Options

RHCP without Frusciante...

youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
edited November 2011 in Other Music
just ain't the Red Hot Chili Peppers to me.

Don't get me wrong, I know he only played on 50% of the bands albums. Hillel Slovak was their original guitarist and was a genious at his trade. The early funk of the RHCP would not have been possible without the genious of Hillel. And I realize that Flea and Cliff Martinez were the best rhythm section for funk in the 80's. Jack Irons was no slouch on the Uplift Mofo Party Plan album. But when Frusciante joined the band in '88 after Hillel's untimely death, it changed the Peppers forever. Mother's Milk was a new sound for the Peppers compared to the previous 3 albums and they peaked commercially with Blood Sugar Sex Magic. Some of their best songs came from these albums. Frusciante left due to his issues with fame and heavy drug use. Replaced by Dave Navarro for 1995's One Hot Minute, the album was a commercial flop. Enter 1998, Frusciante re-joins the band to record Californication which goes on to sell 15 million records and is their most successful album to date, followed by By The Way which is my favorite album by them, and the mighty Stadium Arcadium in 2006 which is packed with hits. Not ragging on the new album, which I think is pretty good, but it is missing that Frusciante touch. You can tell he is not the guitarist and it seems that the Peppers are missing a great creative force. No disrespect to Josh Klinghoffer who clearly is a great guitarist, but even he would agree he is no John Frusciante.
He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    youngster wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I know he only played on 50% of the bands albums. Hillel Slovak was their original guitarist and was a genious at his trade. The early funk of the RHCP would not have been possible without the genious of Hillel. And I realize that Flea and Cliff Martinez were the best rhythm section for funk in the 80's. Jack Irons was no slouch on the Uplift Mofo Party Plan album. But when Frusciante joined the band in '88 after Hillel's untimely death, it changed the Peppers forever. Mother's Milk was a new sound for the Peppers compared to the previous 3 albums and they peaked commercially with Blood Sugar Sex Magic. Some of their best songs came from these albums. Frusciante left due to his issues with fame and heavy drug use. Replaced by Dave Navarro for 1995's One Hot Minute, the album was a commercial flop. Enter 1998, Frusciante re-joins the band to record Californication which goes on to sell 15 million records and is their most successful album to date, followed by By The Way which is my favorite album by them, and the mighty Stadium Arcadium in 2006 which is packed with hits. Not ragging on the new album, which I think is pretty good, but it is missing that Frusciante touch. You can tell he is not the guitarist and it seems that the Peppers are missing a great creative force. No disrespect to Josh Klinghoffer who clearly is a great guitarist, but even he would agree he is no John Frusciante.
    I was thinking about this the other day. I thought that John wrote the majority of the music, and that void shows in the new album imo.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • Options
    EZ1221C wrote:
    youngster wrote:

I was thinking about this the other day. I thought that John wrote the majority of the music, and that void shows in the new album imo.

They were different after Hillel and now they're different after John. We'll see where it goes.
  • Options
    EZ1221C wrote:
    youngster wrote:

They were different after Hillel and now they're different after John. We'll see where it goes.

Absolutely! And if the next album is better than Californication, I will eat my words!

• Options
    well it makes sense that you wouldnt feel they are the same chili peppers anymore, because they arent. all their most acclaimed and loved albums feature john.

john is most likely the best guitarist of our generation.

that said, its not like josh is a slouch. he's very talented. is he a virtuoso like frusciante? no, but who is? the guy (josh0 obviously hugely talented, he played drums in warpaint as well, so he's damn good
  • Options
    EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    youngster wrote:
    EZ1221C wrote:

Absolutely! And if the next album is better than Californication, I will eat my words!
    Only time will tell. I will say though that is it damn hard to follow up 3 guitarists as talented as Hillel, John, Dave, and John. Not really a knock on Klinghoffer, just an observation.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • Options
    i also think the new album is different and a change of pace, because we are so used to the theatrics and crazy insane solos and inventive sounds from frusciante.

with josh, he has a very understated style. that said, he's a talented guy.
  • Options
    i also think the new album is different and a change of pace, because we are so used to the theatrics and crazy insane solos and inventive sounds from frusciante.

with josh, he has a very understated style. that said, he's a talented guy.

I agree. He is super talented. But I love those inventive, crazy solos from Frusciante. It's what made the Peppers fun to see in concert.

• Options
    I'll see them live if they come around, but it would be kind of strange.

And the answer to 'greatest guitarist of 'our' generation' is Derek Trucks.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    i'm with you is still a great album, but it definitely is not the same with frusciante.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    This might sound weird, but I feel like this new album sounds like a bunch of b-sides from Stadium arcadium. And I am one of these rare fans that loved almost all of S.A.

I've listened to the new album 3 times, and it just doesnt have balls. But I intend on giving it a few more spins because things sometimes grow on me slowly.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    ilockyerilockyer Posts: 2,236

He is insanely good. I don't have anything to add about RHCP.
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjX2lk17uiw
    Enjoy. The world I love, the trains IHOP.

Well said youngster. The chili peppers are Flea, Anthony, John and Will Ferrell. Klinger will probably play this tour and maybe one more album-tour cycle, then John's coming back in 2014.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    i talked to my sister about this when the album first came out and we agreed that something was definately missing without frusciante..... not that the album is bad but it just doesn't sound like the chili peppers
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    The chili peppers are Flea, Anthony, John and Will Ferrell.

:lol:

I thought we'd get confirmation in the Movie Stepbrothers that they are the same person...but nope, he just teabagged a drumset.. :D
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    100% agree.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Not big on RHCP, but I do love Mother's Milk, BSSM, and Californiacation.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Check out By the Way. youngster was saying last weekend that BTW is better than Californication. I totally agree.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    As much love as I have for RHCP, I have to agree that they are just not the same without John....Anyone ever seen RHCP live @ Slane Castle in Ireland? This is RHCP at their finest, Frusciante is just mind blowing!! :shock:
  • Options
    I think im with you is their best album since californication... I honestly miss his backing vocals more than his guitar style... What do i know though
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Check out By the Way. youngster was saying last weekend that BTW is better than Californication. I totally agree.
    Might have to check that one out. I've heard the song, By the Way (no pun intended).
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    Might have to check that one out. I've heard the song, By the Way (no pun intended).

Yeah dude, you HAVE to check that album out. So many great songs that could have been hits. I think Dosed might be my favorite Chili's song of all time and it's on there. Zephyr song, This is the Place, Cabron, and Venice Queen are all phenomenal songs. And that doesn't count the actual hits of By the Way, Universally Speaking, and Can't Stop. I used to be all about Californication and that is a great album, but recently this album sticks out to me and the reason is because of Frusciante. Kiedis' lyrics have always been unique and Flea's low end is signature, but without Frusciante's masterful guitar playing and awesome backing vocals the Chilis are are just a team without their best player on the field.

• Options
    I was listening to BSSM tonight and forgot how terrific of a song "I Could Have Lied" was. Beautiful solo by John.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    I was listening to BSSM tonight and forgot how terrific of a song "I Could Have Lied" was. Beautiful solo by John.
    GREAT song, that solo is so emotional.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    GREAT song, that solo is so emotional.
    Definitely. He makes you feel the pain.
  • Options
    tinkerbelltinkerbell New Zealand Posts: 2,161
    shoug772 wrote:
    As much love as I have for RHCP, I have to agree that they are just not the same without John....Anyone ever seen RHCP live @ Slane Castle in Ireland? This is RHCP at their finest, Frusciante is just mind blowing!! :shock:

This is my go to DVD when theres nothing on tv! John was on fire that night!!! By the Way is my favourite album by them, not a single song I would skip. Love Dosed and Venice Queen and Can't Stop and Don't Forget Me and..... well all of them really :)

I'm With You is good but to me its not great (apart from Brendan's Death Song)
    all you need is love, love is all you need
  • Options
    OlivavuOlivavu England Posts: 1,683