Options

News articles found?

KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,776
edited June 2007 in Given To Fly (live)
Has anyone found any news articles from the international papers about Pearl Jam's visit? Lisbon and Madrid are the closest upcoming shows. :) If you come across them, does the site translate them too? I could try babelfish if not.

Love,
Kat
P.S. Of course, if you ARE actually overseas, the int'l papers would be something else...lol. :) Thank you, jammers.
Falling down,...not staying down
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i've found about 7 of them... but since you didnt sticky the only fanzine in existence about Pearl Jam then i'm keeping them to myself..

i've just read one from The Lisbon Times... apparently Jeff likes to... oh wait... better not
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    The Spiegel Times of our Independent Le Monde Guardian in the Daily Telegraph Mirror reports:

Shouting the Riot Act,
    6 June, 2007

(Munich)- Riots have broken out across Europe as rabid crowds screamed obscenities and damaged thousands of cars, while chanting something along the lines of 'what the friggin hell is happening with the release of bootlegs?'

It is believed that this is a secret cult dedicated to the worship of avocados, as evidenced by the adoption of blue t-shirts with an avocado design on it as the uniform of choice.

Under the guise of rock fans, these rioters deny any links to established UK football hooligan groups, and plan on uniting as one as they move from Portugal to Spain, through to Germany, passing through Poland, Italy, Austria, and England, before they congregate at various places in Germany again, before moving onto Denmark, and finally ending with demonstrations in parkland in the Netherlands and Belgium. England has been identified as a crucial point on this tour of rampage, as elite members of the group will find themselves in the middle of Wembley arena, bouncing up and down as they call for the people in the stands to follow suit.

There is no clue as to why this group is following such a ridiculous route as they criss-cross back and forth across Europe. This movement has garnered support from as far away as Australia.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Leave lil' Jeff alone Dunk.....

Kat... Surprisingly very little in the news about PJ's european tour. There was a little buzz when the tour was announced, but nothing really now.

Maybe we need to wait until after they play Lisbon?
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    Hinny wrote:
    The Spiegel Times of our Independent Le Monde Guardian in the Daily Telegraph Mirror reports:

Shouting the Riot Act,
    6 June, 2007

(Munich)- Riots have broken out across Europe as rabid crowds screamed obscenities and damaged thousands of cars, while chanting something along the lines of 'what the friggin hell is happening with the release of bootlegs?'

It is believed that this is a secret cult dedicated to the worship of avocados, as evidenced by the adoption of blue t-shirts with an avocado design on it as the uniform of choice.

Under the guise of rock fans, these rioters deny any links to established UK football hooligan groups, and plan on uniting as one as they move from Portugal to Spain, through to Germany, passing through Poland, Italy, Austria, and England, before they congregate at various places in Germany again, before moving onto Denmark, and finally ending with demonstrations in parkland in the Netherlands and Belgium. England has been identified as a crucial point on this tour of rampage, as elite members of the group will find themselves in the middle of Wembley arena, bouncing up and down as they call for the people in the stands to follow suit.

There is no clue as to why this group is following such a ridiculous route as they criss-cross back and forth across Europe. This movement has garnered support from as far away as Australia.

good work hinny...
    i am sure there will be something in the london papers around gig time :)
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    Leave lil' Jeff alone Dunk.....

Kat... Surprisingly very little in the news about PJ's european tour. There was a little buzz when the tour was announced, but nothing really now.

Maybe we need to wait until after they play Lisbon?

Thank you for your help, redrock...I thought maybe I was just not finding them. There is normally a preview article for any upcoming shows in the city's papers. :)

Love,
    Kat
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    ooohhh redrock is teachers pet. :D

Kat, sticky issue 2 or i'll hunt you down and kiss you... its your call baby!!!
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    I'll scan and email you any British PJ articles I come across, 'cos I love ya.
  • Options
    What a bunch o' sweeties. Thanka very much.

I hope everyone who's going will have a fantastic time...I won't be there...so jealous. :)

Love,
    Kat
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Kat wrote:

I hope everyone who's going will have a fantastic time...I won't be there...so jealous. :)

Love,
    Kat

Aawww Kat... such a lovely lil' European tour just when the weather is getting nice, not a long one so not away from home for any length of time.. Let me talk to your boss!

We're all gonna have a great time! Especially WEMBLEY!!
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    Kat wrote:

Love,
    Kat

awwwwwwwwwwwwwww my heart bleeds ;)
  • Options
    Bartek_-_Bartek_-_ Posts: 73
    There's an article in "Gazeta Wyborcza" (the 2nd biggest Polish newspaper and the most renowned one) about Pearl Jam in regards of the upcoming show. It's on the whole page. Here's the internet version: http://www.gazetawyborcza.pl/1,75248,4205170.html
    I don't think there's a point in translating the text - basically it's a PJ phenomena description.

Also, I know about upcoming article in "Dziennik Zachodni" (a local, silesian newspaper) - a journalist called me two days ago and asked about Munich - Chorzow trip, etc. :) For sure other medias will prepare something either - I'll post anything I'll find.

There was some more buzz in medias when the show was announced, some papers even mentioned "You Forgot Poland" action. I can look for them if you need.
  • Options
    Bartek wrote:
    There's an article in "Gazeta Wyborcza" (the 2nd biggest Polish newspaper and the most renowned one) about Pearl Jam in regards of the upcoming show. It's on the whole page. Here's the internet version: http://www.gazetawyborcza.pl/1,75248,4205170.html
    I don't think there's a point in translating the text - basically it's a PJ phenomena description.

Also, I know about upcoming article in "Dziennik Zachodni" (a local, silesian newspaper) - a journalist called me two days ago and asked about Munich - Chorzow trip, etc. :) For sure other medias will prepare something either - I'll post anything I'll find.

There was some more buzz in medias when the show was announced, some papers even mentioned "You Forgot Poland" action. I can look for them if you need.

Oh yea, and the Gazeta Wyborcza preview was perfect...I used the InterTran translator and it looks funny but it should be ok for now. Thank you. I'll keep my eye open for that other one too. :)

Love,
    Kat
  • Options
    romybianromybian Posts: 1,644
    Kat wrote:
    Oh yea, and the Gazeta Wyborcza preview was perfect...I used the InterTran translator and it looks funny but it should be ok for now. Thank you. I'll keep my eye open for that other one too. :)

Love,
    Kat
    If u need spanish-english translation just let me know, It'd take a while though.
    "The joke in your language won't come out the same" (Tom Petty)
    I'm no dude! Dudette!
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    maybe it's getting to be old news and reporters don't care anymore.

just saying.
  • Options
    henchmanhenchman Posts: 172
    Some info in spanish free newspaper

http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/244117/0/previa/Festimad/Sur/

National Radio (RNE3) will broadcast:

http://www.rtve.es/rne/r3/

You will be able to listen here (windows media or real player):

http://www.rtve.es/rne/audio/RNE_Envivo_emision/index_r3.html

I hope that the band allows the broadcast as they did in Azkena 2006
    1996: San Sebastian
    2000: San Sebastian
    2006: Barcelona, Vitoria, Lisbon I & II, Madrid, Verona, Milan
    2007: Lisbon, Madrid, London, Dusseldorf
    2009: Rotterdam, Manchester, London
    2010: Berlin, Lisbon
    2014: Amsterdam I & II, Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2018: Amsterdam I & II, Barcelona, Madrid
    2022: Frankfurt, London I & II, Amsterdam II
  • Options
    Kat wrote:

Love,
    Kat

You're welcome.
    Here's a photo of another Polish article, from "Dziennik":
    http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/8972/dsc00164km3.jpg

The title means: "The last rockmen without a fringes". The lead: "The greatest mistake of the year or a clever marketing catch? Pearl Jam and Linkin Park will play in Chorzow - the bands divided by a huge gap between their music, and connected by a huge popularity." The article mentions Linkin Park few other time but generally focuses on PJ. It's another story about anti-corporate fan-loving band: Tickemaster case, no videos, official bootlegs, etc.

"Co jest grane?" a cultural magazine of "Gazeta Wyborcza" (again ;)) includes an article about the gig as well. In some local editions it's even on the first page: http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/3633/getimageha7.jpg

A friend told me that "You Forgot Poland" action is mentioned there. I'm gonna buy it, will post some details later...

BTW: here's a quite good Polish-English translator (better than this InterTran thing): http://www.poltran.com/

Cheers.
  • Options
    I Am GoneI Am Gone Posts: 831
    Kat wrote:

Love,
    Kat

Does this mean we'll miss out on your fantastic photography this tour as well then :(
    REMEMBER KIDS....

The Bible is full of lies - Stone is the leader of us all!
  • Options
    Thank you, Bartek. Those were great and very appreciated. :)

I'm Gone, those weren't my photos...that's Kerensa who's been taking photos. :)

Love,
    Kat
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Kat wrote:

Love,
    Kat

Kat - I'll make you a deal. Tell PJ to play Virginia, and when they do, I'll translate any articles from "southern-ese" to "seattle-ese". Deal?

:)
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    I Am GoneI Am Gone Posts: 831
    Kat wrote:
    Thank you, Bartek. Those were great and very appreciated. :)

I'm Gone, those weren't my photos...that's Kerensa who's been taking photos. :)

Love,
    Kat

I always thought you were Kerensa, wow, thats two cock ups in a day, this morning i called a girl a boy :blushes:
    REMEMBER KIDS....

The Bible is full of lies - Stone is the leader of us all!
  • Options
    olikatieolikatie Posts: 62
    1996: Zürich - 2000: Zürich - 2006: Marseille, Paris & Berne
  • Options
    Ok, here's the promised article from "Co Jest Grane" ("What is played" in a direct translation, the real meanig is "What's Goin' On?"). The article is translated using a software, with some quick fixes:
    Great rock holiday on Stadion Slaski. Two American bands will play: Pearl Jam and Linkin Park.

Pearl Jam is a legend of grunge music. It has emerged in Seattle in 1990. In an early 90s it was one of the most important bands in the world, today it still glads a great estimate. For some it's a synonim of a rock star, for some others: a symbol of independence, which can be saved now matter how big is a commercial level of success. Group has a very faithful fans. Also in Poland - year ago they invented an action "You Forgot Poland". The motto itself has a few years history - it raised during American presidential debate in 2004. That was a George Bush's accusation for John Kerry, who forgot about Poland when counting countries which take a part in Iraq intervention. Polish fans have taken the slogan year ago - every time when a fan managed to to get on a foreign concert of Pearl Jam he wore a shirt (there were flags as well) and tried to run to eye of musicans, who are actively concerned on politics. As it is possible to read on a site http://www.pearljam.pl, the fans managed to get closer to musicians on september concerts in Lisbon, Berlin and Prague, and the band, seeing the slogan, reacted very kindly. Certainly it wasn't the only thing that decided about organising the concert in Poland. However, it could help.
    On the same day Linkin Park will play. The band emerged in late 90s in California. Their music is a hybrid of metal, electronica and rap. The first album of the band, "Hybrid Theory" was bought by over 10 million people around the world. Later there was an album with a remixes and a premiering "Meteora" in 2003. From this time the band get famous of a cooperation with a well known rapper Jay-Z. To this day they sold more than a 40 million of records. Currently the band promotes a lately released album "Minutes To Midnight".
    Polish support bands are Coma and Gutierez.

Marcin Banko
    Tickets: 110, 165 and 400 PLN. Can be bought at http://www.ticketpro.pl