Steve Jobs wins: Flash being phased out

lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
edited November 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Steve Jobs wins: Flash being phased out from mobile devices

http://www.thestar.com/business/article ... vices?bn=1

Steve Jobs appears to have won the Flash wars, even from the grave.

Adobe Inc. is phasing out the platform for mobile devices, a tech website says.

The company also announced a “restructuring of resources” including a focus on Flash for personal computers, at its Fourth Quarter results business meeting on Monday.

“Our future work with Flash on mobile devices will be focused on enabling Flash developers to package native apps with Adobe AIR for all the major app stores. We will no longer adapt Flash Player for mobile devices to new browser, OS version or device configurations,” the company will announce shortly, according to the tech site Zdnet. com.

At its results meeting, Adobe said it would be “focusing Flash resources on delivering the most advanced PC web experiences, including gaming and premium video, as well as mobile apps.”

Jobs, the late founder of Apple, famously vowed its devices would never use the Flash programs.

Shortly after introducing the iPad last year, Jobs spelled out his antipathy in an open letter.

“Adobe has characterized our decision as being primarily business driven — they say we want to protect our App Store — but in reality it is based on technology issues,” Jobs wrote. “Adobe claims that we are a closed system, and that Flash is open, but in fact the opposite is true.”

As well, he said, Flash is the main reason Mac computers crash, Flash sucks battery life and Flash was built to use with a computer mouse, not a touchscreen.

“The mobile era is about low power devices, touch interfaces and open web standards — all areas where Flash falls short,” said Jobs.

All true, wrote Jason Perlow at Zdnet, but the poor Flash performance is also because Jobs refused to help optimize it for Apple.

Adobe’s Flash is multimedia platform used to add animation, video, and interactivity to web pages.
I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Looks like I need another Flash update...
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    as long as i can still watch "movies" on my phone, we are cool :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I never missed flashed...the sites i visited regularly viewed on my ipad 2 worked just fine.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    oh wow you mean flash isn't good on a phone? :roll: who'da thunk it?
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    :mrgreen:
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    what is flash? like when you take a picture? :oops:
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Lizard wrote:
    what is flash? like when you take a picture? :oops:

internet software that plays games and movies.

some internet advertising is flash based.

apple (jobs) disliked it.

i don't have a problem with it. works fine on my phone
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • as far as i know Flash is great, if not the best, for animating webpages and other stuff in 2D, but as an output for video and applications it kinda sucks