SOCCER NOW 3RD MOST ATTENDED SPORT IN USA

2»

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,558

right. and the mls is 3rd in average attendance behind the nfl and mlb. :lol:

I've been to a few MLS games (on account of a friend who is a soccer nut), a majority of the crowd are kids soccer coaches with their entire teams (most of whom look completely un-interested) because MLS practically gives tickets away (at least around here) because there's no demand for them. I can go to an FC Dallas game for cheaper than it costs to see a movie. And there were nowhere near 17 thousand people at any game I went to. I've been to high school football games with bigger crowds. I think average attendance ranking is a pretty useless way to rank sports when 2 of the top 4 sports in popularity play in venues that are intentionally smaller. You could say that an MLS game draws more people than a Pearl Jam concert at Madison Square Garden, that just means it is all that MSG will hold.

If you look at overall attendance, MLS is 15 and 16 million less than the NHL and NBA respectively. Those leagues play more games, but that also counts to the lower average attendance as they are marathon seasons. Well, so is MLB for that matter. But with an average attendance of around 17 thousand people for game, the NBA and NHL are really only 1-2 thousand people shy of selling out most arenas every night, in a season 3 times longer than the MLS season. And these are people paying a significantly higher ticket price.

the nba and nhl play about 50 more games a year than mls teams. :?

i am by no means a big soccer guy at all. played it through high school and that was that. but i think this is a significant step in the sports arc towards main stream in this country. i don't know about dallas but the philadelphia team sells out every game. place holds 18,500. i'm a huge sixers fan but they average about 12,000 a game. soccer is by no means more popular than basketball. but it shows that the sport is gaining more momentum now than it ever has. all union games will be broadcast on one of the main sports radio stations here beginning next year too. these kinds of things were unthinkable around here 10 years ago.
    www.myspace.com
    imalive wrote:
    I only watch it to see the ridiculous floppers.

you're a ridiculous flopper.

POW!
    www.myspace.com
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,941
    imalive wrote:

POW!
    ouch.

I actually watched a little of LA vs. NY two nights ago....beckham gets kicked...red card comes out....donovan makes a ridiculously easy PK and....at 2-1, we say "fuck it; it's over." that's why soccer sucks.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399

Yes, that's why I was saying that it has an effect on average attendance at NBA and NHL games, a marathon season is going to see interest spread out across a longer season. The only exception to that would be MLB, but baseball in America is another monster all together.

I'm not questioning you guys have good attendance, but this article I'm reading, written in October, says your team has 10 sellouts since 2008. Maybe they aren't counting artificial sellouts, which MLS is prone to doing. To be fair, Mark Cuban is prone to doing that for the Mavericks as well.

I know you're not saying soccer is more popular, I just think this story is kind of a reach and putting too many conditions in to make it sound better. After all, "MLS continues to be unpopular" isn't nearly as interesting a story as saying that it's surpassing other sports. For the past 15 years I've been hearing about how soccer is on the rise, but it has never stopped being a niche sport. Every time there is a World Cup it's supposed to raise soccer in this country, when Beckham came over it was supposed to put it in the public eye, it never does though.

And I'm not saying this as somebody who dislikes soccer. I played it growing up as well, and I enjoy watching it in moderation, but I'm just trying to be real.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
    edited November 2011

I know you're not saying soccer is more popular, I just think this story is kind of a reach and putting too many conditions in to make it sound better. After all, "MLS continues to be unpopular" isn't nearly as interesting a story as saying that it's surpassing other sports. For the past 15 years I've been hearing about how soccer is on the rise, but it has never stopped being a niche sport. Every time there is a World Cup it's supposed to raise soccer in this country, when Beckham came over it was supposed to put it in the public eye, it never does though.

i'd say averaging higher attendance than the nba and nhl means it's on the rise. of course it's a niche sport. the fucking nhl is a niche sport in my opinion. but it's gaining in popularity though as these numbers have shown.

and the union have only been around since last year, not 2008. to average over 18,000 fans a game in their first two years is pretty fucking impressive...especially considering where that stadium is located. there have been plenty of years when the phillies averaged about that same amount.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
    imalive wrote:
    imalive wrote:

POW!
    ouch.

I actually watched a little of LA vs. NY two nights ago....beckham gets kicked...red card comes out....donovan makes a ridiculously easy PK and....at 2-1, we say "fuck it; it's over." that's why soccer sucks.

how about the aggregate scoring for the playoffs? what a bunch of nonsense that is too
    www.myspace.com
  • EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    Watch out for the MLL. Now there's a real league.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • This really is a misleading story. Why don't they talk about the percent to capacity of the venues these sports are played in? MLS games are played in football stadiums that usually are at least twice the size of NHL and NBA arenas. They could play at 50% capacity and still draw more fans than an NHL game at 100%.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,812
    This really is a misleading story. Why don't they talk about the percent to capacity of the venues these sports are played in? MLS games are played in football stadiums that usually are at least twice the size of NHL and NBA arenas. They could play at 50% capacity and still draw more fans than an NHL game at 100%.

actually most hold about the same as an NHL or NBA arena.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ma ... r_stadiums
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • I thought it was Rodeo.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    This really is a misleading story. Why don't they talk about the percent to capacity of the venues these sports are played in? MLS games are played in football stadiums that usually are at least twice the size of NHL and NBA arenas. They could play at 50% capacity and still draw more fans than an NHL game at 100%.

he was probably thinking of years ago when the league started and teams didn't have their own places yet.
    www.myspace.com
  • This really is a misleading story. Why don't they talk about the percent to capacity of the venues these sports are played in? MLS games are played in football stadiums that usually are at least twice the size of NHL and NBA arenas. They could play at 50% capacity and still draw more fans than an NHL game at 100%.

My apologies. The only venues I knew about were the ones in DC and Seattle which are or were NFL stadiums and I just assumed that was the norm.
  • Isn't the big reason for the MLS increase in average attendance because the Seattle team averages something crazy like 40-50K per game?
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,432
    totally misleading subject line. it is not the 3rd most attended but the 3rd highest average. big difference. NBA has more teams and more games and more fans who don't attend the games but are still fans. here if Philly yes the Union get 19,000 every home game but they probably still only have about 25,000 fans - it's just they all go to the games. Sixers have way more fans but who the heck wants to pay $80 a ticket for a mid-level team in a boring league (and basketball is by far my favorite sport but the league is horribly boring). it's not close in number of fans of Sixers vs. Union.

that being said MLS has done a great job marketing their game. fan friendly stadiums that are the perfect size and a pretty good atmosphere at the games. as long as the MLS stays on course and doesn't try to get too big too quick it can and will gain a market but they need to let it grow slowly. one of the biggest issues is the level of play is pretty mediocre compared to the rest of the world. i am not a fan of soccer but i've seen some of the European games and the level of skill and play in those games is astronomically better than the MLS. in the long run how do you make up for that disparity in the US?
    pjhawks wrote:
    totally misleading subject line. it is not the 3rd most attended but the 3rd highest average. big difference. NBA has more teams and more games and more fans who don't attend the games but are still fans. here if Philly yes the Union get 19,000 every home game but they probably still only have about 25,000 fans - it's just they all go to the games. Sixers have way more fans but who the heck wants to pay $80 a ticket for a mid-level team in a boring league (and basketball is by far my favorite sport but the league is horribly boring). it's not close in number of fans of Sixers vs. Union.

that being said MLS has done a great job marketing their game. fan friendly stadiums that are the perfect size and a pretty good atmosphere at the games. as long as the MLS stays on course and doesn't try to get too big too quick it can and will gain a market but they need to let it grow slowly. one of the biggest issues is the level of play is pretty mediocre compared to the rest of the world. i am not a fan of soccer but i've seen some of the European games and the level of skill and play in those games is astronomically better than the MLS. in the long run how do you make up for that disparity in the US?

i made the subject line misleading on purpose. :mrgreen:

all of what you say is true, still, i'm surprised at the popularity they've built up in only 2 years.
    www.myspace.com
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,941

how about the aggregate scoring for the playoffs? what a bunch of nonsense that is too
    so, I wake up to find real (ree-al :lol: ) salt lake was eliminated last night. the first round is two games (aggregate score) and the second is one game :wtf: . seems a little ass backward to me :?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    imalive wrote:

so, I wake up to find real (ree-al :lol: ) salt lake was eliminated last night. the first round is two games (aggregate score) and the second is one game :wtf: . seems a little ass backward to me :?

it is soccer
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    have to say that the Philly Union stadium is a great place to see a game. New stadium, easy to get to (although parking is a bit odd). Any seat is great, non are too far from field. Nice atmosphere there, more family oriented which I like. And it is not expensive, from their website, you can get tickets from season ticket holders up to the last minute. I took two of my sons to see a game last fall and I think it was cheaper to get 4 tickets in the corner than 3 on the sidelines.

There is no way I would go to an Eagle's game, I do not enjoy fearing for my life or having my kids exposed to that drunken mob.
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    pjhawks wrote:

You cant make up for it..in europe all the athletes play soccer since it is most popular and thats were the $$ is at..or basketball as of late. In the us all the kids play soccer until they grow up and turn to football or baseball since that is were the money is at. I saw so many great soccer players turn turn into meatheads and switch to football.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"