edited November 2011 in A Moving Train
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    YardenYarden Posts: 820
    interesting
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,272
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    Many of these questions will never be answered but only time will tell. Well maybe a global catastrophe will bring this planet and it's people to work together to solve its problems.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    Sheeeeeeit! I knew 7 billion was coming but, wham! Just like that? Aughh- too fast- makes my head spin!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    _ wrote:

Neverrmind....my math was of.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Pap wrote:

damm ... just spent 20 mins watching various this vs. that vids from national geographic ... the crocodile vs. python one was pretty interesting ...
  • Options
    inlet13inlet13 Posts: 1,979
    One of the fundamental problems with the population subject is:

...it's easy to say our resources are scarce, and more people, means less resources for everyone. Therefore, we're going to have problems, like extreme poverty, starvation, etc.

The problem is folks rarely explain that the opposite has occurred over the last 200 years. If one argued we had less resources, one could easily argue back we've gotten more from less because of technology. In fact, one could argue in some cases, we actually increased our resources because of technology. Moreover, we've had less problems over the past 200 years, like extreme poverty, starvation, etc....yet, we've had more people.

This is not an easy subject to discuss. Anyone who paints the picture as if more people is necessarily 100% bad for the average person's well being, is not well-versed on the subject.
    Here's a new demo called "in the fire":

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt; <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href=" - In the Fire (demo)</a> by <a href="
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    "Carrying Capacity": An ecological term worth studying.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I would be in favor of population control, it's the logical step to take.
  • Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
  • Options
    brianlux wrote:
    Sheeeeeeit! I knew 7 billion was coming but, wham! Just like that? Aughh- too fast- makes my head spin!

Supposedly it happened on Halloween. Seems fitting to me. It's scary.
  • Options
    inlet13 wrote:
    One of the fundamental problems with the population subject is:

...it's easy to say our resources are scarce, and more people, means less resources for everyone. Therefore, we're going to have problems, like extreme poverty, starvation, etc.

The problem is folks rarely explain that the opposite has occurred over the last 200 years. If one argued we had less resources, one could easily argue back we've gotten more from less because of technology. In fact, one could argue in some cases, we actually increased our resources because of technology. Moreover, we've had less problems over the past 200 years, like extreme poverty, starvation, etc....yet, we've had more people.

This is not an easy subject to discuss. Anyone who paints the picture as if more people is necessarily 100% bad for the average person's well being, is not well-versed on the subject.

I've never heard anyone paint the picture like that. :?
  • Options

That could mean so many different things. Personally, I'm in favor of slowing population growth by educating girls.
  • Options
    _ wrote:

That could mean so many different things. Personally, I'm in favor of slowing population growth by educating girls.

I don't think mistakes are filling up the world, i look at various religous group, for instance, Catholics, Hasidic Jews, Mexicans, there seems to be some unspoken religous war and way to win it is to reproduce as fast as you can.
  • Options
    _ wrote:

I don't think mistakes are filling up the world, i look at various religous group, for instance, Catholics, Hasidic Jews, Mexicans, there seems to be some unspoken religous war and way to win it is to reproduce as fast as you can.
    :lol: I didn't know Mexican was a religion. ;)
  • Options
    _ wrote:
    :lol: I didn't know Mexican was a religion. ;)

:lol: Must be
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    9 million prediction by scientists by mid-century. Even if we have technological advances to help with environmental conditions, 2 more billion people will have catastrophic results. (I only know this because I have to write a paper relating vegetarianism to environmental factors).

That video was interesting in that if we all stood side by side, we'd take up the same amount of room as the size of Los Angeles. Neat perspective!