After Dinner Drinks...

inlet13inlet13 Posts: 1,979
edited November 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
... I'm a beer person. I love all beer, and try out all sorts of different beers.

But, my wife and I are celebrating our anniversary in a week or so and I booked a really nice restaurant. We go out to nice places on occasion, but this is very nice. So, I was looking at the menu and they have an assortment of after dinner drinks. I was thinking of trying one, but I don't know much about them.

Which are the best?
Here's a new demo called "in the fire":

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt; <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href=" - In the Fire (demo)</a> by <a href="
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• inlet13 wrote:
    ... I'm a beer person. I love all beer, and try out all sorts of different beers.

But, my wife and I are celebrating our anniversary in a week or so and I booked a really nice restaurant. We go out to nice places on occasion, but this is very nice. So, I was looking at the menu and they have an assortment of after dinner drinks. I was thinking of trying one, but I don't know much about them.

Which are the best?
    Honestly it depends on what dessert you pick... They are generally sweeter...
    Some great dessert wines (ports...), Cognacs, Coffees with alcohol in them...

I like grappa or coffee liquor with beans in it...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    inlet13 wrote:

Which are the best?

Attention: Old People, there the only ones who would know.
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    inlet13 wrote:

Which are the best?

:lol:
  • inlet13inlet13 Posts: 1,979
    inlet13 wrote:

Which are the best?

ha ha... true, but I'm getting up there now. So, might as well learn. There's probably a reason they drink it. Maybe they know something we don't.

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt; <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href=" - In the Fire (demo)</a> by <a href="
  • rcsrcs Posts: 711
    Personally I really enjoy port after a meal. Especially with some kind of rich/chocolately dessert. I'd recommend an nice 20 year Tawny from Taylor Fladgate or Sandeman. Really though with port it's hard to go wrong so whatever the restaurant offers will probably be decent.

My brother is a beer lover and wine hater but he loves port so you might too.
    E agora? Faz xixi na mão e deita fora!
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    when we go fancy, i go martini (GIN (make your pick) up with an olive) as the appetizer drink.

i don't typically have a dessert drink, but i would go with a nice aged bourbon, mostly because i don't like the "traditional" dessert drinks
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Brandy Alexander. A 'dandy' drink but quite tasty and not so strong that you will bomb out on a special evening.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • inlet13inlet13 Posts: 1,979
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll look into these options...

• Dessert wine is good - maybe a vin santo or an ice wine. I find port to be really heavy, especially on a full stomach.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    Nothing caps off a nice romantic dinner better then a snort or two of some good 'ol Mad Dog 20 /20!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRX5zH0XNa7cnKULq8q_7QF5JPMUR5xrChGEuEUyFBOSI2oYgM3dA

:D
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    I was taken on a really nice work dinner a while back (to a super fancy restaurant...the kind I would never go to if I were paying :lol: ), and the guy that took us ordered everyone Grand Marnier after dinner. I do remember it was an older one but I couldn't say how old exactly. It was delish...you might even want to ask the waiter what he recommends!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,941
    Jason P wrote:
    Nothing caps off a nice romantic dinner better then a snort or two of some good 'ol Mad Dog 20 /20!

by snort you mean the whole bottle , right? THAT dude is on to snort #2.. note the empty in the bottom right.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

by snort you mean the whole bottle , right? THAT dude is on to snort #2.. note the empty in the bottom right.
    I'm not here to judge. 8-)
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,941
    Jason P wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

I'm not here to judge. 8-)
    its just , well, that guy is drinking like I drank. In a similar place too!! I aint judging!!! :mrgreen:;)
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    I Love Scotch. Scotchy, Scotch, Scotch. Here It Goes Down, Down Into My Belly

Or Bourbon
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    I was taken on a really nice work dinner a while back (to a super fancy restaurant...the kind I would never go to if I were paying :lol: ), and the guy that took us ordered everyone Grand Marnier after dinner. I do remember it was an older one but I couldn't say how old exactly. It was delish...you might even want to ask the waiter what he recommends!

it had better been Mortons. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

WAY better than Mortons.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

WAY better than Mortons.

not for my stock. :x
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

not for my stock. :x

:lol:
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Its not atypical one and i doubt you'll find it at a resturant, but Southern Tier Brewery makes a Creme Brule beer that is very very good.

Buy a 22oz and share it :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,842
    sambuca
    port wine
    cognacs
    brandy
    scotch

there are some very nice sweet dessert wines, but I know nothing of them
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    a good port wine is always good. or grand marnier. I just go for a chocolate martini. Delish.