significant others....

erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
edited November 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
i was wondering if anybody else out there deals with the "you spend too much on pearl jam" issue? i missed the festival, the last couple of tours, vinyl, hats,shirts,box sets, etc. because mine can be a penny pincher sometimes. i am lucky to have a job currently, just picked up extra work (for the inevitable upcoming releases), and am catching hell over a trade i wanted to make with someone overseas...granted, i have never been a completist, (that would make me go broke) but there's certain things that cost a little bit & will only go up in value that i would like to have.
i lost my job for a short period earlier this year & had to sell my 93-95 super deluxe edition, and want to buy another before it goes out of print. i also would like to get the 90-92 super. i found one used once & it was missing a record, so i had to take it back. those & the books & dvds are all i am asking for. it's not like this all the time,though. she let me order the deluxe pj20 ,so i count my blessings. i am just venting frustration ..i hope there's still enough of these things out there so when i have my stash ready to spend i can get them!
"It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    My family is constantly on me about PJ stuff...listen too much, spend too much, obsess too much, go to too many shows, talk to much, post too much, etc. The way I look at it is, this is just about all that I spend money on and if I'm addicted to Pearl Jam it hurts no one, not even my own self (as many obsessions often do) and its much better than being addicted to a lot of other things I could be addicted to. It hurts no one and it brings me great joy and peace.

As far as being broke and jobless, yep, been there recently as well, as many of us have been/are these last few years...but selling my PJ Stuff..no way, no way, no way!

Hope you get back what you've had to get rid of. There are so many good people here, I"m sure you'll find your way back to it eventually.

Make your trades, see your shows, dig your time withe the band and fellow Jammers....after all, we only live once (or at least most of us only remember living once ;) ) so why not enjoy your time here?

Your SO much have a hobby or obsession he/she spends time and money on, right? Most people do...on one level or another. Try asking them to think about how important to their own identity their own wants and needs are, and let them know how important music and Pearl Jam are to you...maybe you'll get through.

Good luck.Peace.
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Where shall I start.
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    Nothing seems to satisfy.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
    To breathe, to feel, to know Im alive.
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    My girlfriend and I met on U2.com, so we are both huge fans of U2 and had gone to many shows before we got together. It was funny when we moved in together how many items we both have like books, cd's, DVD's, etc. So she knows all about being on a forum and travelling to see shows and meeting up with people form here.
  • Since I met my husband on this forum, spending time focusing on PJ is never a source of conflict. However he does spend too much time focusing on footy :roll: :lol:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
    Since I met my husband on this forum, spending time focusing on PJ is never a source of conflict. However he does spend too much time focusing on footy :roll: :lol:

ha! I like footy too, she likes baseball and we both like football, so I guess it all evens out for us
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    she don't say much, but i don't buy much...

outside of tickets and new music, all i have bought was the white record....then i showed her ebay and she had nothing to say....not that she would have said anything anyways since i don't waste a ton of money on stupid shit....except beer. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • hostishostis Posts: 441
    quite the opposite. I have said to my wife that I was to ebay all my vinyl so we have a little 'cushion' for when kiddiewinks come along and she has told me she would be gutted if I did that and should keep hold of it regardless....
  • rick1zoo2 wrote:
    Since I met my husband on this forum, spending time focusing on PJ is never a source of conflict. However he does spend too much time focusing on footy :roll: :lol:

ha! I like footy too, she likes baseball and we both like football, so I guess it all evens out for us
    They only show his games in the middle of the night here so I'm sleeping :lol: Sleeping trumps footy. Although I did go with him to watch the grand final at some bar last year and fell asleep in the booth :? :oops: :lol:

rick1zoo2 wrote:

They only show his games in the middle of the night here so I'm sleeping :lol: Sleeping trumps footy. Although I did go with him to watch the grand final at some bar last year and fell asleep in the booth :? :oops: :lol:

haha! I normally fall asleep to baseball, we both doze for football, and I DVR games that happen during the week while I am at work.

Where is he from?
  • rick1zoo2 wrote:

haha! I normally fall asleep to baseball, we both doze for football, and I DVR games that happen during the week while I am at work.

Where is he from?
    South Australia. His team won the final this year :roll: I will never hear the end of this :lol:

rick1zoo2 wrote:

Where is he from?
    South Australia. His team won the final this year :roll: I will never hear the end of this :lol:

wow, and you got him to move here? My girfriend only moved here from NYC, doesn't seem so far now. :D

and she is a Red Sox fan, so I am hearing nothing right now :mrgreen:
  • rick1zoo2 wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

Where is he from?

wow, and you got him to move here? My girfriend only moved here from NYC, doesn't seem so far now. :D

and she is a Red Sox fan, so I am hearing nothing right now :mrgreen:
    I'm worth it ;) I was going to move there originally...worked out better for him to come here.

Oh I bet! :lol:

• 81 wrote:
    she don't say much, but i don't buy much...

outside of tickets and new music, all i have bought was the white record....then i showed her ebay and she had nothing to say....not that she would have said anything anyways since i don't waste a ton of money on stupid shit....except beer. :lol:
    Is spending money on beer a waste :o;)
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Our current debt, it can not be denied, much is PJ related

but it is and has been great memories, a great love ...

somethings are priceless :D
  • not an issue.
    ever.
    we both are pretty damn supportive/tolerant of each other's passions.
    he's a musician/huge music fan in general, and he enjoys pj too - though not anywhere to the degree i do.
    he let's me buy whatever i want that's pj related. wish i never got started with the posters :lol: b/c i AM a completist, but, i do love to look at em on the wall. otherwise, my money goes towards the music, and most especially, the tours! thankfull, he is a-ok with me going just about anywhere to see pj, with or without him.
    it works well.

for the record, he probably has a more enviable pj shirt collection than some bigger fans, haha - and he takes the pj20 backpack to/from work. 8-)

to be fair, he just ordered a new bass - so it's all good.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    I don't spend anything on merch, maybe the odd t-shirt, but I would on tours and travelling and he's been nothing but supportive. I couldn't be with someone who didn't support my tours :D

It's also important to see their side of things though - if you have a mortgage and kids and it's a choice between a show and a new uniform or something, then you've gotta cop on a little!
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    pandora wrote:

youre in debt cause of pearl jam.. a friggin rock band????
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    yes

:lol:

i just give her shopping $'s and send her to the mall. :mrgreen:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    pandora wrote:

youre in debt cause of pearl jam.. a friggin rock band????
    Yes but one must take into account the slam our business has taken a few times in the
    last decade.

We travelled to see PJ though our money was going to keep the biz above water.

So it is a combination of factors.

We do not regret the great times at all as I said PJ memories are priceless!....
    they are not just a friggin rock band, not at all to us! :D
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,875
    going into debt for PJ is silly

no matter how many excuses you think up to convince yourself that it's ok... it's not

if you don't have a job or income... don't buy a friggin poster or tshirt

additionally... having a ball and chain that bitches at you is also silly

life is too short

although if she's bitching at you ... and it's logical... then i guess the problem is you
    Money is not the end all in life... one is not taking it with them
    it is really unimportant ...

Enjoy! never know... today could be your last!

Money, you have it ....
    then you don't have it.
    This is a familiar lesson these days for people...
    and with no fault of their own.

Celebrate love... make memories, they are to keep
    Personally I'd rather be counting memories than money any day :D
    this is living!
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    pandora wrote:

Money, you have it ....
    then you don't have it.

this is living!

Reality Check?

It's not living when the bank,mortgage,bill's etc come calling ... they need to be paid first surely?
    You'd be on a hiding to nothing gaining empathy because you can't pay a bill as the money went on a rock band,I agree with catefrances,in the grand scheme of life this is what this band are,a rock band,a fine rock band but still just a rock band.
    I love music but it's my entire music collection that keeps me breathing,not just one band.Memories are easier to count after the day to day's of life have been paid for.
    To do less is irresponsible,you may not be here tomorrow but who pays your outstanding bills? Your children left behind?
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
    stargirl69 wrote:
    pandora wrote:

Money, you have it ....
    then you don't have it.

this is living!

Reality Check?

It's not living when the bank,mortgage,bill's etc come calling ... they need to be paid first surely?
    You'd be on a hiding to nothing gaining empathy because you can't pay a bill as the money went on a rock band,I agree with catefrances,in the grand scheme of life this is what this band are,a rock band,a fine rock band but still just a rock band.
    I love music but it's my entire music collection that keeps me breathing,not just one band.Memories are easier to count after the day to day's of life have been paid for.
    To do less is irresponsible,you may not be here tomorrow but who pays your outstanding bills? Your children left behind?
    Well haven't had to put my house payment on a credit card yet...
    guess we are doing ok then

but I have done so with concert tix, airfare, rental car, hotel, delicious cocktails and food,
    partying with other fans ....just making awesome memories... no regrets

Kids don't have to pay for their parents debt .... just as I am not responsible for theirs anymore
    they are adults. But we may be spending their inheritance ;)
    pandora wrote:

Money, you have it ....
    then you don't have it.

this is living!

youre right pandora.. money isnt everything and mos def you cant take it with you.. but credit isnt money. anyone who buys something on credit is buying something the dont have the money for... even if you pay it off when the statement comes. why not save, then buy whatever. credit is a tool used to keep your nose to the grindstone. it is used to create a world that couldnt exist without it. i will create my memories and i will celebrate love and i will do so without relying on a future which may not come into existence.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Not a problem at all.
    Neither of us are into the merchandise except for a few tees and hoodies.
    We don't go crazy with shows, just one when they're within a 6 hour drive.
    I regret buying the book because I have no intention of reading even half of the thing.

We do go crazy with a diverse number of shows, only seeing PJ would get pretty old to us; there is a lot of great music out there.

They are just a band, I will repeat,They are just a band, and they are certainly not worth going into debt for. Nothing is. If you can afford all the extras, great for you. I know I couldn't and it doesn't matter because I have no desire to.
    pandora wrote:

Money, you have it ....
    then you don't have it.

this is living!

youre right pandora.. money isnt everything and mos def you cant take it with you.. but credit isnt money. anyone who buys something on credit is buying something the dont have the money for... even if you pay it off when the statement comes. why not save, then buy whatever. credit is a tool used to keep your nose to the grindstone. it is used to create a world that couldnt exist without it. i will create my memories and i will celebrate love and i will do so without relying on a future which may not come into existence.

x1

I see friends juggling multiple credit cards in order for them to enjoy the finer things in life :eh: ... then sweat when the bills arrive ... they question me with :wtf: looks because I will not buy into the want it/need it/must have it now credit card culture that permeates our society.

If you can't pay don't play
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    stargirl69 wrote:
    pandora wrote:

Money, you have it ....
    then you don't have it.

this is living!

x1

I see friends juggling multiple credit cards in order for them to enjoy the finer things in life :eh: ... then sweat when the bills arrive ... they question me with :wtf: looks because I will not buy into the want it/need it/must have it now credit card culture that permeates our society.

+1

The best things in life are not things.
    Jeanwah wrote:
    stargirl69 wrote:

x1

+1

The best things in life are not things.

but they are free. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Jeanwah wrote: