Options

Ben Howard

dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136
edited July 2013 in Other Music
I am not sure how many of you peeps will have heard of this guy called Ben Howard, he's recently been propelled into the mainstream over here in the UK but has been around for a while.
He's been living in my hometown for the last few years so it feels wierd to see him in the charts after seeing him in pubs and at the curry and pint for fiver night at my local beach bar. I really like his stuff, his album is great, it is for me least soothing and honest.
If you like Mumford and Sons, Damien Rice check him out ...

http://www.benhowardmusic.co.uk/music/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzzCthKw_C0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLQaGEI5D2Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADP65wbBUpc
2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    YardenYarden Posts: 820
    he kinda looks like Mike Mccready in the gallery section..
  • Options
    Yarden wrote:
    he kinda looks like Mike Mccready in the gallery section..

Really? I've not seen the resemblance
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • Options
    I must be the only one to like him then :lol:
    He maybe does take a bit of getting used to :D
  • Options
    of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    I just recently stumbled upon his stuff and am absolutely amazed and captivated by his music. He's been on repeat for the past two days. There's somethign so soothing and honest and true about his music.

Getting tickets to see him in September in Chicago. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Nevermind90Nevermind90 Posts: 722
    he is amazing indeed!! been listening a lot to him the last months!!!
    ~ Enjoy The Struggle
  • Options
    eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    Ooh, hadn't seen this thread before! Just as well, though, cause I also hadn't heard of Ben Howard when this thread was originally posted. :lol: (Or maybe I had.. :think: My sense of time is really terrible. Well, doesn't matter!)

What can I say..? I love his stuff! Once I have money, I'm definitely going to buy his album. Oh yeah, all old skool with a real CD an' all. 8-)
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Options
    Yay other people like him too! :D:D
    As I said in my OP he's lived in my town for years and played in pubs etc, then in February came back and played a sold out gig at Hall for Cornwall (think it's about 1500 capacity)
    He's a pretty down to earth guy :D
  • Options
    eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    dottles wrote:
    He's a pretty down to earth guy :D

He seems like he would be. Of course, this is just based on his music and videos. :lol: Which are also amazing!
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Options
    of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    I can't stop listening to his stuff. Especially the stuff from St. Davids from SXSW this past year. Amazing!
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    awesome!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
    im a sucker for just a musician and a guitar. i immediately sensed an affinity in ben's music for some of my own favorite singer songwriters including damien rice. A song like Promise is undeniably beautiful, that simple guitar riff that, and the ending of it, "who am i to you...". breathtaking stuff.
  • Options
    Thierry HenryThierry Henry Posts: 2,654
    Saw a couple of songs on tv from Glastonbury. Very good indeed!
    Will definitely need to hear his album.
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • Options
    Hurrah for more Ben Howard fans!
  • Options
    Just seen this thread and got reminded of ben howard from the glasto footage, I was always a bit unsure on his music personally, I find every kingdom very 'hooky' and a bit poppy for my tastes but that all changed when I heard the burgh island song /EP, I feel like his song-writing has drastically improved and burgh island might be one of the greatest songs ever, just my opinion, glad he's getting an international following!
  • Options
    Just seen this thread and got reminded of ben howard from the glasto footage, I was always a bit unsure on his music personally, I find every kingdom very 'hooky' and a bit poppy for my tastes but that all changed when I heard the burgh island song /EP, I feel like his song-writing has drastically improved and burgh island might be one of the greatest songs ever, just my opinion, glad he's getting an international following!
  • Options

It's just a different aspect to his music - there has always been some songs with a darker edge lyrically. Maybe it's because it's electric rather than acoustic.
  • Options
    musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117

I feel the exact opposite. I see some of his influence as decidedly non pop-Damien Rice and Ben Harper. Ive never really understood the "poppy" and "hooky" are bad sentiments. I want my music that way. As I said in the best songs of 2013 so far thread, my top 4-Latch, Beautiful, Get Lucky, and Blurred Lines, are all mainstream pop songs, but are masterful.

I dont really see quiet acoustic music, singer songwriter stuff as being an overt mainstream move. You dont typically play that music if you want to be the next Kanye.

check out his guitar playing on this video. especially from 3:20 until 4:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ITHG--QRBg
  • Options
    Just down to personal preference really, I feel my first comment came off a bit harsher than I meant it, I do really like ben howard but I just find every kingdom a bit underwhelming and just heard the singles everywhere last summer and was a bit over it, but I love the newest EP, and he is an amazing guitarist.
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,735
    Just discovered Ben Howard in the last couple of days and I am so happy I found him. It happened totally by chance as I was listening to someone else's mix but the second he came on I knew I had to hear more. He is fantastic.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.