Just learnt about my convict ancestor...

pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
edited October 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Quite fascinating really....

He was sentenced to death in England, for some reason he was spared but sent to Australia as a convict... where he was later emancipated. So if he was hanged, well, you wouldn't be reading this, that's for sure....

Then his son married an Irish girl who had came from Ireland when she was 4. Her journey to Australia was treacherous as 70 of the 400 people died on the way... including her widowed mother.

I just found this out, amazing really... For me anyway... probably not for you...
Sydney 11/02/2003
Sydney 14/02/2003
Sydney 07/11/2006
Sydney 18/11/2006
Sydney 22/11/2009
EV Sydney 18/03/2011
EV Sydney 19/03/2011
EV Sydney 20/03/2011
Melbourne 24/01/2014
Sydney 26/01/2014
EV Sydney 13/02/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    Hmmmmm.....

My girlfriend keeps trying to tell me that Australia isn't full of these convicts..............I suppose I believe her enough, I moved here to be with her!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • stardust1976stardust1976 Posts: 1,301
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    Hmmmmm.....

My girlfriend keeps trying to tell me that Australia isn't full of these convicts..............I suppose I believe her enough, I moved here to be with her!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

We aren't ALL convicts!!! Just those from ol' Sydney town! hehehehe :D:D
  • My great grandfather killed 5 wolves with his bare hands in his village back in the old country.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    My great grandfather killed 5 wolves with his bare hands in his village back in the old country.

MAte, I've harpooned a few whales in my time, but I think we're on a different page..
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    pjfan31 wrote:
    Quite fascinating really....

He was sentenced to death in England, for some reason he was spared but sent to Australia as a convict... where he was later emancipated. So if he was hanged, well, you wouldn't be reading this, that's for sure....

Then his son married an Irish girl who had came from Ireland when she was 4. Her journey to Australia was treacherous as 70 of the 400 people died on the way... including her widowed mother.

I just found this out, amazing really... For me anyway... probably not for you...
    no, for me too!

love these stories and tracing my family tree, thanks for sharing! :D
  • It is always fun to read stuff like this. As a historian I often make an extra buck, helping people trace their ancestors. And it never gets old for me to see people's reactions when they realize what sort of folks they are realted to, even if it just are "simple" peasants or bearded ladies - yes.

Once there was a lady whose greatgreatgrandfather immigrated to Australia (we think, he might have been 'asked' to go there). She thought it was a funny story untill it dawned on her; she wasn't Australian, so how could this be? ... Well maybe he left his wife behind here in Denmark.
    Have fun, walk hard and stay alive.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    My great grandfather killed 5 wolves with his bare hands in his village back in the old country.

Puppies?
  • voidofmanvoidofman Posts: 4,009
    Hairy Dane wrote:
    Once there was a lady whose greatgreatgrandfather immigrated to Australia (we think, he might have been 'asked' to go there). She thought it was a funny story until it dawned on her; she wasn't Australian, so how could this be? ... Well maybe he left his wife behind here in Denmark.
    That's great :lol:

Wait, my ancestors weren't born in America / Canada?! :cry:
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    Hmmmmm.....

easy now. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • stardust1976stardust1976 Posts: 1,301

easy now. 8-)

Hehehe, sorry Cate. It's all in good fun...I was born in Sydney you know ;)

easy now. 8-)

Hehehe, sorry Cate. It's all in good fun...I was born in Sydney you know ;)

Hey snap! So was i. Hahaha
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    A death sentence seems a little harsh for just stealing bread. After all, isn't that what ALL your ancestors got sent there for? ;)
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    pjfan31 wrote:
    MAte, I've harpooned a few whales in my time

Sounds like my college days.

Wait

Errr

Nevermind.

;)
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
    A death sentence seems a little harsh for just stealing bread. After all, isn't that what ALL your ancestors got sent there for? ;)

my ancestors came here by choice. and umm no... transportation wasnt a death sentence. :P
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    Very cool 8-) I, too, find this stuff fascinating :ugeek:

I just found out that my great-grandfather and great-grandmother were bootleggers during American prohibition. So now I've got bootleggers on both sides :shock: That may explain my moral ambiguity about some things :? ;):D
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    Very cool 8-) I, too, find this stuff fascinating :ugeek:

I just found out that my great-grandfather and great-grandmother were bootleggers during American prohibition. So now I've got bootleggers on both sides :shock: That may explain my moral ambiguity about some things :? ;):D
    my great grandmother was a bootlegger too....... bathtub gin
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    My great great grandfather was a bootlegger too! His wife got shot, then he dropped a rock on the guys head from a tree. That guy was never seen again...
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V