Options

Apparently this is a Size 8

ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
edited November 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Am I just getting old? She does have a pretty face, but I feel this too skinny... :shock:

http://www.fashionist.ca/2011/11/advert ... model.html

The UK's Advertising Standards Authority has banned another fashion ad for featuring a too-skinny model. The advertising watchdog has decided that an online ad campaign for Brit clothing company Drop Dead is "socially irresponsible" for featuring a model who appears underweight.

The ASA's ruling came in response to a formal complaint.

"In the bikini images her hip, rib and collar bones were highly visible. We also noted that in the bikini and denim shorts images, hollows in her thighs were noticeable and she had prominent thigh bones. We considered that in combination with the stretched out pose and heavy eye makeup, the model looked underweight in the pictures."

According to Drop Dead Clothing Ltd, the bikini-clad model was a standard size eight and was "representative of young people".

What do you think of Drop Dead's bikini ad? Should the advertisement have been banned?
Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Really?? Maybe they assign a size to the clothing now that matches a girl's age...I mean that model looks about eight so I guess that's the size.
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    Really?? Maybe they assign a size to the clothing now that matches a girl's age...I mean that model looks about eight so I guess that's the size.

I know!! It's kind of scary, as 8-year-olds may see that ad. Like kids don't have enough things they see that makes them feel less than.
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    Ew. She looks - awful.
  • Options
    Enkidu wrote:
    Ew. She looks - awful.

I feel bad for her...there is no way she looks that way naturally... :shock:
  • Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    There is absolutely no way in hell that this girl is a size eight. When I was younger & used to do some modeling, there were some gigs I couldn't get because I wasn't nearly big enough to fit into the "standard size eight" - and I was certainly bigger than that girl. I'm not bashing her figure; I know that some people are naturally skinny just like some people are naturally heavy. But I absolutely don't think this is an image the media should be portraying as ideal (which is what they're saying when they choose models). Just looking at her makes me sad. It reminds me of holocaust victims.
  • Options
    Enkidu wrote:
    Ew. She looks - awful.

Actually, I know people who do look like that naturally, so you never know.
  • Options
    _ wrote:
    Enkidu wrote:
    Ew. She looks - awful.

Actually, I know people who do look like that naturally, so you never know.

You are right. I am not used to seeing it in ads. Sorry to have offended anyone.
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Maybe they mean she can fit inside a men's size 8 shoe

Shoe.jpg
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    That is certainly not a UK size 8. I used to be size 8 (OK... a long time ago!) and no ribs or anything were protuding. At nearly 17, my daughter is a small size 8 (ie size 8 fits her very comfortably but size 6 is 'just') and she looks nothing like this young woman on the photo. If this lady is naturally skinny, that's fine but for her to be described as a 'standard size 8', that is just so wrong.
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    That is certainly not a UK size 8. I used to be size 8 (OK... a long time ago!) and no ribs or anything were protuding. At nearly 17, my daughter is a small size 8 (ie size 8 fits her very comfortably but size 6 is 'just') and she looks nothing like this young woman on the photo. If this lady is naturally skinny, that's fine but for her to be described as a 'standard size 8', that is just so wrong.

Seriously. Why do they have to straight up lie about it?!
  • Options
    _ wrote:
    redrock wrote:

Seriously. Why do they have to straight up lie about it?!

I think something called Vanity Sizing also comes into play with clothes. Where they put a smaller or larger number to fit their target demographic. I thinks it's so they can sell more.
  • Options
    Ok, I think she looks waaaaaaaaay too skinny - but she could well be a standard size 8. If UK sizes are the same as AU sizes (which I THINK they are), then she looks like she could be an 8, but taller, so she SHOULD be about a 10. And if she is naturally skinny, and a size 8 fits her, then they can describe her as a standard size 8, because that's what fits her. An Australian 8 is roughly the same as a US 4. And having just looked it up, it looks like AU and UK sizes are almost the same, a UK 8 being equivalent to a AU 10. This isn't a big difference in size.

And yes, some people ARE naturally very very skinny. One of my oldest friends, who I have known for well over 20 years now, is that skinny. She's not tall like the girl in the ad, but for her entire life, she's been ultra skinny. She has protruding collar bones and ribs and she has stick thin arms and legs. She eats like a horse, she has never dieted, has had two children, and is STILL that thin. So it is possible. Not very common, but possible.

If she is a teenager, she could well still be growing and that would explain the ribs and hip bones. My 14 year old daughter is taller than me (like about 166 cms), she is 53kgs, she wears anywhere between a 6 and 10 depending on the brand, she is very skinny and has hip bones that protrude like that. (Yes, vanity sizing comes into it, and that is wrong) but she eats ALL the time (literally), she has healthy self esteem, she is horrified that to some she looks too skinny, but she is what she is. She is a kid who is still growing and is quite lanky and hasn't grown fully into her body. This girl could be exactly the same, so without knowing her personal circumstances it's not fair to jump on her and say she's anorexic or something.

But yes, she looks uncomfortably skinny, and if that was my daughter, I would only be satisfied that she wasn't unhealthy, if I personally saw her eating!!!
  • Options
    in eds words

Such fine examples, skinny little bitch
    Model, role model, roll some models in blood
    Get some flesh to stick, so they look like us
  • Options
    Ok, I think she looks waaaaaaaaay too skinny - but she could well be a standard size 8. If UK sizes are the same as AU sizes (which I THINK they are), then she looks like she could be an 8, but taller, so she SHOULD be about a 10. And if she is naturally skinny, and a size 8 fits her, then they can describe her as a standard size 8, because that's what fits her. An Australian 8 is roughly the same as a US 4. And having just looked it up, it looks like AU and UK sizes are almost the same, a UK 8 being equivalent to a AU 10. This isn't a big difference in size.

And yes, some people ARE naturally very very skinny. One of my oldest friends, who I have known for well over 20 years now, is that skinny. She's not tall like the girl in the ad, but for her entire life, she's been ultra skinny. She has protruding collar bones and ribs and she has stick thin arms and legs. She eats like a horse, she has never dieted, has had two children, and is STILL that thin. So it is possible. Not very common, but possible.

If she is a teenager, she could well still be growing and that would explain the ribs and hip bones. My 14 year old daughter is taller than me (like about 166 cms), she is 53kgs, she wears anywhere between a 6 and 10 depending on the brand, she is very skinny and has hip bones that protrude like that. (Yes, vanity sizing comes into it, and that is wrong) but she eats ALL the time (literally), she has healthy self esteem, she is horrified that to some she looks too skinny, but she is what she is. She is a kid who is still growing and is quite lanky and hasn't grown fully into her body. This girl could be exactly the same, so without knowing her personal circumstances it's not fair to jump on her and say she's anorexic or something.

But yes, she looks uncomfortably skinny, and if that was my daughter, I would only be satisfied that she wasn't unhealthy, if I personally saw her eating!!!

I forgot about the difference in UK, AU, & US sizing. But then I don't understand why a US 8 would be considered standard in the US & a UK 8 (which is apparently really a US 4) would be standard in the UK. That's a pretty big difference.
  • Options
    _ wrote:

I forgot about the difference in UK, AU, & US sizing. But then I don't understand why a US 8 would be considered standard in the US & a UK 8 (which is apparently really a US 4) would be standard in the UK. That's a pretty big difference.

I'm not sure what you're saying. It was a UK company, so I took it as meaning it was a standard UK size 8. That means standard size 10 in Aus, and a standard size 6 in the US. That's not overly small. Before I had kids I was a standard size 8 AU. After kids, I have been a standard size 10 AU. I'm resisting going up to a 12, because I have put on a few needless kilos, but I've never ever been underweight. And I also took it as they were saying she fit a standard size 8 - not that size 8 should be the standard. If she was a 12 or 14 and it fit her, then they could say she was a standard size 12 or 14, meaning that's what fits her, not saying that size should be the standard for everyone.
  • Options
    ...without knowing her personal circumstances it's not fair to jump on her and say she's anorexic or something.

I don't think anyone said anything like that, though some did express that they thought she was too skinny. As said, it may be she is like that naturally. What I do have problems with is the clothing company stating she is a 'standard size 8' and 'representative of young people'. She is definitely not a good example to plaster around saying she is 'representative' of a certain age group - she's not. Also, as shimmymommy said about 'vanity sizes', why don't they just say it's THEIR size 8 which would be equivalent to a 4-6???

All clothes manufacturers size their clothes differently. I've recently tried on a dress which was a size 14 (as I knew they sized small) and it was WAY too tight for me and abit big for my daughter. So I would say this dress was more like a size 10 (I know I put on some weight but didn't think I went to over a 14!). So this dress was definitely not a 'standard' size 14 but a 14 for this manufacturer.
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    ...without knowing her personal circumstances it's not fair to jump on her and say she's anorexic or something.

I don't think anyone said anything like that, though some did express that they thought she was too skinny. As said, it may be she is like that naturally. What I do have problems with is the clothing company stating she is a 'standard size 8' and 'representative of young people'. She is definitely not a good example to plaster around saying she is 'representative' of a certain age group - she's not. Also, as shimmymommy said about 'vanity sizes', why don't they just say it's THEIR size 8 which would be equivalent to a 4-6???

All clothes manufacturers size their clothes differently. I've recently tried on a dress which was a size 14 (as I knew they sized small) and it was WAY too tight for me and abit big for my daughter. So I would say this dress was more like a size 10 (I know I put on some weight but didn't think I went to over a 14!). So this dress was definitely not a 'standard' size 14 but a 14 for this manufacturer.

I get that vanity sizing sucks. It really does. There's nothing worse than going into a store and trying something on to find it doesn't fit AT ALL. But ALL stores and clothing manufacturers state standard size when referring to their clothes. None of them will say "hey, we size differently to others so take that into account." Also, I missed where it says how old she is so I can't say if she's an accurate representation of a certain age group. But she could be. YES, she looks too skinny, but there are PLENTY of girls in their early teens who are very very skinny, so in that sense she WOULD be an accurate representation of a certain age group.

I totally get that it's not healthy to have our children see underweight girls being promoted as normal and have that be their role model. BUT, as someone who has ALWAYS been skinnier, it's kind of unjust and unfair when everyone thinks you must be not eating or something to look so skinny. And then to have people say 'oh, it must be vanity sizing'. It's vanity sizing if they say it's smaller than it actually is. If I went to a store and tried to fit into an AU 8, and did, it'd be vanity sizing. But if I had to buy a 12 or 14 to fit, that's not vanity sizing, cause no one wants to feel bigger than they are. It's just different manufacturing clothing standards in that case.

Yes, she looks too skinny because you can see her ribs and hips. But that doesn't mean she isn't a perfectly healthy and normal girl. So it's unfair to get annoyed at her being portrayed as representative of a certain age group. She shouldn't be penalised because she is skinny - that's no different to penalising someone who is a little overweight. Would people be so outraged if the girl was a size or two bigger than what they perceive as normal? Or would they say well most people ARE overweight so she's normal?

Without knowing her personal circumstances, you can't say she isn't an accurate representation of a certain age group. If she is 14 and eats whatever she wants, and listens to crappy music, and talks on the phone with her friends, and facebooks them, and thinks she's everything that matters in the world, then regardless of her size she IS an accurate representation of a certain age group. If she watches what she eats and throws up in the toilet after, or if she eats way too much junk food and does no exercise, she is still an accurate representation of a certain age group because there is NO NORMAL. People are people and it takes all kinds to make up the world - whether she is a majority because of media stereotypes or if she is a minority because people think there is something bad about her, she is still a normal and accurate representation of girls of a certain age. Surely we can all see that, because all of the teenage girls in the world don't all look alike, and just because something is in the majority doesn't make it necessarily right.
  • Options
    But ALL stores and clothing manufacturers state standard size when referring to their clothes.

Not sure how it is in Australia but in the UK, it is not so. There is an established 'standard sizing' but manufacturers can put what they want. If not standard, one will generally see at tag with the 'manufacturer's sizing' attached to the garment.
    I totally get that it's not healthy to have our children see underweight girls being promoted as normal and have that be their role model.

You've hit the nail on the head here. It's what the industry is doing. There has been a huge backlash with the fashion industry for using underweight models (even if naturally skinny and healthy), etc. and some designers no longer use these on the catwalk/for promotion of their garments.

Yes, she looks too skinny because you can see her ribs and hips. But that doesn't mean she isn't a perfectly healthy and normal girl. So it's unfair to get annoyed at her being portrayed as representative of a certain age group. .....and just because something is in the majority doesn't make it necessarily right.

Never said she wasn't healthy or normal. But being 'representative' does mean that one represents a majority, a standard. Of course there are a lot of underweight/overweight young girls who are perfectly healthy and 'normal' but if one wants to be honest about this, models are not the 'norm'.

I understand that this may strike a chord with you as you are naturally thin but I don't think this thread is really about the model but how the industry behaves and the impact they have on the image of women (and also men to a lesser extent).
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    But ALL stores and clothing manufacturers state standard size when referring to their clothes.

Not sure how it is in Australia but in the UK, it is not so. There is an established 'standard sizing' but manufacturers can put what they want. If not standard, one will generally see at tag with the 'manufacturer's sizing' attached to the garment.
    I totally get that it's not healthy to have our children see underweight girls being promoted as normal and have that be their role model.

You've hit the nail on the head here. It's what the industry is doing. There has been a huge backlash with the fashion industry for using underweight models (even if naturally skinny and healthy), etc. and some designers no longer use these on the catwalk/for promotion of their garments.

Yes, she looks too skinny because you can see her ribs and hips. But that doesn't mean she isn't a perfectly healthy and normal girl. So it's unfair to get annoyed at her being portrayed as representative of a certain age group. .....and just because something is in the majority doesn't make it necessarily right.

Never said she wasn't healthy or normal. But being 'representative' does mean that one represents a majority, a standard. Of course there are a lot of underweight/overweight young girls who are perfectly healthy and 'normal' but if one wants to be honest about this, models are not the 'norm'.

I understand that this may strike a chord with you as you are naturally thin but I don't think this thread is really about the model but how the industry behaves and the impact they have on the image of women (and also men to a lesser extent).

Ok. Didn't realise that's how the UK dealt with their sizing. Fair enough then. Second point - don't you think it's also the parent's responsibility to educate their children that what they see in ads and tv is not reality? Yes, advertisers make this job harder, but a well grounded child WILL understand that this is not reality. There is so much bombardment within our society in EVERY area, not just models - if the parent's don't teach their child to understand the difference between real life, and reality tv, or pictures in a magazine, well I'm sorry, but they are partly to blame. I don't mean to offend anyone but there is way too much pansy arse parenting, where the blame for all of their children's ills falls on the media and propaganda. Teach your child right from wrong and give them the ability to know what they see is what the advertiser wants them to see and you will have less problems than you think. I have three daughters and they are well aware of the difference between reality and what advertisers portray as real. So where does this ramble go - my point that I was trying to make, was that it's grossly unfair to discriminate against naturally thin models because the vast majority of the population is too lazy to parent correctly.

I looked up the meaning of the word representative - it means 'one that serves as an example or type for others of the same classification', or 'one that serves as a delegate or agent for another'. It doesn't say anywhere that a representative has to represent the majority. It's simply representing a particular group. In this case, teenage girls. One child cannot possibly represent all teenage girls because as we have already established, there really is no norm when it comes to teenage girls. They come in ALL shapes, sizes and mentalities. And why aren't models the norm? I know plenty of skinny people. With a bit of makeup, plenty of them could be equally as good as some of the models we see everyday on tv or in magazines. It's all superficial. When you strip back the layers of too thick make-up and overdone hair, and take away the designer clothes, they look just like you and me. What makes them models is their attitude generally. There are plenty of so called supermodels out there who I think look really quite ordinary. Perhaps it's my attitude that beauty really is only skin deep - what's on the inside shows through far more brightly than any layers of makeup ever can. My children also understand this. That's what I mean about parenting. It's the hardest job in the world, and to lay the blame solely on the feet of the advertisers and marketing campaigners is bad parenting in my opinion. It's a cop out for people who buy into stereotypes. I'm not saying you are like that, so please don't take it as I am. I'm not trying to start an argument - simply having a reasoned debate.

Lastly, I think this thread IS about the model. The OP says that she thinks the model is too skinny, or perhaps she's just getting old. Then others respond also agreeing that she looks too young and is too skinny, so I think this thread IS about the model herself.
  • Options
    Whoa Stardust! This is now about bad parenting :shock:

You used the words 'role model'. That is exactly what these models are (as actors/other celebrities). Some are 'bigger', but most not (again whether naturally or starving themselves). Young girls look up to them and wish to emulate, thinking this is the norm/it's beautiful. Just look at the catwalks and photos in fashion magazines. If this didn't work, the industry wouldn't use it to sell their goods. Good parenting or not. And you are right, a lot of supermodels are quite plain/ordinary (though the majority thin/very thin). Nice clothes, a lot of make up and airbrushing and, hey presto, you've got the looks!
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    Whoa Stardust! This is now about bad parenting :shock:

You used the words 'role model'. That is exactly what these models are (as actors/other celebrities). Some are 'bigger', but most not (again whether naturally or starving themselves). Young girls look up to them and wish to emulate, thinking this is the norm/it's beautiful. Just look at the catwalks and photos in fashion magazines. If this didn't work, the industry wouldn't use it to sell their goods. Good parenting or not. And you are right, a lot of supermodels are quite plain/ordinary (though the majority thin/very thin). Nice clothes, a lot of make up and airbrushing and, hey presto, you've got the looks!

Hey, give me alcohol and I can make threads about anything! Yes, they are role models - but parents should teach their children that money, fame and fortune does not make a good person. It does not mean that person should be emulated or looked up to. Yes, easier said than done - it's hard work ALL the time. And there is a difference between looking up to someone and thinking that it's the norm. People look up to musicians everday - just look at us all here on this board - but we don't think their lifestyle and achievements are the norm, now do we?

Perhaps my experiences have made me biased towards skinny girls - maybe not - I definitely think she looks way too skinny. I just am not sure that it's from starving herself to achieve an impossible stereotype, or if it's because she's still growing and is a naturally thin, lanky teenage girl. I know I'm rambling now, I'm heading to being a little bit drunk. :)
  • Options
    People look up to musicians everday - just look at us all here on this board - but we don't think their lifestyle and achievements are the norm, now do we? )

Nope, but there have been people who picked up a uke after Eddie's album came out. Wouldn't have gone near that instrument before! :mrgreen: Influence.... :mrgreen:
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    People look up to musicians everday - just look at us all here on this board - but we don't think their lifestyle and achievements are the norm, now do we? )

Nope, but there have been people who picked up a uke after Eddie's album came out. Wouldn't have gone near that instrument before! :mrgreen: Influence.... :mrgreen:

I do really like that album, hehehe. Not going to learn the ukulele, although I wouldn't mind a cool purple or pink one sitting on the wall!
  • Options
    That's hot and she is too. Can I see a size 9 now please
    Just, not enough.
    I need more.
    Nothing seems to satisfy.
    I said, I dont want it.
    I just need it.
    To breathe, to feel, to know Im alive.
  • Options
    ew. Where's the T&A?
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Options
    shermsherm Seattle, Wa Posts: 708
    ew. Where's the T&A?

No kidding
    Detroit 03, Toronto 03, Toledo 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Cleveland 06, Detroit 06, Cincinnati 06, Chicago 07, Mansfield 08, EV Chicago 08, East Troy 11, Pensacola 12, EV Jax 12, Wrigley 13, Pittsburgh 13, Dallas 13, OKC 13, Detroit 14, Ft Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jax 16, Sea 18 
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    they are making clothes smaller these days... less cloth same size

what are they doing to young women... and why?
  • Options
    _ wrote:
    Her height is a factor as well. I'm a size 4, but I'm 5'1." She's probably close to 6' tall. That makes a huge difference. And for the record...I do have T&A ;)8-):lol:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    i never understood womens sizing...but she is not hot...i wouldn't want to see her if i was thumbing thru the victoria secrets catalog :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    Saw a commercial on TV the other night and I can't remember what it was for, women's underwear maybe? But, the girl was in panties and bra and I covered my eyes as I felt like I was watching something underage and illegal. It was definitly portraying her as an adult, but she looked like she had a 12 year old's body, except with implants. It actually made me feel uncomfortable.