taking a trip

....Shackles31........Shackles31.... Posts: 272
edited October 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Going north to Canada and was wondering if you can spend US currency there or if it has to be changed at the airport/border? Any help would be appreciated.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I know some places do. I was in Montreal last month for the PJ show and the venue and surrounding bars and restaurants were taking US currency from others but I used my credit card for everything.
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    MR151287 wrote:
    Going north to Canada and was wondering if you can spend US currency there or if it has to be changed at the airport/border? Any help would be appreciated.

Every time I have been to Canada they accepted my American dollars.
  • you'll need to change it. Some places may, but most don't, and you wouldn't want to be stuck. Just go to your bank one day before you leave and change some so you won't have to worry about finding somewhere to change your money as soon as you get there.

Have a good trip :D
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    When I read the thread title I thought you referred to something else :lol:

I recommend taking your credit card with you if you have one. It's the easiest way to pay ...
    Have a good trip!
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Leeze wrote:

I recommend taking your credit card with you if you have one. It's the easiest way to pay ...
    Have a good trip!

Yeah but they really fuck you with charges.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Leeze wrote:

:lol::clap: :thumbup:
  • Leeze wrote:

Have a good trip!

Yeah but they really fuck you with charges.

The banks and the currency exchanges charge you fees to exchange also...I don't recall the exact fees I paid but I do remember the credit card being more economical while in Canada last month for PJ.

Plus, using a credit card you can be sure that you don't end up with left over canadian dollars that you have to exchange back into US dollars (thus paying more fees).

Its good to have some pocket money exchanged--no one wants to charge a bottle of water or a short cab ride, but I think the CC is the way to go.
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
  • m0jorisenm0jorisen Posts: 516
    This is the best part of the trip, This is the trip, the best part
    I really like
    Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse
    Of my innocence... got back my inner sense...