The Official Cigar Thread

13»

Comments

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I still smoke 'em, but not the big stogies in which I used to indulge.  My "guy" at the smoke place claimed he could get me real Cubans.

Who knows?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqQIm-AtsXs
  • Will be putting in my spring/summer order here in the not too distant future.

20 or so random easy to smoke cigars. Romeo, Punch, H Upman, Macanudo, etc.

15 Montescristo No. 2

3 Cohiba Robustos

Probably a few Partagas Serie E No 2

And boom goes the dymanite.  Gonna be a good spring/summer/fall at the shore.
    How is a Partagas even remotely close to a Cohiba!?!
    Ha, they're not, but they're a cheaper and fairly solid Cuban that I'll probably end up tossing in the order for good measure.

Cohiba's will be for special occasions. Montecristo's will be a fairly regular smoke based on getting a good number of them, but they're soooo good.
    So I smoked Partagas CUbans on a regular basis at one time, I lived in another country so I was able to get them, but when I got to have a Cohiba Cuban there was no comparison.  My lord what a good cigar!

I've had Montecristo too which were good, Romeo & Juliet was ok.

Never had the chance to try a Macanudo Cuban.

The Royal Barbados cigars were really good too.  Hand rolled Cuban leaf and tobacco.  Very good smoke and the price was a fraction of a Cuban which was nice.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,925
    Will be putting in my spring/summer order here in the not too distant future.

15 Montescristo No. 2

3 Cohiba Robustos

Ha, they're not, but they're a cheaper and fairly solid Cuban that I'll probably end up tossing in the order for good measure.

Cohiba's will be for special occasions. Montecristo's will be a fairly regular smoke based on getting a good number of them, but they're soooo good.
    So I smoked Partagas CUbans on a regular basis at one time, I lived in another country so I was able to get them, but when I got to have a Cohiba Cuban there was no comparison.  My lord what a good cigar!

The Royal Barbados cigars were really good too.  Hand rolled Cuban leaf and tobacco.  Very good smoke and the price was a fraction of a Cuban which was nice.
    I need to look into that Royal Barbados. The biggest turn off to cigars can be the price. Its hard for me to justify dropping $12+ on a cigar. I just find a few staples that are cheap, I usually stick with Arturo Fuente, they are good and cheap. Usually get a box of 25 for about $100, and even when cut in half they can still last 30 minutes. I usually don't have time to sit and smoke for an hour anyway. If I find a local store I like, I'll buy out all their seconds/mistakes when I can get a $12 cigar for $3 just because there's a wrinkle in the wrapper. 

Funny you didn't like the Cuban R&J, that was my favorite. I'd get a small variety every time I traveled, and that was my favorite last time.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,576

15 Montescristo No. 2

3 Cohiba Robustos

Cohiba robusto is my favorite cigar. Montecristo 2 is generally the highest rated Cuban.  Partagas I think are fine and much less expensive than both.  I have not had a R&J cuban.  Macanudo, R&J and all that I am ordering are not Cubans.  Only the Cohibas, Montecristos and Partagas.  Don't want the wife to kill me.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    edited January 2019
    I don't understand cigar smoking. You don't inhale it into the lungs. Is it just about the taste?
    What makes a good cigar?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    My wife is a flight attendant & had a few Cuba flights this past year. Had her pick up a couple boxes of Romeo y Julieta Short Churchills. Sending 1 of the boxes to an old friend for his 60th B.D. I would rather smoke weed    ;)
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,576
    edited March 2019
    Alright, the spring/summer cigar order is in

10 Montecristo #2 (Cuban)
    3 Cohiba Robusto (Cuban)
    5 Cohiba Nicaragua Robusto
    5 Montecristo Churchill
    5 Romeo Reserva Toro
    5 Rocky Patel Olde World Reserve  
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    mace1229 said:

15 Montescristo No. 2

3 Cohiba Robustos

I need to look into that Royal Barbados. The biggest turn off to cigars can be the price. Its hard for me to justify dropping $12+ on a cigar. I just find a few staples that are cheap, I usually stick with Arturo Fuente, they are good and cheap. Usually get a box of 25 for about $100, and even when cut in half they can still last 30 minutes. I usually don't have time to sit and smoke for an hour anyway. If I find a local store I like, I'll buy out all their seconds/mistakes when I can get a $12 cigar for $3 just because there's a wrinkle in the wrapper. 

Funny you didn't like the Cuban R&J, that was my favorite. I'd get a small variety every time I traveled, and that was my favorite last time.
    Gotta revive this thread. I’m having an R&J  Desde 1875 2018 Limited Edition. It’s amazing. Luckily in Canada we can get Cubans, unfortunately the Feds tax the shit out of them. Lol
  • lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,927
    Just came across this thread.

Enjoying a Padron 6000 Maduro at the moment.

Very nice! I haven’t tried a Nicaraguan cigar yet. cigarafficinado.com has that one as one of the top 25 of 2004.

Very nice! I haven’t tried a Nicaraguan cigar yet. cigarafficinado.com has that one as one of the top 25 of 2004.
    Would definitely recommend. One of my favorite non Cuban cigars.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,242

Very nice!
    I had a H. Upman by AJ Fernandez last night.  Never had that stick before.  
    I use the Cigar Register app to take notes.  I like taking notes on cigars because I always forget what I've had, if I liked them, but it also allows me to take notes on flavor, progression, etc.
    It got a lot of 90+ reviews, but I don't see it.  I gave it a 8.1 (on a 10 scale) in my world.  
    I have a cigar about once a month.  So relaxing to sit out on a nice night, have a smoke, drink some whiskey and kick back.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,732
    Had an Ashton Symmetry this weekend.  Enjoyed it very much.
    I’m going to take a stroll to my local cigar shop and see if they have that Padron 6000 Maduro that was so highly recommended by mckennney above. 
    If they don’t it might be the Upmann Magnum 50.
    I’m going to take a stroll to my local cigar shop and see if they have that Padron 6000 Maduro that was so highly recommended by mckennney above. 
    Hopefully they have it, I think you woukd certainly enjoy it.
    Hopefully they have it, I think you woukd certainly enjoy it.
    Unfortunately they didn’t. But there is a cigar shop with a far larger selection a short drive (but not walking distance). I’ll stop by tomorrow and see if it’s there. 
    I grabbed the Magnum 50 for this evening. 👍
    Canada now has strict laws for tobacco which require manufacturers to sell them in plain packaging. 

Padron isn’t interested in producing special packaging for such a small market, so you can’t get those here. The packaging is part of Canada’s plan to be “tobacco-free” by 2035. Interestingly, the shop owner said the US is looking at our model (packaging, heavy taxes, etc) to dissuade people from using tobacco products.

He suggested an alternative and I am currently enjoying this beautiful cigar:

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,925
    Anyone here ever roll your own? I’ve been rolling my own for about 3 years and enjoy it. I’ve made about 200 or so in that time. I’m getting better but they still look amateurish. 
    If you’ve rolled your own id be curious where do you buy you’re leaves and what tips do you have on making it look more professional? 
    I usually buy from LeafOnly, but they seem to be inconsistent. Don’t know if that’s normal since I’m sure they have a wide range of suppliers.