Breaking contract vs. full price for new phone?

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited November 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I've been with Verizon for about 6 months. My phone I have has always sucked. Reception sucks and all it does is text.

Been thinking about getting an iPhone, but it's $650 with no contract!

or, I could break my current contract for $175 and pay $199 for iphone with new contract.

What gives? is there a better way?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Gob wrote:
    I've been with Verizon for about 6 months. My phone I have has always sucked. Reception sucks and all it does is text.

or, I could break the contract for $175 and pay $199 for iphone with new contract.

Just stay w/ Verizon and pay the $199 for an iPhone w/ contract. I never have any reception issues w/ my iPhone in the Chicago area.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Gob wrote:

or, I could break the contract for $175 and pay $199 for iphone with new contract.

Just stay w/ Verizon and pay the $199 for an iPhone w/ contract. I never have any reception issues w/ my iPhone in the Chicago area.
    But I'm under a 2 year contract, six months in, with my crap phone. :?
  • Gob wrote:
    Gob wrote:

But I'm under a 2 year contract, six months in, with my crap phone. :?

I gotcha. That sucks. What phone do you have now?

It's just a Samsung Intensity II. It just has a qwerty keyboard for text. No special features.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Gob wrote:

It's just a Samsung Intensity II. It just has a qwerty keyboard for text. No special features.

You could buy a used Iphone 4 off of Ebay. They are selling for around 350-375 and you would still be under the terms of your original contract. Keep in mind however, when you activate the IPhone your monthly bill will go up 30 bucks a month for the data plan. If you went this way, in a year and a half you could then still sell the IPhone 4 for a couple of hundred when you upgrade again. The IPhone has ridiculous resale value.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    Gob wrote:

or, I could break my current contract for $175 and pay $199 for iphone with new contract.

house phone
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    Gob wrote:

I actually just inquired about this at the Verizon Store yesterday. The guy warned me that if you break your contract you lose your phone number. I agree with the idea of just buying an iPhone off eBay. Or you could just use a less expensive phone for awhile. The guy also told me you can get a new phone after 20 months; I had thought it was 24.
    _ wrote:
    Gob wrote:

I actually just inquired about this at the Verizon Store yesterday. The guy warned me that if you break your contract you lose your phone number. I agree with the idea of just buying an iPhone off eBay. Or you could just use a less expensive phone for awhile. The guy also told me you can get a new phone after 20 months; I had thought it was 24.
    What if you broke your contract to go to another carrier? I don't think they can take your phone number.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I got the unlocked iphone...tired of contracts...of course here in Canada our contracts are 3 years. Plus on vacation out of the country the roaming rates are expensive.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,940
    no, if you order the new phone whatever the online deal is thats it. You would at THAT point be under a new more expensive contract with Verizon upon activation. That fee refers to leaving verizon as your cell carrier. gt online on your "my verizon" and use the chat feature with a Verizon Rep.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Gob wrote:
    What if you broke your contract to go to another carrier? I don't think they can take your phone number.

I'm not so sure about the taking the number thing. Sounds like a "scare tactic' to me.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    DS1119 wrote:
    Gob wrote:

I'm not so sure about the taking the number thing. Sounds like a "scare tactic' to me.

LNP (local number portability)-you 'own' the phone number regardless if you are under contract or not. ALTHOUGH your new carrier AND old carrier may charge you to take your number and activate it under a new carrier. I have done this for customers back when I worked for a big name wireless carrier. It's basically just a number of clicks in the system, but they can charge up to $50 (each company) to port the number.

So if you do switch, you will be out up to $275 (ETF and LNP fees) plus any additional activation fees ($25-35) from the new carrier, and the cost of a new phone $200+ (or about that).
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Don't get an iphone!!
    Brisk. wrote:
    Don't get an iphone!!

81 would be proud... :lol:

psst...I love my droid
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    Gob wrote:
    _ wrote:
    Gob wrote:

That's what I said. But he said you can keep your phone number if you go to another carrier, but not if you break your contract & stay with the same carrier (at least for Verizon). I told him that's absurd & he didn't disagree, but he said that's the way it is.
    DS1119 wrote:
    Gob wrote:

I agree that it's fucked up, but I don't think this guy was bullshitting me. I was buying a new iPhone & signing a new contract - not trying to break one - so he didn't really have a reason to try to scare me. I was actually debating whether to go ahead & sign a new contract & get the 4S then or just wait it out for the 5, and that info would actually scare people into NOT signing a new contract, so he couldn't have benefitted from making it up. It doesn't sound right to me & I guess the guy could have been wrong, but he really did seem to know what he was talking about. He was extremely helpful.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    can you hear me now?

might be worth picking up a good cheap used phone on ebay....may i suggest an LTE phone....which may allow you to dump home internet.

1577722468.png
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Brisk. wrote:
    Don't get an iphone!!

psst...I love my droid

bless your heart :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Brisk. wrote:
    Don't get an iphone!!

psst...I love my droid

bless your heart :lol:

;)

- Christopher McCandless