I can finally root for Theo

BronyBrony Posts: 631
edited October 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
thank you Cubbies, hated to admit it up until now, but you got yourselves one talented GM
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Go cubbies! :D
  • BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,408
    I'm not a fan of the leisure activity many people watch called baseball. But here's my two cents based on what I've heard on sports talk shows and glancing through the daily sports pages......

What makes Theo such a good GM ? Is it because during his time as the Red Sox's GM he was able splash more money on his players than every other team in the leisure leagues except for the Yankees ?

'just my opinion here... Epstein and Cashman may very well have two of the easiest jobs in the leisure leagues.... spend as much money as you want on building a team and conceivably face no threats made upon your job security when your team doesn't win the leisure playoffs - even though the teams you lose against have a payroll that is maybe half that of your own .... wow.

Being a GM of a real sports team is a dream job and for that I only envy guys like Epstein and Cashman, I don't think they deserve any praise whatsoever. They have connections. Any person with average intelligence and sports/league acumen could be a GM.

Enjoy the leisure series - how can people really justify refering to this series as the 'world' series - really ?

Get some hockey in your lives. Have a great night. Keep playing that Pearl Jam.
  • CH156378CH156378 Posts: 1,539
    BF89905 wrote:
    I'm not a fan of the leisure activity many people watch called baseball. But here's my two cents based on what I've heard on sports talk shows and glancing through the daily sports pages......

What makes Theo such a good GM ? Is it because during his time as the Red Sox's GM he was able splash more money on his players than every other team in the leisure leagues except for the Yankees ?

'just my opinion here... Epstein and Cashman may very well have two of the easiest jobs in the leisure leagues.... spend as much money as you want on building a team and conceivably face no threats made upon your job security when your team doesn't win the leisure playoffs - even though the teams you lose against have a payroll that is maybe half that of your own .... wow.

Being a GM of a real sports team is a dream job and for that I only envy guys like Epstein and Cashman, I don't think they deserve any praise whatsoever. They have connections. Any person with average intelligence and sports/league acumen could be a GM.

Enjoy the leisure series - how can people really justify refering to this series as the 'world' series - really ?

:lol: the hockey part
  • BF89905 wrote:
    What makes Theo such a good GM ?
    He rebuilt the entire Red Sox farm system, drafting players like Dustin Pedroia, Daniel Bard, Jonathan Papelbon and Jacoby Ellsbury. He convinced Curt Schilling at Thanksgiving dinner to play for Boston for less than what he could have gotten elsewhere. He was smart enough to let Pedro go. To trade Nomar. He was able to sign Youkilis and Pedroia and Lester long-term for club-friendly deals. He made some brilliant decisions for the team that allowed us to win two world series....That being said, you are correct, he was given a blank check to sign some of these free agents, and most of them failed horribly. Perhaps he will choose his free agent signings wisely in Chicago. I wish him all the best. I'll be there when Pearl Jam plays Wrigley.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    BF89905 wrote:

I don't really care about Theo, the Red Sox or the Cubs. But in baseball (or other sports) it takes more than just a blank check to win a championship. If that's all it took the Yankees would win it every year. Since you're a hockey fan, think back to the New York Rangers, I think it was back in '03-'04 season, or some time around there. They put together this supposedly great team with all these big name players and an insane payroll, and didn't even make the playoffs, much less win the Leisure Cup.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
    BF89905 wrote:
    What makes Theo such a good GM ?
    He rebuilt the entire Red Sox farm system, drafting players like Dustin Pedroia, Daniel Bard, Jonathan Papelbon and Jacoby Ellsbury. He convinced Curt Schilling at Thanksgiving dinner to play for Boston for less than what he could have gotten elsewhere. He was smart enough to let Pedro go. To trade Nomar. He was able to sign Youkilis and Pedroia and Lester long-term for club-friendly deals. He made some brilliant decisions for the team that allowed us to win two world series....That being said, you are correct, he was given a blank check to sign some of these free agents, and most of them failed horribly. Perhaps he will choose his free agent signings wisely in Chicago. I wish him all the best. I'll be there when Pearl Jam plays Wrigley.

Some good points.
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    Brony wrote:
    thank you Cubbies, hated to admit it up until now, but you got yourselves one talented GM

Oh for second there I actually though someone may be rooting for me. ;)
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
    I don't really care about Theo, the Red Sox or the Cubs. But in baseball (or other sports) it takes more than just a blank check to win a championship. If that's all it took the Yankees would win it every year. Since you're a hockey fan, think back to the New York Rangers, I think it was back in '03-'04 season, or some time around there. They put together this supposedly great team with all these big name players and an insane payroll, and didn't even make the playoffs, much less win the Leisure Cup.

A good example. The Rangers have quite the reputation for issuing ridiculous contracts to point-per-game players or worst ..... see Gomez, Drury, Holik, Redden, Gaborik, Richards. When on their games, Gaborik and Richards are all-stars. Drury was a good player who had some great games. Gomez has been a second or third line lpayer the past three years looking at his play.... this year thus far no better. But hey, if the money's offered to you, you'd take it too.

What would be great for society is if the fans, on a collective level, refused to pay ridiculous face value ticket prices so that way GM's can not operate with blank check authority and athletes are not multi,multi-millionaires.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,432
    BF89905 wrote:
    What would be great for society is if the fans, on a collective level, refused to pay ridiculous face value ticket prices so that way GM's can not operate with blank check authority and athletes are not multi,multi-millionaires.

would it also be great for society if fans didn't pay ridiculous prices for concerts, movies, dvd/blue-rays, posters and other under delivered merchandise of a musical group making them multi-millionaires? just checking to see if you are just against athletes or pick and choose your multi-millionaires.
  • :clap:
    pjhawks wrote:
    BF89905 wrote:

would it also be great for society if fans didn't pay ridiculous prices for concerts, movies, dvd/blue-rays, posters and other under delivered merchandise of a musical group making them multi-millionaires? just checking to see if you are just against athletes or pick and choose your multi-millionaires.