Airbnb . . . has anyone used it?

FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
edited October 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
And if you have, what was your experience like? I'm looking to book a place in Marseille. The pictures of the place look great and the reviews seem good. Is it all too good to be true? :? :P
"What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,339
    edited October 2011
    I have used it on my US and Canada trip in September. I stayed with very nice people in Chicago and had an awesome week with wonderful people in Toronto. I paid $35 per night in Toronto during the week of the film festival :D and would definitely use airbnb again! Good thing is that you can see pics of the place, read reviews and get in touch with people before you book. My places looked like in the pics.

Good luck :)
    Post edited by Leezestarr313 on
  • -Emma--Emma- Sydney, Australia Posts: 2,864
    I haven't personally, but family members of mine have :) . Their most recent experience was fantastic...they were welcomed by the host with a homemade cake, bagels, wine and beer.
    PJ: Sydney, 11th February 2003 ♥ Sydney, 26th January 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 20th March 2011 ♥ EV: Perth, 7th February 2014 ♥ EV: Perth, 8th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 11th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 12th February 2014 ♥ EV: Sydney, 13th February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 22nd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 23rd February 2014 ♥ EV: Brisbane, 25th February 2014 ♥

Eddie Vedder Tribute Videos - Playlist
    The EDvolution of Dance: youtu.be/-HtF3gRYHnE
    eddievedderhallpass.tumblr.com
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    Thanks ladies :D The place that I'm thinking of booking looks amazing; but I'm kinda freaking myself out right now reading about crime levels in Marseille :? :oops:
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,339
    Thanks ladies :D The place that I'm thinking of booking looks amazing; but I'm kinda freaking myself out right now reading about crime levels in Marseille :? :oops:

Don't! Just be careful like you would be in any other big town and nothing will happen to you ;) I spent three weeks travelling Chicago, Toronto and Detroit on my own (well okay, I met lots of nice people while doing it, but still - I traveled alone) and nothing happened to me. Check before, don't go to the special areas, especially not at night, and you will be fine.
    Sounds like a good trip :thumbup:
  • myramyra Posts: 1,257
    Leeze wrote:

Don't! Just be careful like you would be in any other big town and nothing will happen to you ;) I spent three weeks travelling Chicago, Toronto and Detroit on my own (well okay, I met lots of nice people while doing it, but still - I traveled alone) and nothing happened to me. Check before, don't go to the special areas, especially not at night, and you will be fine.
    Sounds like a good trip :thumbup:

That's very true ! I sent you a long (I didn't realize it was that long before I pressed submit :shock: ) PM just a minute ago. There are indeed a few areas you'll want to avoid because they are unsafe. Just like in any big cities. Don't let the 'Marseille is dangerous, you'll get mugged at every corner' speech we tend to hear a lot these days put you off. Just be reasonably careful, don't freak out when strangers talk to you (they will), smile, be polite and you'll be fine. :D I never, ever had anything happened to me. And God knows I haven't been always careful and I've walked around or driven through areas that are supposed to be unsafe on many many occasions.

Just checked the place you're considering booking. It is indeed amazing ! And the location is great. You'll feel safe there, both during the day and at night. And I wouldn't say this for all the other places that are available on this site (namely, there are a couple there where I wouldn't recommend leaving totally carefree at night).
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    Thanks guys :D Generally I'm an aware tourist, not a nervous one, but the press/warnings made me think I was taking a holiday in Khandahar ;) :? :D

Thanks myra for your amazing PM. I will PM you back later, just heading out the door for a meeting this afternoon.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i used it in 3 cities(LA, NYC seattle) on this trip of mine and all i can say is ill be doing it again. 3 positives.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Englewood :? :lol:

don't book the cheapest place in chicago....that's all i gotta say
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg