Options

Why?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Great post Gov.. Couldn't agree more.
    MSG 9/11/98, MSG 7/8/03, THE BORGATA 10/1/05, ALBANY 5/12/06,
    CHICAGO 5/16 and 5/17/06, BOSTON 5/24 and 5/25/06, JERSEY 6/1 and 6/3/06
    PITTSBURGH 6/23/06, JERSEY 5/18/10, MSG 5/20/10, EV BEACON NY 6/22/11, PJ20 9/3/11 and 9/4/11 (THE ABBEY).
  • Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,075
    Welcome to the board...I see you're from Minnesota...might I suggest you follow us here? ;)

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=171885
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    sickofitsickofit Norway Posts: 780
    A bloody great first post!! :thumbup:

Welcome to the "pit" ;) You're absolutely right but I think almost all on here will agree with you that, all said & done, it is all about the music and the unexplainable experience of being at a live PJ gig (they may be clinging on to a sealed Benny vinyl or that blasted backpak at the time, but they'd still admit it all the same :lol: )

If ever there's a complaint about missing out on merch it's only cuz we probably don't have anyone in "real life" to whine to who would understand what it's like ;) And, if u're like me, limited edition/special merch that one has missed out on is worth crying over cuz you would never hand your hard-earned over to a flipper and had very much intended to hand it down to your little one who's still too young but bops along to PJ anyway :)

So take it all with a pinch of salt, otherwise the bitching will suck you in :mrgreen:
    if I keep holding out,.... will the light shine through?
  • Options
    UmbertotambaUmbertotamba Posts: 1,382
    Gov wrote:
    First post ever.......

I am writing this post to those that seem to have a problem with the ten club and / or Pearl Jam. I grew up in Chicago through some very hard times, mainly affecting my parents. Music seemed to be my escape, mostly listening to what my older siblings and neighbors listened to. The Police, The Dead, The Ramones, The Who, etc...and then one day, I found my band. In 1991, my sophomore year of high school, I was blessed with a song that turned all of my music interests upside down. I heard Alive on one of the Chicago stations, and immediately felt that this is my music. Nothing glam, nothing old and certainly nothing that had ever been done before.

I bought the Ten album the next morning - skipping class. I listened to Ten in its entirety, at least five times that day. Many of the emotions that I dealt with in my years were addressed in the album. I finally felt a bond with music that I had never felt before. Many of my friends at the time were listening to Skid Row, Motley Crue, Poison, etc...with no lyrical sense or meaning. I finally found something that I had been longing for...music that spoke to me.

I saw Pearl Jam for the first time in 1992 - on my 16th birthday at the Metro. Holy shit! It was unbelievable. I will never forget that show, as I skipped my drivers test to hang out at the metro waiting for the best band ever to play the first chords of Release. It was at that time that I realized that there was no band better - in the past, in the present or in the future.

I have seen PJ many, many times throughout the years, travelling back in forth from Minneapolis (home now) to Chicago, to Wisconsin, to Cali, to DC, to where ever else the road / wave takes me. The music - please, it is the music that has brought us here (not the goods, or limited t-shirts, posters, dvds, etc), the music means something to all of us. It will always be our bond. Although I have never met any of you, I feel at home any time I see our favorite band walk on to stage and bust out the first note. What those five individuals put together back in 1991 and continued during the last 20 years is special. Just look at any other band that has been around that long - or better yet look at new bands these days that have a little bit of promise - they don't really compare (in my opinion).

Anyway, my point is this...Pearl Jam is a band that speaks to those that want to hear them. They do what they do for us. They do what they do for the greater good of music. They do what they do because they care. And lastly, they do what they do, because that is what they want to do. I am tired of reading this board to see complaints about stuff that was produced as a privilege to us as fans. We do not deserve anything - we are fans of a fucking awesome band - and that is it. Our privilege is the music. We are blessed each year with concerts - near or fucking far away. It is our choice to travel or not. Regardless, we are rewarded with bootlegs to share an experience that we could not be present for...

Well, my time is up...I have spent way too much time on a first post. I hope those that read this put things in perspective before complaining. We are lucky to have seen Pearl Jam live, the material stuff is a nice to have and that is all. Cheers to the music and long live PJ.

Amen Brother!! Sing it loud & sing it proud!!!!

Welcome to the boards...please post more!!!!
    Springfield MA 94, Hartford CT 96
  • Options
    animusanimus Twin Cities area Posts: 530
    Well said and its always good to remind oneself that we're extremely lucky to have PJ and the Ten Club. Welcome and its great to have another Twin Cities fan in here.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    bump
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”