Favorite Men's cologne

AyedavanitaAyedavanita Posts: 1,443
edited April 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Ladies and gentlemen...what is your favorite?
I'm looking for a teenage nephew who wears axe now so I'd like to keep it in the lower end of the price range but what smells grrrreat???
"You think I got my eyes closed but I'm lookin' at you the whole fuckin' time..."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Something sporty like Lacoste, I have Lacoste red and it's fresh and fruity, gets lots of compliments. In fact the reason I bought it is because it is really similar to an old variant of Lynx (what Axe is called in the UK) which got discontinued.

As for my favourite, it changes all the time, but at the moment I can't get enough of Lolita Lempicka's Au Masculin - it's a sweet smelling mix of aniseed, vanilla and cedar, probably not to everyone's tastes but it's pretty unique and it's really reasonably priced.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I personally don't think you should buy anyone cologne. It's entirely a personal thing.

Also, explain to him the importance of being a cologne minimalist. You don't want to be THAT guy! :)
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    bacon grease. Chicks seem to like that.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,823
    hermes equipage

trust.
  • sex_panther01.gif
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,659
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    CK One Shock for men. warning: a little goes a very long way.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    I have no idea what co log me I have just as long as it smells better than my deordorant.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    What's low end? Like Aqua Velva or Jovan Musk? :D

I like Versace Pour Homme
    It's like $50 online.
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Au Natural
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    aqua di gio

love it on a man.
  • Givenchy - Pi

The few times a year I do wear cologne, this is usually what I'll put on. Have been for about eight or nine years now. Seem to get more compliments from the people I'm with more than anything else I've ever used for scent.

122502.jpg
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    Do they still make Drakkar Noir? Cool Water? Polo Sport? I haven't worn cologne in years, but those were pretty kickass.

and to echo mca47's sentiments: a little goes a long way.
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    sheila0225 wrote:
    aqua di gio

love it on a man.

just bought that recently
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I was just behind an old guy at Starbucks who was COVERED in the nastiest musky cologne. It was horrible and a bit nauseating.
    I don't get how older people don't realize how bad their cologne/perfume smells. I was also just on a plane with an old lady who was covered in stinky old-lady perfume.

As they get older, does their sense of smell diminish so they think they need more of it?
    Why do they choose the most horrible scents to wear? Was that smell seen by people back in the day as pleasant? I mean, are certain smells generational? Would a seemingly pleasant cologne or perfume now be considered pleasant back in the 50s? Clearly their perfumes are not welcome now, and they are the only ones who don't realize it.
    mca47 wrote:
    I was just behind an old guy at Starbucks who was COVERED in the nastiest musky cologne. It was horrible and a bit nauseating.
    I don't get how older people don't realize how bad their cologne/perfume smells. I was also just on a plane with an old lady who was covered in stinky old-lady perfume.

As they get older, does their sense of smell diminish so they think they need more of it?
    Why do they choose the most horrible scents to wear? Was that smell seen by people back in the day as pleasant? I mean, are certain smells generational? Would a seemingly pleasant cologne or perfume now be considered pleasant back in the 50s? Clearly their perfumes are not welcome now, and they are the only ones who don't realize it.

I"m with you on the stinky old lady perfume. I went to a movie over the weekend and holy hell! I swear the old ladies take a bath in the stuff. It was so nauseating that I had to leave the movie halfway through. :|
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    My wife says she goes apeshit for Aspen, I'm not a cologne kind of guy but wear it for her.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,823
    mca47 wrote:

Colognes go bad after a certain time, most likely you encountered a combination of BO and stale jovan musk.
    Real perfumes can last a long time though.
  • DollarDollar Posts: 242
    Polo Black (or Polo Sport)
    Playboy Malibu.
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    JTH wrote:
    Do they still make Drakkar Noir? Cool Water? Polo Sport? I haven't worn cologne in years, but those were pretty kickass.

and to echo mca47's sentiments: a little goes a long way.

Oh wow, I totally forgot about Cool Water! Loved it when I was younger...
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,789
    Jean Paul gaultier

He's gonna need a fly swatter ;)
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    Ivory soap and Degree deodorant
  • curlycurly Posts: 703
    Polo Blue !!! I get so so so many compl on it....but i am 39 and its prolly not for the teenage...
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    I've been wearing Kenneth Cole Reaction for a few years. 60316M.jpg
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    sheila0225 wrote:
    aqua di gio

love it on a man.
    This is what he asked for but I'm not sure I want to spend that much.

WOW!!! Thanks for the great response everyone! I'll write them all down and go sniffing to see which I best, minus the sex panther lol. He is pretty good about wearing VERY little already and I'll bet he smells like bacon most days hahahaha, he loves that stuff. Thanks again for all the great suggestions!
    "You think I got my eyes closed but I'm lookin' at you the whole fuckin' time..."
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Calvin Klein Obsession.
  • Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    sheila0225 wrote:
    aqua di gio

love it on a man.

I'm SO with you on that!

When I was younger I also liked when guys wore Abercrombie's Fierce

And David Beckham's cologne smells reallllly good too.
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    sheila0225 wrote:
    aqua di gio

love it on a man.

I agree. And I usually don't like men wearing cologne. Bay Rum too sometimes.

Old lady perfume story - my dentist told me most of his old lady patients pour on the perfume before they come in to see him and it makes him want to throw up.
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,988
    There's a guy I pass at shift change that just loves Old Spice.

I mean LOVES it. Kinda funny we know what crew is working by the smell of the place when we come through the door...

A little goes a long way.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06