OCD or GAD

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited November 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
What are some treatments for it, besides drugs?

Basically, my mind won't shut off. I get something stuck in it and it plays on repeat, often worries that I have no control over. I know xanax works, but I refuse to take it regularly. I don't want any drug habits.

Besides my morbidly clean car interior, it's not to a point where people can tell. I hide it pretty good. I often have a hard time focusing and it effects my memory badly. It keeps me from being an avid reader. It often effects my social life. I even post compulsive threads here from time to time.

It causes me insomnia. Alcohol helps. It makes my mood more positive, not negative. Moderate alcohol consumption is a temporary relief, but I often wake up at 4 am and can't fall asleep because of worries. I also get little nervous habits like grinding teeth, cracking my neck, picking skin..

It's been REALLY bad this past few weeks, since my girlfriend and I are taking a break in our relationship because of health problems she's having. Craziness at work isn't helping either. I really want to quit my job right now, but won't. I often find myself racing home from work just to stare at my TV and repeat worries in the back of my mind.

Can I brain wash myself to fix this? It's all state of mind. I know it is. It's just, how do you escape???

EDIT: And the internet makes it worse. I've probably just reread what I typed 5 times to make sure it makes sense. :?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    you like to run....right...go for a run, until you can't run no more...then drink a bottle of wine until you can't drink no more....than pass out...before passing out, make sure to drink alot of water...don't want to dehyrdate from running and drinking...

you may want to consider depends.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    81 wrote:
    you like to run....right...go for a run, until you can't run no more...then drink a bottle of wine until you can't drink no more....than pass out...before passing out, make sure to drink alot of water...don't want to dehyrdate from running and drinking...

you may want to consider depends.
    Running helps.. as does a few glasses of alcohol. I never have the urge to get wasted, and I guess that's a good thing.

My three glasses of two buck chuck before bed has become closer to four lately, but I do feel better afterwords and get at least a few hours of peace. :?
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    marijuana
    conman wrote:
    marijuana
    I'm thinking about it.. I'll need a pipe.. was never really good at rolling joints.
    Gob wrote:
    conman wrote:
    marijuana
    I'm thinking about it.. I'll need a pipe.. was never really good at rolling joints.
    i'm sure your local gas station carries them
  • YardenYarden Posts: 820
    have you considered talking to a friend to get things off your system, share your worries?
    edited November 2011
    conman wrote:
    Gob wrote:
    conman wrote:
    marijuana
    i'm sure your local gas station carries them

pipes or papers... :lol:

you can't even find beer at the gas stations in cook county. :x you really think you are going to find a pipe :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Gob wrote:
    conman wrote:
    marijuana

you get the weed, i'll do the rollling :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Gob wrote:
    conman wrote:
    marijuana

you get the weed, i'll do the rollling :P
    I definitely have a source.. Only took advantage of it once.. Guess it need to get on that. 8-)
    edited November 2011
    Yarden wrote:
    have you considered talking to a friend to get things off your system, share your worries?
    Yes. My Mom knows. I've told a few of my friends, and my girlfriend.

None of the people I told really understand it though. If you don't have it, its not something that is easy to understand.
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
    Gob wrote:
    I definitely have a source.. Only took advantage of it once.. Guess it need to get on that. 8-)

just make sure it's not mexican weed.....i don't smoke mexican weed....BC, colorado, wisconsin, ohio...that's all good....basically any weed that isn't associated with the cartels
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

you can't even find beer at the gas stations in cook county. :x you really think you are going to find a pipe :lol:
    where i come from every gas station sells pipes "for tobacco use only" :lol:
    81 wrote:
    Gob wrote:

just make sure it's not mexican weed.....i don't smoke mexican weed....BC, colorado, wisconsin, ohio...that's all good....basically any weed that isn't associated with the cartels
    I've smoked maybe... 6 times in my life?.. I don't know where it's from, but shits good. Definitely shined above the other 5 times.
    conman wrote:
    81 wrote:

where i come from every gas station sells pipes "for tobacco use only" :lol:

that shit is all sold in head shops around here....

zig zags can be bought in the gas station.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Gob wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Gob wrote:

I've smoked maybe... 6 times in my life?.. I don't know where it's from, but shits good. Definitely shined above the other 5 times.

clearly, i need to judge....i'll swing by sat to pick up a test patch :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    I'm only on my second glass of wine and feel "normal" now. :?

I also feel like all of my problems, especially with my girl will eventually end, and things will be fine. Should I trust this these ideas? :?
    Gob wrote:
    I'm only on my second glass of wine and feel "normal" now. :?

I also feel like all of my problems, especially with my girl will eventually end, and things will be fine. Should I trust this these ideas? :?

no...you should continue to think about them....and re analyize...it's the only way

:lol:

i also found punching something (not me) helps with stress.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • careful with the weed. it makes me paranoid like a mo-fo. or if makes me vomit. :?
    maybe thats just me. I can't handle it anymore at 31 like I could when I was a teenager.

i live in cook county as well...south burbs. The cigarette stores or smoke shops sell all kinds of pipes around here. There's always the good old fashioned internet for shopping as well.
    I don't think Ive ever seen them in gas stations myself.
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
    edited November 2011
    81 wrote:
    Gob wrote:

Not sure what kind I had last night, but it caused insomnia. Made me panic a little. While it made me feel drowsy, I couldn't sleep because it caused me to think of everything negative.

I know in the past I've freaked out on weed before. I wonder if that's just how I react to it. I slept pretty good once off of it, but most times it seems to make me a little crazy. Last night was no good. :?

Word of advise, do not smoke weed when you are already depressed. :?
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
  • Therapy is really effective for anxiety related disorders, especially cognitive behavioral therapy combined with meditation/relaxation, etc. Look for a therapist that specialized in treating these issues. A lot of times they can be treated really effectively without medication, or with some short-term meds.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    you want treatment ideas, other than drugs, yet you will smoke pot? I understand that pot can cause panic and anxiety in some people.

have you googled ocd? you will likely see that paxil is effective. not the same kind of drug as xanax.
    i believe that group therapy or cognitive therapy or is it cognitive behavior therapy help. since paxil can cause insomnia, sometimes another drug is prescribed. If ocd is caused by a chemical imbalance, it is my understanding, it must be treated with drugs. i would start out by describing your stress level and symptoms with your doctor (primary care doctor.)

also being very busy (like charity or helping someone REALLY bad off) might help. good luck. at least you recognize that you have symptoms and are not in denial, which is the first step. i don't think being alone helps either. isolation can bring on some really bad things regarding mental illness (i know, it has happened in my family.)
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more