I purchased a record player I can afford

ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
edited October 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
thumbnail.aspx?q=1305742939444&id=c6469222b0f844cb968b1e6b7b999d85&url=http%3a%2f%2fs.ecrater.com%2fstores%2f77349%2f4b81e97dde470_77349n.jpg

Well, I did it. I bought a record player for my son.

It came with 5 (five) coloured records, that have 2 songs each. It all plastic construction and works on 3 AA batteries. It even has a handy storage compartment for the records. It is a vintage replica of the one I used to own as a wee lass. It's none other than the Fisher Price Record Player.

Track Listing as follows:
#1 - Humpty Dumpty - Jack and Jill
#2 - Twinkle twinkle little star - Au clair de la lune
#3 - London bridge - Oh where has my little dog gone?
#4 - Camptown races - Children's marching song
#5 - Hickory dickory doc - Edelweiss

I remember playing mine at birthday parties when I was very little, and loving it. I was the coolest DJ on my street. Well, at least in my mind. Maybe I can get him hooked so I can really start a decent vinyl collection to pass on to him. (One that does not contain the Smurfs Christmas on 45.)

thumbnail.aspx?q=1292596491977&id=e2966883694b9b062d3ce47d992956d8&url=http%3a%2f%2fedgecastcdn.net%2f800034%2fwww.perpetualkid.com%2fproductimages%2flg2%2fRTRO-1607.jpg

And no, it will not stay in the box. I feel toys are made to enjoy! :mrgreen:

What's your favourite toy that you wish you could have again, (either for collecting or to let your child play with)?
Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    can you shimmy to that?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    It will play the holiday single, yes/no?
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    81 wrote:
    can you shimmy to that?

Why yes, I can!! I can even belly dance to PJ. :mrgreen:
    It will play the holiday single, yes/no?

I am searching for the PJ Fisher Price holiday record....in WHITE!!! :lol:
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Shimmy that is the coolest thing ever :clap:
    I had one and can't believe they are still available,especially for today's kids,with all the multimedia shit available to them,great to get back to the simplest things.
    My friends 4 year old has an ipod :? which needs no human interaction for her to use and shuts her of from the world

Well done for going for funfunfun :D
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
    stargirl69 wrote:
    Shimmy that is the coolest thing ever :clap:
    I had one and can't believe they are still available,especially for today's kids,with all the multimedia shit available to them,great to get back to the simplest things.
    My friends 4 year old has an ipod :? which needs no human interaction for her to use and shuts her of from the world

Well done for going for funfunfun :D

Thank you! You are right, it the exact reason I really enjoy those types of toys. :mrgreen:

So, anyone have a favourite toy they wished they could get now?
  • So, anyone have a favourite toy they wished they could get now?

i had a talking kitt car with action figure michael that i thought was the bees-knees. i think its still somewhere in my mom's attic.

i read a great article about how fisher price has re-released a bunch of these oldies but goodies, a lot of other companies have done similar thinks like reissuing the same product with packaging from the 80's (doritos, pepsi, etc...) with the hopes that they can rekindle some fond old memories and sell some more of their product. i may or may not have fallen victim to such marketing ploys:)
  • my little sis did a Christmas Gift giving 3 or 4 years ago where she gave everyone on the family a favorite item that we received when we were kids.
    I got a silly 'Tin Can Alley' target practice thing. I must have been 4 or 5 when I got it for Christmas the first time. Laughed like crazy at my gift and the gifts others received.
    Very cool idea on her part!

If I had a kid I would let them play with that I suppose.

Would it have been too crazy an answer in this digital/mtv age to say ' a book?'
    :lol:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • NamiNami Posts: 5,995
    Shimmy u r nuts :D

I cant see you scratch those records making awesome beats....

cheers

I like to have my whole lego collection back.. dang built some crazy things..
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
    CaptainB, it's the first time I have fallen for a marketing ploy really hard...I have such fond memories of the player...the all flooded back as soon as I looked at it. It was my player, not my brother's, so it was the first real thing I felt I owned. :mrgreen: I also found a bunch of really old toys in a box in my storage room...such fond memories...I am going to clean a certain toy and give to my brother when his first child arrives next week. It's gonna be so great. :mrgreen:

F Me In The Brain, you have now given me a great idea for Christmas!! Please thank your sister. And... as for the "book"...you can get these books to give:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4U8jlhc ... r_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGrkACuW6YI

:lol::lol::lol:

Nami, I DID scratch the records, while my brother beatboxed! :lol: Lego...hmmm not too long before I gotta start getting those for our little guy... :think: Having a kid is AWESOME!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    BTW, I waited ever so patiently for my hubby to come home this evening so we could all be there when it was opened. Our son LOVES it, he was bopping along to the songs, smiling and laughing while he was sitting with me. He was all about flipping the records and dropping the needle. That's like the best moment ever. :mrgreen:

Anyone else have childhood toys they loved, that they wish they could share with their kids?
  • I hear Camptown Races is gonna be on Uke Songs 2. Great song.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    my mom always talks about how much i loved the ficher price record player that my sister had.... i don't remember but apparantly i've always had a thing for music 8-)
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i got this for christmas in like 1976

fp820-player1.jpg

and the first record i ever bought was
    photobucket-3048-1319259928022.jpg

:mrgreen:
    norm wrote:
    i got this for christmas in like 1976

fp820-player1.jpg

and the first record i ever bought was
    photobucket-3048-1319259928022.jpg

:mrgreen:

That is so cool! That's the next type of player I would get my little guy. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Which record is that, (I can only make out ORLEANS) and is it the original one? (I am not being a smart ass)
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I'll make you a trade for that Humpty Dumpty/Jack And Jill record

Metallica.jpg
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Which record is that, (I can only make out ORLEANS) and is it the original one? (I am not being a smart ass)

yep, orleans 'still the one'...that is the original 45 i bought :D
    I'll make you a trade for that Humpty Dumpty/Jack And Jill record

Metallica.jpg

I'd be down with that...but my holy grail is...I really do have it on CD...it's sounds just like FP Music Box!

9674_lrg_1.jpg

http://www.rockabyebabymusic.com/ecom2/ ... l-jam.html
    norm wrote:

yep, orleans 'still the one'...that is the original 45 i bought :D

That is so cool!! I love that song!! Really, I do!! :mrgreen: We listen to all variations of Rock in my home...classic to alternative...geez, we listen to everything... 8-)
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    anyword on the shimmy tubes?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    Nice! I had the Fisher Price Record Player when I was a wee lad back in the late 70's/early 80's, and I got my first real record player when I was 8 ('84). My first LP was the Jungle Book soundtrack!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,812
    kenny olav wrote:
    Nice! I had the Fisher Price Record Player when I was a wee lad back in the late 70's/early 80's, and I got my first real record player when I was 8 ('84). My first LP was the Jungle Book soundtrack!

i had one of those too :lol:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • iamicaiamica Posts: 2,628
    Dang, I had one of those, I used to love that thing.
    I wonder what happened to it...my brother probably broke it when he was a toddler. :?
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016