what to do? need help..

Juan GodoyJuan Godoy Posts: 490
edited November 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I have to show you my next few weeks for you to understand why I want to kill myself ..

5 / 11 Sonic Youth
8 / 11 Faith No More
9 / 11 Chris Cornell
10/11 Chris Cornell
Pearl Jam 13/11
14/11 flight to Chile
Pearl Jam 16/11
17/11 flight to Peru
Pearl Jam 18/11
19/11 flight back to Buenos Aires ..

I can not believe it .. I have mumps! I can not believe my luck and my misery .. having my all life, why I had to get sick now?

if I do not recover and I miss the concerts and especially the trip .. I do not know how to get on with my life
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• How long have you had it?

I just did a quick google and it says after 1-2 weeks, symptoms should have greatly subsided. until then, lots of fluid, rest, and something to help with the pain--ibuprofen or something. Warm compresses for swelling too, if needed.

dude, it sucks but all you can do is concentrate on getting better. If you miss the shows, it would really suck but you have to take care of your health first.

I missed what was to be my first PJ concert after ending up in the hospital. I KNOW how much it sucks, but take care of yourself and just hope for the best and that you won't have to miss everything.

I hope you feel better soon!!
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    http://www.cdc.gov/mumps/

Sounds like the recommended isolation period is for five days after the glands swell. You might be okay _ but maybe not for the first couple of shows on your agenda.

What does your doctor say?

I'm really sorry this happened to you. :(
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Oh that is a huuuuuge bummer. I hope it all works out!
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    Ok, I know it sucks to get sick. :( I have one obvious thing to say, "As long as you can get to the PJ concert is all that matters." :shifty:

I hope you feel better soon and are able to attend all the shows.
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    Do everything you can. Acupuncture, Chinese herbs, meditation, extreme antibiotics what have you. Leave no stone unturned. Good luck! I hope it goes away! That really sucks. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Juan Godoy wrote:
    I have to show you my next few weeks for you to understand why I want to kill myself ..

5 / 11 Sonic Youth
    8 / 11 Faith No More
    9 / 11 Chris Cornell
    10/11 Chris Cornell
    Pearl Jam 13/11
    14/11 flight to Chile
    Pearl Jam 16/11
    17/11 flight to Peru
    Pearl Jam 18/11

I can not believe it .. I have mumps! I can not believe my luck and my misery .. having my all life, why I had to get sick now?

if I do not recover and I miss the concerts and especially the trip .. I do not know how to get on with my life

oh please.. you have mumps. have you any idea what that can do to you??? plus its CONTAGIOUS! take some responsibility and deal with your illness. i know it sux but pearl jam is a band and not a reason to perhaps infect others.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Juan Godoy wrote:

5 / 11 Sonic Youth
    8 / 11 Faith No More
    9 / 11 Chris Cornell
    10/11 Chris Cornell
    Pearl Jam 13/11
    14/11 flight to Chile
    Pearl Jam 16/11
    17/11 flight to Peru
    Pearl Jam 18/11

oh please.. you have mumps. have you any idea what that can do to you??? plus its CONTAGIOUS! take some responsibility and deal with your illness. i know it sux but pearl jam is a band and not a reason to perhaps infect others.

Yeah, I'm with Cate on this one. Sure, it would suck MASSIVELY if you have to miss some of those shows, but to say you don't know how you would get on with your life???? That seems like a bit of an extreme statement.

From what I know, mumps is a relatively mild illness, and if you've already been diagnosed, you should not be contagious for very long (as others have said). HOWEVER, even allowing that mumps is a milder illness than chickenpox or measles, please respect other people and don't expose them to it needlessly.

I am a very very big advocate of immunisation, and it really pisses me off when people who have an illness that is preventable by immunisation expose other people to that illness for their own selfish reasons. - what would happen to say a pregnant woman who caught mumps from you, or a parent who caught it from you, and passed it on to their child who isn't old enough to have been immunised yet? People who are sick should have some respect for others and stay home.

My son had chickenpox even though he'd been immunised, and he got quite sick - if he hadn't been immunised already he would have been very very sick. As it was, he was in danger of blood poisoning from an infected chicken spot, and required medication for that. Mumps may be milder, but it is still a virus, and that can still cause people to react badly to it. So please think of others and if you have to miss a show or two, well deal with it.

Priorities are needed - it's just a band (yes, that we all love), and they will play again.

Edit- This wasn't meant to turn into a pro-immunisation rant! Regardless of their immunised status, people who are sick with a contagious illness of any sort, should stay home and not infect other people!!! Just had to clarify what I was saying. :)
  • thanks to all of you for your support.. SPECIALL thanks to GivenToLukinKP, unlost dogs and RYEzupSF

and to make things clear .. I will not infect anyone and would not do on purpose, I am just saying that if I don't get over it I don't know what to do or how am I going to attend the concerts. but my intention is not infect anyone and I think we are mixing personal stories and problems with other ..

luckily, i'm feeling better today..
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    It does totally suck pal but you can not risk infecting others.

I would talk to my doctor and do what ever he recommends. If he says you can’t go, don’t go.

I hope he says otherwise, but you have to take his advice.

And trust me, if you miss the shows, life will go on.
  • It does totally suck pal but you can not risk infecting others.

I would talk to my doctor and do what ever he recommends. If he says you can’t go, don’t go.

Thanks for the advice.. the doctor says i'll be fine.. but not sure of the previous shows..
    i can see you understand me..

but some others, just talks because it's easy for them, it's easy to say "don't go" when they already saw them a million times, and they live in places where bands like this play all the time..
    i live in the third world, so.. the chances to Pearl Jam or Chris Cornell come back any time i think it's like 0.01 per cent.. i can not miss this.. and the trip i MUST do it, i have everything.. the flights, the hostels, the tickets, everything..
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Juan Godoy wrote:

5 / 11 Sonic Youth
    8 / 11 Faith No More
    9 / 11 Chris Cornell
    10/11 Chris Cornell
    Pearl Jam 13/11
    14/11 flight to Chile
    Pearl Jam 16/11
    17/11 flight to Peru
    Pearl Jam 18/11

You may miss the first concerts but you should be fine by Pearl Jam and your travel,
    which we know is imperative ...
    be thankful it happened now and not the first day of Pearl Jam, that would be really horrible.

Take care, feel better, safe travels and enjoy! :D
  • pandora wrote:
    Juan Godoy wrote:

5 / 11 Sonic Youth
    8 / 11 Faith No More
    9 / 11 Chris Cornell
    10/11 Chris Cornell
    Pearl Jam 13/11
    14/11 flight to Chile
    Pearl Jam 16/11
    17/11 flight to Peru
    Pearl Jam 18/11

You may miss the first concerts but you should be fine by Pearl Jam and your travel,
    which we know is imperative ...
    be thankful it happened now and not the first day of Pearl Jam, that would be really horrible.

Take care, feel better, safe travels and enjoy! :D

THANKS pandi, really nice of you..
    Juan Godoy wrote:

Thanks for the advice.. the doctor says i'll be fine.. but not sure of the previous shows..

but some others, just talks because it's easy for them, it's easy to say "don't go" when they already saw them a million times, and they live in places where bands like this play all the time..
    i live in the third world, so.. the chances to Pearl Jam or Chris Cornell come back any time i think it's like 0.01 per cent.. i can not miss this.. and the trip i MUST do it, i have everything.. the flights, the hostels, the tickets, everything..

Oh I completely understood your dilemma, I know it's not often bands come to your continent. I'm glad things are working out for you.

AND ENJOY THE SHOWS!!!
  • Juan Godoy wrote:

I'm sorry if I offended you by anything I said, I certainly didn't mean to. As for you saying talk is easy, well I haven't seen them a million times. I've seen them twice. Once in 95 and once in 09. They play Australia more than South America I guess, but Australia is a big place and it's very expensive to travel from one side to the other. Also personal circumstances prevented me from seeing them more than once, so it's not like I don't understand. You assuming that just because I live somewhere that they play a little more regularly than South America means I can see them all the time, is as ignorant as me assuming you would deliberately infect others just to see a band. I just thought your statement was a bit extreme and coming from the perspective of someone who has been on the other side of getting sick because people are careless, I said what I said.

I wasn't trying to imply that it was easy. I know it would suck, but it's just a band, there ARE more important things in life.
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Oh no!!!! I hope you're feeling better and hopefully those darn mumps will be gone so you can make all the shows!

That being said, if you need to unload your Faith No More tix I will gladly fly down there and take them off your hands ;)
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Mamasan23 wrote:
    Oh no!!!! I hope you're feeling better and hopefully those darn mumps will be gone so you can make all the shows!

That being said, if you need to unload your Faith No More tix I will gladly fly down there and take them off your hands ;)

:lol::lol::lol:

btw, love your tatoo
  • Juan Godoy wrote:

I'm sorry if I offended you by anything I said, I certainly didn't mean to. As for you saying talk is easy, well I haven't seen them a million times. I've seen them twice. Once in 95 and once in 09. They play Australia more than South America I guess, but Australia is a big place and it's very expensive to travel from one side to the other. Also personal circumstances prevented me from seeing them more than once, so it's not like I don't understand. You assuming that just because I live somewhere that they play a little more regularly than South America means I can see them all the time, is as ignorant as me assuming you would deliberately infect others just to see a band. I just thought your statement was a bit extreme and coming from the perspective of someone who has been on the other side of getting sick because people are careless, I said what I said.

I wasn't trying to imply that it was easy. I know it would suck, but it's just a band, there ARE more important things in life.

THANKS for clarifying your message! I try not to offend you in any manner or form, it's just that I'm in a bad mood by the disease .. thank you very much seriously, was very nice of you .. :D:D

i will see the doctor tomorrow so he can tell me about what I can do, because I feel better .. fingers crossed

and sorry if i was rude or something like that, didn't mean to :D
  • Juan Godoy wrote:

5 / 11 Sonic Youth
    8 / 11 Faith No More
    9 / 11 Chris Cornell
    10/11 Chris Cornell
    Pearl Jam 13/11
    14/11 flight to Chile
    Pearl Jam 16/11
    17/11 flight to Peru
    Pearl Jam 18/11

Love it. Nothing but the truth.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Juan Godoy wrote:

ive seen pj twice, not a million times.. so no its not as easy as you insinuate for me to say suck it up and dont go. but i do know no matter how much i wanted to see a band , if i had a communicable disease i wouldnt be irresponsible enough to take the chance of infecting others.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    Juan Godoy wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

btw, love your tatoo

Thanks! So...any good news on your health?!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Mamasan23 wrote:
    Juan Godoy wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

btw, love your tatoo

Thanks! So...any good news on your health?!

YES!! i'm fuc*** healthy now!! the doc says i can go to every concert but stay calm so i don't get sick again for the trip

Thank you so much!!
  • Juan GodoyJuan Godoy Posts: 490
    edited November 2011
    THANKS to everyone who post on this thread..

you'll have news from me as soon as i return from the trip ;)
    Post edited by Juan Godoy on
    great news, have a blast!
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Juan Godoy wrote:

:wave: :clap::D
  • pandora wrote:
    Juan Godoy wrote:

:wave: :clap::D

thanks pandi!! :D
  • a quick review of the trip..

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=176559