Options

*** Rio de Janeiro Fanviews 12/4 Here

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,924
edited February 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
If you were at the show, please tell us about it here.

Set list: Last Exit, Do The Evolution, Save You, Animal, Insignificance, Interstellar Overdrive/Corduroy, Dissident, Even Flow, Leatherman, Given To Fly, Daughter, Don't Gimme No Lip, Not For You, Small Town, Down, Once, Go

1st encore: Soon Forget, Better Man, I Believe in Miracles, Blood, Kick Out The Jams, Alive
2nd encore: Last Kiss, Black, Jeremy, Yellow Ledbetter, Baba O'Riley
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Rossum20Rossum20 Posts: 910
    yummmmmmmm
  • Options
    remcoremco Posts: 4
    Havent got any time (got to catch my plane), but lemme say this was my most fucking amazing concert ever (even above MSG1 '03 probably). Was in 3rd row and the crowd was so fucking amazing. Also the band was really really into it and having an awesome time. At one point during Black Ed was just staring at the crowd totally stunned. I cant remember a concert where they closed with Yellow Ledbetter, but just HAD to do a song more, because it was so intense. Anyways, maybe later more, gtg now.
  • Options
    GabiGabi Posts: 6
    I can´t believe !!! I went to both concerts at Sao Paulo and they didn´t play this one !!! I´m so, so gealous !!!
  • Options
    MargaMarga Posts: 15
    What a great night! You have to understand that I had been waiting for this for 13 years. With that in mind, picture this:
    The lights went out and 40,000 people started to scream.
    Pearl Jam was on the stage.
    The first three songs: Last Exit, Do the evolution and Go. Everyone was jumping up and down. Then, before the fourth song. Eddie said: "Hello Rio!!! This is our last concert in Brazil and we will try to make it our best. Some people need help near the stage." The crowd was going too wild. Asked us if it was ok to wait a little. He said "Is this the place where Carnaval takes place in Rio?" Yes, said the crowd. "Then, tonight rock will take down this stage. Take care of each other, please." And then, started to play Save you.
    Other great moments were:
    Not for you - Eddie change the lyrics againd "small my table, sets all of you, got so crowded, join right in" and Animal.
    Soon forget - Eddie solo, said he hadn´t tried this yet in the South American Tour.
    Of course the crowd went wild when they played Daughter, Black, Once, Alive, Elderly woman, Better man, and of course, Jeremy... They even played Last Kiss, so they could hear us sign along. Not even Last Kiss ruined a perfect evening. Eddie said: "You are beautiful".
    They were amazed with the energy of the crowd and Eddie looked delirious during Blacks tururu tururu ..... The crowd wouldn't stop singing.
    We even heard Stone sing "Don´t gimme no lip"!!!
    After Ledbetter we all thought the concert was over, but Eddie just stood there, looking at the crowd and smiling. The rest of the band came back and they played Baba O"Rilley. Eddie: "My phone number is in the back of your tickets. Give me a call if your are ever in Seattle." He said they would be back and they do, the world will be better becaus George Bush will no longer be president of the USA.
    Eddie even stage dived! I couldn´t believe it.
    I don´t live in Rio and went ther just to see Pearl Jam. Best concert of my live. It was worth the money, the waiting and even being away from my 18 month old daughter... Thanks!
    12/4/05 - Rio de Janeiro
    9/9/06 - Marseille
    9/11/06 - Paris
    I always wanted to go to Rio... like a picture in a sunny day... (EV)
  • Options
    I went to both concerts at Sao Paulo and I went to the concert at Rio last night too. I don't know which of the concerts was better but last night was really really magic. Mike was very nice in his performance. I can't forget the 40.000 voices singing togheter while Eddie danced slowly with the eyes closed. In a moment they had jumped at the same time as they ususally did in the start of the career. The set list was really great and it had an intense tunning between the band and the Brazilians. I think that the latin american tour was a renewal of energy for the band because it was the first time, the first contact and and both, the band and the public, tried to do it very special. Eddie spoke in portuguese trying to be more close to us! He told us that next time they will play here in Brazil, the world will be better because G.W.Bush will not be the president of U.S.A anymore. Now, there is more a reason to hope that Bush disappears :).
  • Options
    Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    That's as close to a Rearview Mirror set as I think you're gonna get.
  • Options
    Marga wrote:
    Eddie even stage dived! I couldn´t believe it.
    ... Thanks!

Any pictures...please is it possible to describe, was he high, a long dive? Anyway, I'm glad for you guys...
    " We have a president that ain't as courageous as this guy. Maybe he should cut his fuckin head off and then he'll be recognized as a good man!" - Eddie - Montreal June 29, 2003

06/29/2003
    15/09/2005
    16/09/2005
    20/09/2005
    24/05/2006
    27/06/2008
    28/06/2008
    30/06/2008
  • Options
    It was an amazing night!
    Maybe Eddie got his 27 years again yesteday.
    I live in Rio, I was thinking that the band would be tired after 4 shows, night after night, but when he said "we'll try to make it our best" the hope grows in all of our hearts.
    I don't have more to tell than other friends told here, but one day, when a have a child, I will tell about this night.
    Thank you Eddie, Stone, Matt, Mike and Jeff!
    It was really magic.
  • Options
    Marga wrote:

After Ledbetter we all thought the concert was over, but Eddie just stood there, looking at the crowd and smiling. The rest of the band came back and they played Baba O"Rilley. Eddie: "My phone number is in the back of your tickets. Give me a call if your are ever in Seattle." He said they would be back and they do, the world will be better becaus George Bush will no longer be president of the USA.
    Eddie even stage dived! I couldn´t believe it..

Eddie even stage dived!??? :eek: OMG, it's '92. all over again!!! :eek:
    Yeah, now it all makes sense: new album (vs. style) , stage diving, yeah, the boys are having a blast and they're not old at all. :D
    I knew it, it's old school PJ. The early years, grunge style. :)

I'm so happy for you guys. And for all of us, this record's gonna ROCK!
    Glad you have a great time. And post some pics, please. :D

Haha, the comment about calling him if you're ever in Seattle...I love it. :)
    I wish... hehe :p
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
  • Options
    I thought I'd write this today, December 5th, cause I believe there are a lot of people 'round the world who have been through a similar feeling.

Long story short.
    Rio de Janeiro, 1994. I was 11. That was when my father introduced me to a PJ tape he had. If I close my eyes, I can still see what it had written on it with my father's terrible, terrible handwriting:

Once
    Even Flow
    Alive
    Black
    Jeremy
    Oceans
    Release

That was when it started... A couple of months later, I got straight A's in school and my grandma wanted to treat me with a CD - which was an excellent present, since only a few people in Brazil had CDs at that time. I went to the store and got "Ten". About 6 months later, same story. "VS". And that went on and on...
    A couple of years later, my teenage years were marked by rock bands, Eddie Vedder posters on my bedroom walls (for being a 13-year-old girl who also saw Eddie as her sex symbol), Ten Club, http://www.fivehorizons.com, and so on..
    Every couple of months, a Brazilian website would confirm tour dates in Brazil. I bought it the first 5 or 6 times - my heart was broken.
    More years went by, the fanatism slowly went away. You don't have so much time to look for stuff on the net, to search for rarities, my grandma stopped treating me with such great presents, your room needs to be decorated with "more your age" stuff and you can't wear all stars and old jeans to get a job.
    That is what I call the maintenance phase. You still buy every new CD that is released, every now and then you enter the official website to see what's new, have your favorite PJ CDs on your case at work and still bang your head when listening to 'Alive' on the radio. Fair enough, I've always considered PJ my all-time favorite band.
    About 4 months ago, I read a small note on the newspaper saying the official PJ website was giving hints about some latin american tour. My first thought was "oh, not again". When I heard the Brazilian tune, I'm pretty sure my heart stopped beating for a while.
    I spent the following 4 months revisiting my teenage years (I'm 22 now), listening over and over to all my 18 CDs, and having chills while listening or watching a live performance.
    And this last weekend, I had the unbelievable opportunity to watch 2 concerts.
    The first one in SP and the second one, yesterday, at home, Rio.
    I will not review them. After the concert in SP, I tried to express how great it felt but I just couldn't. But it all hit me yesterday, crying my eyes out right next to my father (of course he had to be there) as I watched and listened to Eddie summing it all up in a few verses:

I just wanna scream: Hello!
    My God, it's been too long, never dream you'd return
    But now here you are, and here I am
    Hearts and thoughts, they fade away

You know what, I beg to differ on that one - I don't think they fade away. Not at all!

I hope all had a great time just like I did! Thanks for making a kid-teenage-adult dream come true!

Lots of love,

Ana
  • Options
    There is no way to describe how i felt yesterday. It was perfect. 40,000 hitting the air with small punches, everyone singing and jumping together. When he stage dived i couldn`t believe my eyes. I actually feared for him cause everyone went berserk when he did that. I was at the first row and he hold my hand while running in front of the stage. I cried! Lol...

that show was freaking awesome!
  • Options
    1vs51vs5 Posts: 289
    wow, thx so much for sharing...all of you.
    i'm glad it was everything you hoped for.
  • Options
    I thought I'd write this today, December 5th, cause I believe there are a lot of people 'round the world who have been through a similar feeling.

Long story short.
    Rio de Janeiro, 1994. I was 11. That was when my father introduced me to a PJ tape he had. If I close my eyes, I can still see what it had written on it with my father's terrible, terrible handwriting:

Once
    Even Flow
    Alive
    Black
    Jeremy
    Oceans
    Release

That was when it started... A couple of months later, I got straight A's in school and my grandma wanted to treat me with a CD - which was an excellent present, since only a few people in Brazil had CDs at that time. I went to the store and got "Ten". About 6 months later, same story. "VS". And that went on and on...
    A couple of years later, my teenage years were marked by rock bands, Eddie Vedder posters on my bedroom walls (for being a 13-year-old girl who also saw Eddie as her sex symbol), Ten Club, http://www.fivehorizons.com, and so on..
    Every couple of months, a Brazilian website would confirm tour dates in Brazil. I bought it the first 5 or 6 times - my heart was broken.
    More years went by, the fanatism slowly went away. You don't have so much time to look for stuff on the net, to search for rarities, my grandma stopped treating me with such great presents, your room needs to be decorated with "more your age" stuff and you can't wear all stars and old jeans to get a job.
    That is what I call the maintenance phase. You still buy every new CD that is released, every now and then you enter the official website to see what's new, have your favorite PJ CDs on your case at work and still bang your head when listening to 'Alive' on the radio. Fair enough, I've always considered PJ my all-time favorite band.
    About 4 months ago, I read a small note on the newspaper saying the official PJ website was giving hints about some latin american tour. My first thought was "oh, not again". When I heard the Brazilian tune, I'm pretty sure my heart stopped beating for a while.
    I spent the following 4 months revisiting my teenage years (I'm 22 now), listening over and over to all my 18 CDs, and having chills while listening or watching a live performance.
    And this last weekend, I had the unbelievable opportunity to watch 2 concerts.
    The first one in SP and the second one, yesterday, at home, Rio.
    I will not review them. After the concert in SP, I tried to express how great it felt but I just couldn't. But it all hit me yesterday, crying my eyes out right next to my father (of course he had to be there) as I watched and listened to Eddie summing it all up in a few verses:

I just wanna scream: Hello!
    My God, it's been too long, never dream you'd return
    But now here you are, and here I am
    Hearts and thoughts, they fade away

You know what, I beg to differ on that one - I don't think they fade away. Not at all!

I hope all had a great time just like I did! Thanks for making a kid-teenage-adult dream come true!

Lots of love,

Ana

Great Story! I can't wait for Monterrey!
    "every show is a great show. bitches...." --twolegsyield
  • Options
    any info on this "stage dive"? was it him kinda leaning on the crowd or did he actually jump/dive?
  • Options
    Come on folks, we need stage-dive info!
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    I've read several of your posts and I can surely say that the LatinAmerican Tour has been so successfull that Pearl Jam will return sooner. I went to their first show in Chile and it blew my head off.
    There was so much energy in the band and in the audience for so many years of waiting. And I think the band received that energy, feeling themselves as a powerfull band, that lives with the people.
    And as it happened in Argentina and Brasil as well, we are hungry for rock and good music. A conxiously and heartbreaking music that is buiilt through anger.
    Happy for me. Happy for us. Happy for you.
    uno, dos, tres, catorce
  • Options
    Just a quick review, cause I got plenty of stuff to do... wish I could write longer...

Since the beginning I was carrying a sign that said "Been to 13 shows, never heard Oceans".... and then, when they play Black, Eddie says the word "Oceans"... and later, after saying tattooed everything, he says "I´m sorry", looking at me... This was one of the most special moments in my life...

Later, close to the finish... YLB... we (restless souls fan club) shake our flag (we had signed it all) to him and he asks Jake (security guy) to get it for him... he sees that the flag is signed... and reads that (as you can see in the 10C pic)... then he says he´s going to keep our flag at his home...

I CRIED A RIVER.... THIS WAS THE BEST SHOW IN MY LIFE... (Been to 9 in US 2003 and all 5 in Brasil)...

I´ll try to write a complete review of each show as soon as I find myself some time...
    ...We´re faithful, we all believe, we all believe...
  • Options
    The concert sounds great, but I want a review of the stage dive.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Options
    It wasn´t really a stage dive... He just get off the stage and ran between the fences that were holding us back... He touched some fans hands... and then went back to the stage... 3 friends of mine were lucky to be amongst them...

Pure energy... Pure love... That what this show was!!!!!!!!!!
    ...We´re faithful, we all believe, we all believe...
  • Options
    So I made it to the show and back....very interesting.
    10C hook up was...interesting. It took about one hour to prove that Jim and James are the same name to the person working the list...but anyway. I didn't get in early, after the gates holding people back were pushed open a mad rush for the stage began. I experienced something that I would relate to running with the bulls. I haven't really done that but this experience, I am sure, is similar. You run because you are afraid that if you stop, the others will not. Did I say this was about 4 or 5 hrs before the show!
    Anyway, I get in and quickly realize being up front may not be recommended. During the show there looked to be an intense mosh pit as well as a lot of pushing, some folks seemed to get hurt in the beginning. I am used to being close to the front in the US so I decide to take it all in from above and sit up on the side of this stadium that can best be described as a high school bleacher style stadium on crack! The whole thing is about 400 yards long with bleachers on each side (for Carnival) but the show was at then end of the 400 yards where all the Samba dancers end up....or so I am told.
    Anyway, after sitting in the sun I found myself next to some of the other 10C fans...no English but I could feel the love. They were a Brazilian based club "restless souls" and visibly excited to be there totally into PJ. As this place filled up (and I mean filled up) there were more Pearl Jam articles of clothing than can imagine. Shirts about albums, songs, band members, etc. as well as a bunch of tattoo’s. Mudhoney did their thing then band came out.
    I have been to a bunch of PJ shows all around North America and maybe I don't usually see the crowd behind me but this was amazing. When Last Exit got rolling this place exploded! I was blown away these fans are intense! Maybe we (Americans) are spoiled rotten getting to see this band every other year or so. These guys haven't seen them in years and years and shit they had tattoo’s and hand made shirts. Know most of the words in a language they don't really understand (except Leatherman but come on...).
    It was emotional to see this crowd react to Evenflow, a song I feel is somewhat overplayed live. After this I won't.
    Brazil loves this band...sitting in my hotel room they are talking about it on MTV Brazil. I have no idea about what they are saying but this country loves Pearl Jam and that should be applauded and celebrated. I am glad I was able to see this show and how intense the crowd was.
    I hope Pearl Jam makes it back to this part of the world, they are surely loved.
  • Options
    Pearl_Ju wrote:
    It wasn´t really a stage dive... He just get off the stage and ran between the fences that were holding us back... He touched some fans hands... and then went back to the stage... 3 friends of mine were lucky to be amongst them...

Pure energy... Pure love... That what this show was!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome! Sounds like a wicked show!

I am very happy for all you guys.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Options
    Could anybody upload somewhere the labels and covers from Rio show??

Thanks
  • Options
    jfconnorjr wrote:
    10C hook up was...interesting. It took about one hour to prove that Jim and James are the same name to the person working the list...but anyway. I didn't get in early, after the gates holding people back were pushed open a mad rush for the stage began. I experienced something that I would relate to running with the bulls. I haven't really done that but this experience, I am sure, is similar. You run because you are afraid that if you stop, the others will not. Did I say this was about 4 or 5 hrs before the show!
    Anyway, I get in and quickly realize being up front may not be recommended. During the show there looked to be an intense mosh pit as well as a lot of pushing, some folks seemed to get hurt in the beginning. I am used to being close to the front in the US so I decide to take it all in from above and sit up on the side of this stadium that can best be described as a high school bleacher style stadium on crack! The whole thing is about 400 yards long with bleachers on each side (for Carnival) but the show was at then end of the 400 yards where all the Samba dancers end up....or so I am told.
    Anyway, after sitting in the sun I found myself next to some of the other 10C fans...no English but I could feel the love. They were a Brazilian based club "restless souls" and visibly excited to be there totally into PJ. As this place filled up (and I mean filled up) there were more Pearl Jam articles of clothing than can imagine. Shirts about albums, songs, band members, etc. as well as a bunch of tattoo’s. Mudhoney did their thing then band came out.
    I have been to a bunch of PJ shows all around North America and maybe I don't usually see the crowd behind me but this was amazing. When Last Exit got rolling this place exploded! I was blown away these fans are intense! Maybe we (Americans) are spoiled rotten getting to see this band every other year or so. These guys haven't seen them in years and years and shit they had tattoo’s and hand made shirts. Know most of the words in a language they don't really understand (except Leatherman but come on...).
    It was emotional to see this crowd react to Evenflow, a song I feel is somewhat overplayed live. After this I won't.
    Brazil loves this band...sitting in my hotel room they are talking about it on MTV Brazil. I have no idea about what they are saying but this country loves Pearl Jam and that should be applauded and celebrated. I am glad I was able to see this show and how intense the crowd was.
    I hope Pearl Jam makes it back to this part of the world, they are surely loved.

Thank you very much for this great review! It means a lot for us Brazilians. Thank you thank you thank you!

Feel free to come back and visit Sao Paulo! :)
  • Options
    What was the song they were playing where Stone is on drums, Matt on bass andJeff on guitar?
    I will feel....alive....as long as I'm freeeeeeee...
  • Options
    The song was Yellow Ledbetter.... Eddie was introducing the band members, he said: On the guitar Mike McCready, on the drums Matt, oh... on the drums Stone Gossard! ...
    Pearl_Ju wrote:
    Since the beginning I was carrying a sign that said "Been to 13 shows, never heard Oceans".... and then, when they play Black, Eddie says the word "Oceans"... and later, after saying tattooed everything, he says "I´m sorry", looking at me... This was one of the most special moments in my life...

I had a similar moment. In between two songs when the lights were on the audience, me and my friend lifted our sign with "All Those Yesterdays"... eddie looked at us, made a face like he was making an effort to read, then he openned his arms in a way of saying "sorry, I can't".... don't know if he couldn't read, or if he read and couldn't play, but either way... I was happy.

To the ones that went to the show, I can't remember which song was that McCready did a solo with the guitar behind his head. Can u?

To the ones that didn't go... Mike was INSANE! He played like in the early 90's!

And I just loved the lil song they made for Rio... the lyrics were:

"I always wanted to go to Rio... my whole life...like a picture on a sunny day, oh my...whole life... like a picture..."

Best show ever!
  • Options
    What a wonderful 2,5 hours I had in Rio last sunday evening. It all starts by a crowd that is so anxious for this long awaited concert - they stand there and the sight reminds me of ants. When Eddie Vedder comes in, whilst the moon crowns a pretty night in Rio de Janeiro, it's like a dream coming true for all those "ants". I could listen to their voices and watch their hands punching the air, in a cathartic welcome.
    The most amazing thing about this concert was the dialog the band estabelished with the audience - it was a long chat about our (what?) fifteen years relationship, where songs were sang along, hands would dance in a seemfully rehearsed coreography and I, well, at least I got touched by each of their tones and tunes and lyrics.
    When I came out - on a natural (ok, ok, also artificial) high - it seemed like I was coming back from a holiday to a daily routine, a little lost and planning a similar journey on the future. Is Pearl Jam ever coming back? I ask myself in a hopeless belief that this will happen in one year or so...
  • Options
    Guys, i went to the show and it was the best show EVER in my life.
    I went to Ozzy, Metallica, Iron, but this one... was ... i dont have words to describe... i would like to share a pic with u all, i saw it happening.(I didnt take this picture...)

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/8692/img1149filtered8ba.jpg

the momment that he turned his back to the crowd, and started to open his army (slowly) was too f*cking long...

i am leaving to work now.. i will be writing again.

Tks PJ... only what? 15 years of waiting , and it was PERFECT !
  • Options
    jfconnorjr wrote:

Thank you for the great review! Glad you enjoyed the concert and hope you come back here for the next ones :))
  • Options
    I went to curitiba,sao paulo and finally back to my city,Rio to see the last concert.I must say that it was the best of these 3.Curitiba was awesome too,the place that the concert was played in was so beatiful,never been there before.Ive met lots of people from every part of the country.
    In Rio,I enjoyed the concert almost alone,cuz it was sooo crowded,I lost my friends during it!
    Seeing Ed Vedder holding our flag to his chest was sth...
    "see you next year"! We really hope so!!!

Later!
  • Options
    I went to curitiba,sao paulo and finally back to my city,Rio to see the last concert.I must say that it was the best of these 3.Curitiba was awesome too,the place that the concert was played in was so beatiful,never been there before.Ive met lots of people from every part of the country.
    In Rio,I enjoyed the concert almost alone,cuz it was sooo crowded,I lost my friends during it!
    Seeing Ed Vedder holding our flag to his chest was sth...
    "see you next year"! We really hope so!!!

Later!

Same thing happened to me!!! During the first song, it was such a freaking mess, people pushing around like crazy, I got lost too.. By the way, people were too violent. I bet that these people weren't even fans, they just wanted to cause a commotion...

After a couple of more songs in the middle of crowd with people punching and kicking around me I decided to step away and see the concert from the side seats...
    The only good part of the pushing part was that I got to see Mike from a VERY close distance.. but for, like, 5 seconds after they pushed me back...
    :)