Options

Another indie record store going away?

youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
edited November 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Just got a disheartening email from Newbury Comics CEO Mike Dreese saying that he is unsure of the future of his business. This is a local store in the New England area that has been in business since 1978. I have been shopping here since the early 90's and it is one of the best stores around. Can't believe it. Here is the email I recieved today:

Newbury Comics-No Future?!
Our Company is approaching a long awaited crossroads. Behind us is our storied past of bringing cutting edge music to a highly enthusiastic, and very loyal customer base.
When John and I opened our then tiny store front on Newbury Street in 1978, we had no idea the ride we were in for! Over the ensuing years, we built stores all across the region, worked with hundreds of the most interesting and creative people you could imagine, and in the process impacted the cultural perspective of New England.
We have sold over 90 million records, CDs and DVDs, had hundreds of artist in-store appearances and employed perhaps 2400 different people through the years.
We have out lived, out witted and out lasted The Coop, Strawberries, Lechmere, NE Music City, Tower Records, HMV, Popcorn, Good Vibrations, Virgin Megastore, Circuit City and now sadly, Borders. We are left competing at Brick and Mortar with the likes of Wal-Mart and Target, and what remains of Best Buy's and FYE's media offerings.
Looking forward, we can see we surely must morph, or slowly die. There simply isn't enough remaining customer demand to support more than a handful of our stores in a few years if we don't change our mixture of goods.
Many of you have continued to support us, even as your own music consumption has shifted to online options. All of you have noticed our not so subtle shift in emphasis from pure music, to music and DVD, to now at times an odd mixture of new and used CDs + DVDs, combined with an increasing amount of pop culture and fashion items.
We recently launched a new "hybrid" store in the South Shore Plaza in Braintree, moving our store from across the street. Yeah, I know, malls kinda suck sometimes. This store features way more fashion than we have ever presented. The results are very encouraging so far, with CD + DVD sales up, along with a very strong increase in other non media categories.
We have also built our web efforts to the point where they represent 25% of our total sales, mainly through eBay, Amazon, and Punk.com. These web sales help support our overall cost structure, and may be a potential future path for the entire company.
We are right now in the process of building another hybrid superstore in the Natick Mall. The next 6 months will be critical in determining whether we have a brick and mortar store concept which will survive the steady decline in CD + DVD sales we are now experiencing in all of our other locations.
I know we can't turn back the clock, and I know we have to change dramatically over the next 3 years. The question is - What to do?! I always say the 3 most important words in business are "I don't know!" Here's to hoping we can figure it out.
I would very much appreciate it if you could provide us with some feedback on our future.
Please fill out the survey below and send any additional thoughts you might have to me directly to <!-- e --><a href="mailto:mike@newburycomics.com">mike@newburycomics.com</a><!-- e -->. Thanks so much for both your honest feedback and your support over all these years!
mike dreese
ceo and co-founder
He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    That's a drag. I remember going to the store on Newbury St. when I was in Boston during spring break (1987?).
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    Sad face
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Nooooooooooooo :cry::cry::cry:

I love Newbury Comics. WBCN and Newbury Comics helped me survive college.
  • Options
    cbrunelle783cbrunelle783 Posts: 1,025
    NOOOOOO!
    Boston 5/17/10
    Tres Mts. 3/27/11
    EV Solo:Providence 6/15/11 Boston 6/16/11 Hartford 6/18/11
    PJ20 9/3/11-9/4/11

Concert Wishlist: I am Mine, Marker in the Sand, Parachutes, In Hiding, All Those Yesterdays, I Got Shit, Long Road, Light Years
  • Options
    Excellent point about BCN. That radio station and Newbury Comics were a staple in my life during my formative years. I think ceo mike dreese is a realist about this whole thing, but is smart enough to find value in some form of his product. And let's be honest, there is a substantial amount of brand loyalty to Newbury Comics. There is a certain niche market (which everyone on this board basically falls into) that's into indie record stores. There will surely be downsizing in the entire organization, but I think the fact that vinyl sales are up 300% in the last 5 years shows that Newbury Comics can still hope to continue. And with the websales accounting for 25% of their overall revenue, there's stability for them I think. I have confidence in a guy like Mr. Dreese because HE GETS IT. The whole business model is built around "We are the independent store" and I would be shocked if the company decided to fold up the operation completely. I think it will continue on, but not the way it is now.

By the way, I wanna know how much revenue is driven from all the other shit that they sell. Like all the bobbleheads and wigs and toys and shit? You cant stay open selling that crap on Newbury Street.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,359
    Ugh. I buy from them (online) all the time. Hopefully they can pull through this.
  • Options
    jshinjshin Posts: 1,759
    Sad... Hopefully they get it figured out.
    Here's another, unfortunately..
    http://www.earx-tacy.com/Home
    I ain't got no fly'n shoes..

• Options
    What is this? Black Tuesday for indie record stores? First the email from Newbury, then Ear-x-tacy, now that other one in SLC in that other thread.