sorta turns into a superhero team up at the end, never really liked those.

All 4 of the Batman relaunch titles. though the art in batman is pretty lame. but detective comics batman is awesome so far. the 2 issues have got to be the best ending of an issue i have seen in awhile. both issues are like "no way!! that is insane!" awesome cliffhangers for next month both times.

IDW gi joe stuff is pretty cool. the fact that they killed cobra commander within their first year showed they werent gonna retell the same story thats been told from marvel and ddp. and the new quest for a new cobra commander stuff is turning out well. though i dont think they need to run 3 different titles to tell this story. hopefully they join it all together into 1 issue a month after this arc is done.

ive given up on ultimate spiderman. ok, kill peter parker to have another kid get his spiderpowers the same way parker did, except he can turn invisible. lame! parker is spider-man thats that. this isnt the green lantern where anyone can wear a ring. peter's connection to the villians is the whole point. so now miles will be fighting villians that mean nothing to him??? that have no grudge against the boy behind the mask? or will they drop all them and create new villians too? its lame either way. the death of parker is the death of spiderman, its that simple.

caligula has got to be one of the goriest and sickest comic series i have ever read. rape, murder, and bestiality all in there. one boy is trying to kill this monster for killing his family and he see how sick this guy is and even experiences some of it, then finds out he is like immortal. makes it that much harder to try to kill caligula i guess. pretty good read but have to cringe at parts of it. if you have the stomach to handle this well worth checking out.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I have:

Uncanny X-Men 150 - 350
    X-Men 1- 75
    X-Factor 1 - 100
    X-Force 1-50
    Wolverine Mini series & 1- 100
    Spawn 1- 100
    Captian America 300 - 428
    The life of Captian Marvell
    The Death of Captian Marvell
    The Infinity, Gauntlet, Wars and the other one.
    Age of Apocolypse - Entire
    Darkhawk 1- 50
    Secret Wars 1& 2
    Lots more, got about 5,000 total, collected from mid 80's to 1998, Marvel went to shit once Joe Quesada took over.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    tybird wrote:
    Sandman by Neil Gaiman and Fables by Bill Willingham are both favorites around our house.

Second both these titles (and Watchmen). The Absolute Sandman is a gorgeous collection too.

Also add:

Transmetropolitan by Warren Ellis
    DMZ by Brian Wood
    100 Bullets by Brian Azzerello
    Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman
    Dark Knight Returns/DK2 by Frank Miller
    Bone by Jeff Smith
    League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Alan Moore (good lord is his stuff complex!)

and a personal favorite

The Tick by Ben Edlund

I'm sure there's a bunch more to add. Longtime San Diego Comic-con attendee here too. Anyone else attend a con?
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • i sold 50% of my comics to pay for pj20..

selling batman 101 was a killer ...

stilll have a 1000 left ..

dark knight returns
    the killing joke
    plastic folks (if you have never read do so)
    akira
    watchmen
    v for vendetta
    flaming carrot (dont ask..lol)
    merkinball wrote:
    tybird wrote:
    Sandman by Neil Gaiman and Fables by Bill Willingham are both favorites around our house.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Alan Moore (good lord is his stuff complex!)
    Do you know there is a blog that lists all of the cultural references made in the League books?
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    tybird wrote:
    merkinball wrote:
    tybird wrote:

Do you know there is a blog that lists all of the cultural references made in the League books?

Yeah - I read some of it when I was reading 1969. I was actually going through my collection the other day (pulling out 100 Bullets for a re-read) and came across Black Dossier. That one definitely needs some annotation to get through. I think I'll do a re-read on that one next.

Adding Owly by Andy Runton - If you've got kids, get them an Owly book (or two).
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

• uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    I have:

Uncanny X-Men 150 - 350
    X-Men 1- 75
    X-Factor 1 - 100
    X-Force 1-50
    Wolverine Mini series & 1- 100
    Spawn 1- 100
    Captian America 300 - 428
    The life of Captian Marvell
    The Death of Captian Marvell
    The Infinity, Gauntlet, Wars and the other one.
    Age of Apocolypse - Entire
    Darkhawk 1- 50
    Secret Wars 1& 2
    Lots more, got about 5,000 total, collected from mid 80's to 1998, Marvel went to shit once Joe Quesada took over.

That's quite a good list of standouts, andI have a lot of the same ones.

These says I generally just follow writers instead of titles in the marvel universe. Some of my favorites include Bendis, BKV, JMS, Brubaker, Abnett & Lanning, among others.

These says I generally just follow writers instead of titles in the marvel universe. Some of my favorites include Bendis, BKV, JMS, Brubaker, Abnett & Lanning, among others.

O.K., i gotta ask about Brubaker, because i've never read him, but hate him on principal (i know it's not fair of me) But he killed Steve Rogers, F'em!!!! Cap's my favorite character, does he do him justice or does he turn him into Captian Punisher? as it seems from the outside.
    merkinball wrote:

Adding Owly by Andy Runton - If you've got kids, get them an Owly book (or two).
    Owly is a fun little read....similar to Gon....which is simply beautifully drawn
    tybird wrote:
    merkinball wrote:

Owly is a fun little read....similar to Gon....which is simply beautifully drawn

Oh yeah. I think we've had this conversation before. Gon is really well drawn book.

O.K., i gotta ask about Brubaker, because i've never read him, but hate him on principal (i know it's not fair of me) But he killed Steve Rogers, F'em!!!! Cap's my favorite character, does he do him justice or does he turn him into Captian Punisher? as it seems from the outside.
    Oh wow, his run on Captain America is some of the best Cap I've ever read. From the introduction of the Winter Soldier thorough Steve's death is some pretty gripping storytelling. trust me, give it a shot from Captain America volume five, issue one through Civil War. You'll be hooked. It's all one big long story.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    the sandman is to comic books what the wire is to tv shows.

Both are the best there is at what they do :)

Sandman
    Watchmen
    V For Vendetta
    Preacher

I also enjoyed Y the Last man but it is not in the league with the others. I am about to start the Fables novels.

I was a big fan of the xmen growing up so the Dark Phoenix Saga is always a favorite of mine and God Loves Man Kills
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Walt Simonson's run with Thor
    I really enjoyed that run as well. I re read them last year (got them all in TPB) It is what made em a Thor fan. I really liked all the stuff in Asgard mcuh more then Thor on earth
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    intodeep wrote:
    Walt Simonson's run with Thor
    I really enjoyed that run as well. I re read them last year (got them all in TPB) It is what made em a Thor fan. I really liked all the stuff in Asgard mcuh more then Thor on earth
    The Simonson run is now available in a single volume in the omnibus format...it's a big honking book :lol::lol::mrgreen:
  • Batman: The Long Halloween is probably my all time favorite.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
    Cover art for League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - Century 2009.

Only need to wait till June...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/12/22/ ... tury-2009/

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i just read the first 2 parts of tom morello's orchid and superman: red son by mark millar.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

Oh wow, his run on Captain America is some of the best Cap I've ever read. From the introduction of the Winter Soldier thorough Steve's death is some pretty gripping storytelling. trust me, give it a shot from Captain America volume five, issue one through Civil War. You'll be hooked. It's all one big long story.[/quote]

So i finally picked this up and tore right through it, it's not My Cap, but very well done and written, especially the way he takes so many open story arcs and wraps them up very nicely.
    So i finally picked this up and tore right through it, it's not My Cap, but very well done and written, especially the way he takes so many open story arcs and wraps them up very nicely.
    Brubaker is great at managing his arcs; it seems that for everything he starts, he has a natural conclusion.