Options

How do you teach an "older" person how to use a computer?

__ Posts: 6,651
edited December 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Okay, I'm having a problem. I hired an employee who's in her early 50s. (Yes, I know that's not old.) I really liked her much more than all the other applicants because she's extremely motivated and proactive. But it turns out that she's really computer illiterate.

The application asked them to rate proficiency levels at Word, Excel, Access, & EndNote, but I don't really feel like that's a good representation of actual skill level; it seems to be more a representation of ego level. I don't remember how she rated herself on these things on her application. All the applicants are college students (it's a work-study job at a university) and they had to apply online, so I figured they all have some basic ability to use a computer. I really need someone who can use EndNote, with which most people don't have experience, so when she told me she was already signed up for an EndNote class she seemed like even more of a perfect candidate. And you'd think that someone who's learning EndNote can use a computer. Plus, I figured I could just teach her whatever she didn't already know, especially since she was so eager to learn.

But I'm spending more time teaching her how to use a computer than if I had just done the job myself. At first I didn't mind. Just as with any new employee, I figured there was a learning curve and I thought of my time teaching her as an investment. But she really doesn't seem to be getting it.

I mean, she doesn't even know when to single-click or double-click on things. And I was showing her how to make folders and put documents in them the other day and when it was her turn to drag a document into a folder she kept trying to drag the folder into the document. I demonstrated with a physical folder and document why that wouldn't work and she seemed to understand a lot better when I related it to something she already understood, but then she made the same mistake again today. She also can't seem to understand about having more than one window open at a time. And the list goes on.

They're just such basic things that I'm at a complete and total loss as to how to explain them. I think there are some things that people of my generation just understand - and it's hard to teach something that you can't remember ever having been taught. (And I'm 35, so it's not like I've been using today's typical Windows-based operating systems my whole life. Computers were a LOT different when I was growing up than they are today.)

So I don't know what to do. I'm starting to feel like she's never going to learn and I'd rather just do things myself, which defeats the whole purpose of having hired her to begin with. And I think she's getting really stressed out by having me standing over her shoulder trying to teach her things that she's not really understanding. I swear I'm the nicest, most patient boss of all time ever with her and I give her nothing but praise & gratitude - but I'm pretty sure I saw tears running down her face today as I was trying to show her how to save a document in the right place with the right name using "save as". :( I feel horrible for both of us. But I'm not going to fire her; she REALLY needs this job and she really is trying - and she's great at doing the few things I need done that don't involve technology.

So does anyone have any ideas about how I can teach her how to use the computer when she can't seem to understand the most basic functions?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I feel for you and I've been in similiar situations to yours. Weighing your heart vs. productivity in the workplace. I've made some bad hires before and some ultimately cost me my ass.

Are there any WIndows classes or computer classes she could take at a local college? Maybe a community college that offers Saturday classes for older people trying to re-enter the workforce?
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    i dont think its possible. the single or double clicking drives me crazy. we have football pools and stuff at work i have to do all of my older friends picks. they just dont get it
  • Options
    DS1119 wrote:
    I feel for you and I've been in similiar situations to yours. Weighing your heart vs. productivity in the workplace. I've made some bad hires before and some ultimately cost me my ass.

Are there any WIndows classes or computer classes she could take at a local college? Maybe a community college that offers Saturday classes for older people trying to re-enter the workforce?

You know, I was thinking about looking into some classes. I know our university has some; I just need to find out how they would get paid for. Thanks!

(I think that what's really happening is that God is punishing me for being impatient with my mom's lack of computer skills all these years.)
  • Options
    StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    I don't know if this is an option in your area but here in the Lehigh/Delaware Valley area there are options for "retraining" displaced homemakers and older folks re-entering the workplace. PIC (private industry council) is one. And locally, job centers (reached through unemployment offices) are another. They both offer basic computer instruction for windows OS and for basic MS Office. Maybe contact the Private Industry Council, the Job/Employment Help Centers or local community college in your area and ask about free classes for new employees (having hired someone who has recently re-entered the workplace). ALSO, Small Business Administration in your area probably offers a lot of support for businesses hiring these types of workers.

I took one of these classes through my local Job Center back in '99 and was able to get a great job using computers upon completion of the course..and believe me, I didn't even know what in the world windows was when I started..now I'm a complete tech nerd :roll:

Good Luck! Don't give up. She may be computer illiterate right now, but offer her placement in one of these basics classes and see how she does...you might be very pleasantly surprised. An older worker has a lot to offer a small business, right?
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    _ wrote:
    (I think that what's really happening is that God is punishing me for being impatient with my mom's lack of computer skills all these years.)

I here this. :lol: :thumbup:
  • Options
    I am a 51 year old teacher with two masters degrees in technology. A large part of my job is professional development - teaching staff the latest and greatest in the ever changing world of instructional technology. It's not an easy job to "teach an old dog new tricks" but..... I have a 69 year old teacher getting a Smartboard in her classroom and she is excited and eager to learn. People generally want to LEARN - she does too but we all learn differently. Ask her how she best learns something new - have her relate to something she had a hard time with but eventually got. What worked then?

Working with every kind of computer user out there I have learned a few things: show her first with you using the mouse and her taking notes, writing what she hears you say, then undo, have her do what you showed her again. Don't always be grabbing the mouse to show her things - she needs to know that you think she can do it. Suggest YouTube or even better, TeacherTube, videos for her to watch; the Dummies books are good too. There are SO many tutorials online - google tutorials for elementary students and see what you find. A lot of great teachers out there share their resources - just don't tell the "older" lady it's for 10 year olds!

You sound like a great boss who is kind and patient. Kindness pays off!
    Good luck from an older techie who loves computers, learning, and PJ!!!! :D
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    http://www.lynda.com/Home-Computing-tra ... /59-0.html

My university got us free trials to this website.
    The videos that I have watched have been really good so far.
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    teriroseob wrote:
    I am a 51 year old teacher with two masters degrees in technology. A large part of my job is professional development - teaching staff the latest and greatest in the ever changing world of instructional technology. It's not an easy job to "teach an old dog new tricks" but..... I have a 69 year old teacher getting a Smartboard in her classroom and she is excited and eager to learn. People generally want to LEARN - she does too but we all learn differently. Ask her how she best learns something new - have her relate to something she had a hard time with but eventually got. What worked then?

Working with every kind of computer user out there I have learned a few things: show her first with you using the mouse and her taking notes, writing what she hears you say, then undo, have her do what you showed her again. Don't always be grabbing the mouse to show her things - she needs to know that you think she can do it. Suggest YouTube or even better, TeacherTube, videos for her to watch; the Dummies books are good too. There are SO many tutorials online - google tutorials for elementary students and see what you find. A lot of great teachers out there share their resources - just don't tell the "older" lady it's for 10 year olds!

You sound like a great boss who is kind and patient. Kindness pays off!
    Good luck from an older techie who loves computers, learning, and PJ!!!! :D

Thank you SO much! That really helps. It's also helpful for my mom, who's a 57-year-old teacher who needs to learn computer skills in part so she can get her master's degree. Thanks for all the work you do!!
  • Options
    You guys all rock! All extremely helpful posts! :) I really do want to make this work with this employee.
  • Options
    _ wrote:
    You guys all rock! All extremely helpful posts! :) I really do want to make this work with this employee.

:thumbup: :clap:
  • Options
    Bump for the day crowd. :)
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    i do agree with StillHere...the local WorkSource office has many free classes on Basics of Outlook/Excel/Word etc. Some are even offered during the evening hours by community organizations.

I still feel proficient at the computer, heck, I downloaded Google Sketch-Up and within 3 hours, I had a decent model of something I want to build.

Also +1 on the poster that mentioned, 'let her watch, then let her do the tasks herself' I never learned anything when people showed me, I would write the steps down, and then had to physically do it and then I remembered.

Good Luck!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i would say there are a lot of things at play here ... 1. she's probably stressed about this particular aspect about the job and that may lead her to question herself constantly 2. she could have a unique learning style ... not everyone picks up things the same way as everyone else ... see if you can find something she understands and relate you instruction to it ... example ... say she cooks at home and has a really organized kitchen ... see if you can teach her things that can help her relate to that ...

i would also see if you can find a spare computer where she can take it home and practice ... doing tutorials and what not ... one where she could do absolutely no wrong ... i think sometimes the fear of doing something that could turn into a catastrophe puts so much fear into someone they lose any confidence in what they are doing ...
  • Options
    Were you not aware of this during the hiring process? I assume your job posting had certain computer skills and knowledge of programs listed? What happened here?........
  • Options
    Were you not aware of this during the hiring process? I assume your job posting had certain computer skills and knowledge of programs listed? What happened here?........

I guess I thought anyone who's a college student, applied for the job online, & was learning EndNote would have a basic enough understanding of how to operate a computer that I could teach her whatever she might not already know. I mean how could you get through three years of college these days or apply fir the job online without really understanding how to click a link or save a document?
  • Options
    I once spent 30 minutes on the phone trying to teach my parents how to copy and paste.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    I once spent 30 minutes on the phone trying to teach my parents how to copy and paste.

Haha... sounds like my experience with my mom. The worst part is that she refuses to learn/use proper terminology, so I can never figure out what the hell she's talking about, especially over the phone.
  • Options
    maybe she had someone apply online on her behalf? I might suggest that she take a beginner's class at the library for example (the type of class where they show you how to turn on the computer, very elementary stuff.)
    she might have a cheat sheet to take away with her too.
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Very slooooooooooowly.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    I would agree with those who mentioned a class, even if it's just a computer class for beginners at a community college. It seems that I also recall seeing like a 4 hour class on Microsoft around, but I can't be sure about that. :? You both may feel better, and she would be more comfortable, if she was formally familiarized with it. Hopefully the EndNote class that you said she had signed up for will help, too. Good luck. I hope it works out. :) Sometimes the ole' brain just takes a little longer to process things, so maybe she will get the hang of it with use. My mom, although considerably older than your employee, can still not get a handle on 'copy and paste'. :D
    edit: omg, that is so funny! I just saw the posts made before mine, and apparently my mom isn't the only one with the copy and paste issues! :lol:
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    _ wrote:

Haha... sounds like my experience with my mom. The worst part is that she refuses to learn/use proper terminology, so I can never figure out what the hell she's talking about, especially over the phone.

why do older people get a computer if they can't install the virus protection? it's very frustrating to help over the phone, esp when they don't know the terminology.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    I don't think I'm that old -

but whenever I ask my 14 yr old daughter how to do something on the computer -

she just rolls her eyes and starts laughing at me.... :)
    ********************************************************************************************* image