Rocksmith

S0nic reducerS0nic reducer Posts: 163
edited December 2011 in Musicians and Gearheads
I picked up Rocksmith for xbox don't know if any of you have herd of it yet but you can plug a real guitar in and play its similar to guitar hero or rock band except your playing a real guitar. I've been playing for about a week now and i must say this game is awesome good songs and cool technique area also has different amps pedals and guitars. If you play or want to play get this game I hope They eventually have some downloadable PJ songs
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    I saw the commercial for this game last night during Beavis and Butthead.

I immediately looked up reviews and it seems like it is being received VERY positively by people who want to play guitar... those who want a video game sometimes give it a bad review.

I have tried to learn guitar by myself numerous times and always hit a block that I cannot pass without some professional help/lessons. Then I get frustrated and take 6 months off.

It looks like this game/program can get me over that block, make playing fun because Ill know a few songs, and train my fingers to move correctly.

I think Im getting it.
  • MayDay10 wrote:
    I saw the commercial for this game last night during Beavis and Butthead.

I immediately looked up reviews and it seems like it is being received VERY positively by people who want to play guitar... those who want a video game sometimes give it a bad review.

I have tried to learn guitar by myself numerous times and always hit a block that I cannot pass without some professional help/lessons. Then I get frustrated and take 6 months off.

It looks like this game/program can get me over that block, make playing fun because Ill know a few songs, and train my fingers to move correctly.
    Get it don't give up this game will help you .
    I think Im getting it.
    thanks. I really want to play. I enjoy it to a point.

But when I am practicing, I cant revert to any decent riffs or songs to make me feel good. Its just crap with no feedback or instruction.

It seems like this game/program could get you acquainted to the guitar and make it enjoyable and past the point of a "beginner".

Then you can probably double back, get a lesson from someone or do research and backfill a lot of the things you miss with this... and also expand and learn songs/tabs on your own.

Im sure there will be a lot of downloadable add-ons and looking at the current selections, I would be shocked if PJ isnt featured with a few songs.
  • I am still debating on whether or not to get this, I am a serious guitar player been playing for 17 years, I have serious equipment, (lespaul, American Strats Marshall jcm 800) etc. anyways have been researching and trying to see if the sound of guitars will sound the same or not (example crappy squire vs US strat) I would like to use this more for messing around instead of having to haul out the stack to do some song writting or quick practice jams I would find it easier to just turn on the PS3 and use that for these situations, but if the guitar tones and sounds would not match up to the quality of the instrument being used then i think I would pass. Any serious players out there have this game or have tried it with different guitars to see how tones sound and differ?
    the game is pretty awesome.

I know I have improved a lot already on the skills the game attempts to teach.

The issue I have which can be considered a good thing too, is the game detects how you are doing, and the second I am doing good and feel good about myself, it throws other things in the mix mid-stream and it makes me feel like a bumbling fool again.

I have played for maybe 4 hours though. Thinking of how it was when i first started, if I went back to that first stage, I dont think I would make any errors after the difficulty ramps up.

Im really trying to take my time too and making personal goals as far as point totals and % before I move on. In the songs, technique challenges, and the mini games.

Regardless, the game is fun for me.

as far as 'serious' players, I read a few reviews. They seem to like the amp possibilities... but as far as gameplay and the songs themselves, they dont really seem to enjoy it. I havent read anything from anyone looking to expand their existing setup... although for $80 you cant really argue too much. The game is geared toward beginners and novices obviously.
  • yeah, i have read about serious players liking amp modes and effects and just using it for jamming alone, Also was wondering if there would be a way to channel the amp/effect modes out through a real amp or cabinet instead of just using the tv speakers or regular stereo, wich I would obviously blow if I was really in the loud jamming mood. Still trying to debate on it, dont wanna buy it and have it sit and collect dust just like guitar hero did, I made the mistake of buying into the hype of that game, playing a fake plastic guitar never really did it for me.
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    I really like this game, got it a few days ago. The only problem I have is that I only have an acoustic / electric. First off there was distortion picking up through the soundhole, so I bought a rubber dampener, fixed that problem. But the other problem is that I can't hear what tones are being played over the acoustic since it doesn't completely muffle the sound played. I tried turning the tv up but still heard the acoustic. I don't have a home stereo and the tv doesn't have a headphone jack so I can't do it that way either. I guess I'll have to suffer through it while practicing.
    yup.

I have played for a week. It gets more and more enjoyable to play. I played for a nice block of 2 1/2 hours last night and had to force myself to stop.

I have already broken through a few blocks I never could surpass previously. In the scale of the game I am improving.
    They do need a patch though. The song/section repeater practice modes are a bit poorly designed.
    It feels good though when you 'hit' on something.
    Itll absolutely be necessary to backfill with alternate lessons such as Justinguitar.

This game is great though. This is definitely the teaching tool many have been waiting for. Anyone who owns a PS3 or XBox 360 and has an electric guitar sitting around unloved needs to get this.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    A buddy of mine bought this game last night - can't wait to try it out
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
    from what I have read, experienced guitarists get a little crossed up by it and dont enjoy it all that much. It starts you out at the beginner's level, everything is locked, etc. So it is monotonous for them.
    However, you can go to settings and jack the difficulties up to 100%
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    Thinking about getting this for PS3. Does anyone know if you can use the game strictly for an amp to play other songs not on the game? I heard there are a few amp options...
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I've had the game for several weeks, but have yet to open the box. :oops:

I should have some more free time now that the snow is starting to fall. I'm looking forward to finally playing my electric again!
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    Just picked this up the other day. It really is a cool game to play and learn guitar.
  • Why_GoWhy_Go Posts: 87
    Have any of you had problems with sound delay or any type of lag? that's the only thing holding me back from buying Rocksmith.
    my eyes peeled both wide open, and i got a glimpse
    of my innocence... got back my inner sense...
  • Why_Go wrote:
    Have any of you had problems with sound delay or any type of lag? that's the only thing holding me back from buying Rocksmith.

The game comes with a suggested setup guide. It says to run your audio through a reciever and not to use an HDMI cable. Converting the audio from your guitar to digital sound leads to delay and lag. After running the audio through my receiver and using headphones, there's little to no delay.

I consider myself a novice player, and it can be slow in the lower levels. Now that I'm starting to see chords, I'm enjoying it a lot more. It feels more like you're practicing guitar than playing a game, which is the selling point for me. It's a lot of fun, and I recommend it. I hope to see some PJ songs on there soon.
    I had to reconfigure my setup a bit to cut the lag. It wasnt too difficult and there is no lag.
  • uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    If I can find this for cheap, I may give it a shot. I play guitar somewhat well (or so I tell myself), but a little tutoring never hurt anyone.
  • mcthudmcthud Posts: 366
    I've been playing around with this game for a couple of weeks now and really enjoy it. I've already gained a lot from playing and have started to apply my new skils to playing other songs without the game.

So far I've really enjoyed learning Panic Switch and noodling around with the little jam they do during the opeining sequence. Fun little riffs to jam around on. :)
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    Can you play more than one guitar at a time on this? What about a bass and a guitar?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1