Options

Record player question...

MASMAS Posts: 628
edited November 2011 in The Porch
I need to buy a new one, any suggestions? I want a good quality one that comes with speakers....
any advice would be greatly appreciated....thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    MAS wrote:
    a good quality one that comes with speakers....

huh?...like a Fisher-Price one?
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    Gvn2flyGvn2fly Posts: 745
    MAS wrote:
    I need to buy a new one, any suggestions? I want a good quality one that comes with speakers....

There's no such thing.
  • Options
    MAS wrote:

http://www.higherfi.com/ttlist/ttlist.htm

these are of the highest quality.
    Indy 2000
    St. Louis 2000
    Champaign 2003
    Indy 2003
    St. Louis 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Indy 2010
    Hampton 2016
    Lexington 2016
    EV Bourbon and Beyond 2017
    Chicago N1 2018
    Chicago N2 2018
    Nashville 2022
    St Louis 2022
    Oklahoma City 2022
    Denver 2022
    Chicago N1 2023
    Chicago N2 2023
  • Options
    jshinjshin Posts: 1,759
    You mean something like this?
    http://www.amazon.com/Crosley-CR40-Mini ... 10-9033844

I don't know much about turntables with built in speakers.. I do know that a lot of the times the speakers aren't the best... Do lots of research and read lots of reviews.
    I ain't got no fly'n shoes..

• Options
    frazbafrazba Posts: 601
    I've been using a Pioneer turntable for years, never had any problems (except when my 3 year old tried to play a record without a record on it!!!). Never heard of any with built in speakers though, mine is hooked up to a Marantz amp and Jamo speakers. I've never had the amp over 4, it's just too loud, and I live in the country.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Any turntable that comes with attached speakers is garbage. Do not skimpy on either the turntable or the speakers. If so, there's no real point in owning one or playing lp's.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,885
    MAS wrote:

I just ordered 3 of the first one :lol:
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    kato78kato78 Posts: 61
    Rega RP! http://www.rega.co.uk/html/RP1.htm

Look here for components http://www.audiogon.com/ (i got my Peachtree amp and Totem Arro speakers here)
  • Options
    MAS wrote:

Can you believe that?

I googled "most expensive turntables".
    Indy 2000
    St. Louis 2000
    Champaign 2003
    Indy 2003
    St. Louis 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Indy 2010
    Hampton 2016
    Lexington 2016
    Chicago N1 2018
    Chicago N2 2018
    Nashville 2022
    St Louis 2022
    Oklahoma City 2022
    Denver 2022
    Chicago N1 2023
    Chicago N2 2023
  • Options
    MAS wrote:

Is this Amy or Marc?
    Indy 2000
    St. Louis 2000
    Champaign 2003
    Indy 2003
    St. Louis 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Indy 2010
    Hampton 2016
    Lexington 2016
    Chicago N1 2018
    Chicago N2 2018
    Nashville 2022
    St Louis 2022
    Oklahoma City 2022
    Denver 2022
    Chicago N1 2023
    Chicago N2 2023
  • Options
    My wife bought me a Crosley all in one system for 100 bucks about 2 years ago. She was tired of seeing all my Christmas singles going unplayed. That system was a gateway drug to my newfound vinyl addiction. A month ago I bought a vintage 1980 Denon DP-60L with an Ortofon MC20 cartridge. I have it hooked up through a 1980s Technics component system. I'm going to slowly replace all of the components with higher quality entry level audiophile stuff (except the turntable). Listening to vinyl on my system is an experience now and it's like hearing my music for the first time all over again.

I started out by listening to all my Christmas singles. Then I decided I wanted to check out some other records so I went to the Salvation Army and picked a few up. I found an Elvis Blue Christmas album and the thrill of finding a gem like that for 50 cents was just awesome.

When you listen on the Crosley system, it will only leave you wanting more. I'm not advising against it though, it's a great way to see if vinyl is for you. If it is, you're going to be spending some money.
    Tread Lightly.
  • Options
    Now I regret passing over all those Pearl Jam vinyl through the years. If only I would've bought that Benny set instead of the CD... :(
    Tread Lightly.
  • Options
    drewdawgq wrote:
    My wife bought me a Crosley all in one system for 100 bucks about 2 years ago. She was tired of seeing all my Christmas singles going unplayed. That system was a gateway drug to my newfound vinyl addiction. A month ago I bought a vintage 1980 Denon DP-60L with an Ortofon MC20 cartridge. I have it hooked up through a 1980s Technics component system. I'm going to slowly replace all of the components with higher quality entry level audiophile stuff (except the turntable). Listening to vinyl on my system is an experience now and it's like hearing my music for the first time all over again.

I started out by listening to all my Christmas singles. Then I decided I wanted to check out some other records so I went to the Salvation Army and picked a few up. I found an Elvis Blue Christmas album and the thrill of finding a gem like that for 50 cents was just awesome.

When you listen on the Crosley system, it will only leave you wanting more. I'm not advising against it though, it's a great way to see if vinyl is for you. If it is, you're going to be spending some money.

ok, so what do I need to get (in basic simple terms!) to get started...what do you suggest
  • Options
    Turntable, Receiver(preferably with phono inputs) and Speakers.

• Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    what do you guys consider to be the top 5 makes/models to look at?

and no, i'm talking the 1/2 million $ models.

just a good quality model.

thanks

new or used...
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    jshin wrote:

thanks.. do u think All the same brand is the way to go?
  • Options
    1. Technics 1200/1210 turntable - Imo, this is the hands down winner. Its the industry standard and the go to turntable for most Pro dj's. Its what most good clubs use and its what I have. That's not to say that there aren't other good brands out there. They're certainly are but Technics has been at the top of the vinyl game for a long time. Check them out, they're quality.
    2. Decent amp and or receiver preferably with phono outs. Most turntables do not have a built-in amp meaning you need to amplify them to hear the sound. I would look for something by Marrantz, Denon, Pioneer or even Technics again. Look for "Phono out" on the back of the receiver to know.
    3. Good full sounding speakers. There are so many quality speakers out there, you really just have to look and research. I would suggest Paradigm. They're Canadian made and are really nice speakers. They're what I use.. :D
    4. Some good wires and speaker cables. Yes Monster are expensive but if u watch the bay, you can ussually pick them up at less then half of retail or more off. You don't want to go thru the effort of piecing a nice system together and the use lamp chord for speaker wire.

If you have $$, bye all means go to town and buy the best quality for the money that you can. If you don't, take your time and build your set-up with 1 quality piece at a time. That way, when your done you will have a really nice home set-up. It can take time if you do it this way but like any good collection its built 1 piece at a time. The Hunt is often the best part and the pay-off will be years of vinyl enjoyment! Good luck and Happy Hunting. ;)
  • Options
    MAS wrote:
    jshin wrote:

thanks.. do u think All the same brand is the way to go?

You could but it's not something you really have to worry about..Basically it's what ever you feel comfortable with.

• Options
    81 wrote:
    what do you guys consider to be the top 5 makes/models to look at?

and no, i'm talking the 1/2 million $ models.

just a good quality model.

thanks

new or used...

Rega, Pro-Ject, Music Hall, and Denon have some nice entry level turntables... Right now I have a Denon but I really like the basic look of the Rega and Pro-Ject tables, not to mention they are quality brands...If mine weren't a gift I probably would have gone with one of those two.

• Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:

Looks to be in excellent condition and it's a great table...The description says it doesn't come with a cartridge but does it come with the headshell?.. If not that's another $40/$50 plus a new cartridge which you could spend anywhere from $50-$1000 on..I say if you're willing to spend the cash on it then yeah it's worth it.

• Options
    81 wrote:

great price on that
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    81 wrote:
    Technics MK2 owner here. They are the originator of the turntable. Fantastic quality, built like tanks.

There are plenty of mid range high quality audiophile stylus' on the market. I paid $100 for my needle.

Mine is paired with a set of Polk RTi8's.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    The best "entry level" audiophile turntable on the market is the Pro-Ject Debut III. Unless you are going to be a DJ, I would stay away from direct-drive systems and USB systems.
    Tread Lightly.
  • Options
    drewdawgq wrote:
    The best "entry level" audiophile turntable on the market is the Pro-Ject Debut III. Unless you are going to be a DJ, I would stay away from direct-drive systems and USB systems.

most of the ones im looking at have the USB sysyems, does that really matter either way???
  • Options
    i would stay away from the USB ones...
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    pjradio wrote:
    i would stay away from the USB ones...
    how comw?
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165

:shock: :shock: What are they, made of solid gold with a diamond encrusted needle or something?
  • Options
    If you buy a USB turntable you are getting away from the main reason you want a turntable; to listen to music in the same form it was produced; analog. Do a search on the difference between analog and digital sound. There's no debate that analog produces a wider range of frequencies or that all natural sound is analog. An analog/vinyl soundsystem puts you closest to the actual recording of the music. Digital lovers would say that their system sounds better, which can be true if you have a crappy system, dirty or scratched records, improperly set-up table, etc etc. But in the end, the whole reason to buy a turntable is to listen to analog sound, so don't buy a USB table (it converts the sound to digital).

Another pointer for buying a turntable, you want one with a counter-weight and anti-skating adjustment. These allow you to fine-tune your table to get the best possible sound. Again, the Pro-Ject Debut III gives you this ability. You can also go the route I went which is to buy a $100 Crosley all-in-one just to see if you like it, then slowly start buying auido components. It will cost minimum $1200 to get a decent starter system...$450 Project Turntable, $400-500 Music Hall integrated amp, and $400-500 speakers.

There's tons of websites and blogs about this topic, do a search. Other good sources are:
    www.stereophile.com
    www.needledoctor.com
    http://new-vinyl.blogspot.com/
    www.vinylengine.com

Once you start listening, the most important thing is to keep your records and stylus clean!
    Tread Lightly.