It's the end of the world today......or maybe not.

8181 Posts: 58,276
edited December 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
OAKLAND, Calif. — If there's a Rapture and no billboard announces it, has the world really ended?

Yes, or probably, according to the Oakland, Calif.-based Family Radio ministry and its leader Harold Camping, who are sticking to their latest prediction that the world will end — for real this time, well maybe — Friday.

Harold Camping Camping originally foresaw a cataclysmic rolling earthquake-spawned Doomsday on May 21, and his nonprofit spent millions of dollars proselytizing with the Armageddon on billboards, a fleet of RVs, radio stations and throughout the worldwide media.

Camping became one of the most popular web searches in the days before the end, and the butt of jokes, particularly after the world survived the day.

Five months later, Camping, now 90, and his believers have not lost faith, but they have kept it to themselves.

The billboards have disappeared, the evangelical caravan parked, followers have folded up their End of Days sandwich boards, and Camping, recovering from a stroke at his Alameda, Calif., home, and his ministry have kept quiet.

“We have no comments for the media,” a friendly Family Radio operator said Friday. “We're not doing that any more.”

“Family Stations, Inc. has no comment concerning October 21,” wrote spokesman Thomas Evans in an email. “Our media response was made back in May.”

Camping's home phone number has been disconnected.

A woman answering the door at Camping's house Monday said he was not seeing anyone and politely closed the door.

The End of the World notwithstanding, 2010 tax returns show the Oakland-based nonprofit now has assets of more than $104.8 million, up more than $30 million from the year before.

Donations soared in the months before the expected end in May, and the nonprofit dumped millions of dollars into more than 5,000 billboards worldwide, but those figures will not be public until next year.

The nonprofit owns several dozen radio stations across the globe, but Camping stopped his weekday broadcast of Open Forum religious programming after his June 9 stroke. Camping recorded a message to his followers in recent weeks.

“I'm still a long ways away from being healed, but there is progress being made,” says Camping, his normal gravelly voice now slurred.

In the six-minute message, Camping addresses the mistakes of May 21 and the expectations for Friday, which will not come with the global earthquake he previously predicted.

“There's a lot of things that we didn't have quite right and that's God's good provision,” he says. “I really am beginning to think as I restudy these matters that there's going to be no big display of any kind. The end is going to come very, very quietly, probably within the next month. It will happen that is by Oct. 21.”

The once resolute Camping's use of words such as “probably” has led to seeming crisis of faith among his adherents in a Yahoo chat room dedicated to all things Family Radio and Rapture.

“This is so confusing. One person says that October 21st is guaranteed, another person (Mr. Camping) says that it's a ‘possibility,“’ one chat room member rants. “Which is it? What do we really believe? What do we stand for? … Either we believe what we preach or we don't. … I'm telling you, if nothing happens on October 21st, I'm ending it all. I'm done. I'm through. And Family Radio is to blame.”

Another responded: “What do YOU believe in? Why is this even worth discussing? If its God's will, then it will happen. If its not, we continue on living. All the proof points to this date, but maybe God didn't want to reveal everything?”

And a third went after both of them: “When you wake up on October 22nd wondering what the hell didn't happen, I hope you guys can realize that and let your misplaced faith be corrected by true faith in Christ and what the Bible was ACTUALLY meant for. Here's a hint: it's no cosmic countdown calendar of doom. Wake up. Wake up. Wake up. You are living in a land of make-believe.”

Camping, who also survived his 1994 Doomsday prediction, explains the May 21 false end in a Family Radio website link: “What Happened on May 21?”

Fourteen paragraphs illustrate how May 21 was the end of “God's salvation program” and in the subsequent five months the world has been under God's final judgment.

The passages also explain how the group mistook the word “earthquake” for a geologic event when it actually meant mankind would shake with fear.
81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    but PJ 20 is gona be on PBS.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    edited October 2011
    but PJ 20 is gona be on PBS.

it's a sign :shock:

Pearl Jam is the devil. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    wow, and all we do on this board is complain about limited issue merchandise and tickets. They are debating the end of the world on their forum. Makes me feel so insignificant :(
    edited October 2011
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    wow, and all we do on this board is complain about limited issue merchandise and tickets. They are debating the end of the world on their forum. Makes me feel so insignificant :(

you wanna go join thier forum

http://www.forumjar.com/forums/topic/34324
    Post edited by 81 on
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    81 wrote:

The End of the World notwithstanding, 2010 tax returns show the Oakland-based nonprofit now has assets of more than $104.8 million, up more than $30 million from the year before.
    :shock: that's a lot of money that could be going to help those struggling to live their lives,
    what a terrible waste
    pandora wrote:
    81 wrote:

:shock: that's a lot of money that could be going to help those struggling to live their lives,
    what a terrible waste

yup...people are stupid
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

thinking about it. could be fun. do you think they have a holiday single? limited edition backpacks? maybe they are offering free shipping after Oct 21 for all pre-ordered merchandise
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

thinking about it. could be fun. do you think they have a holiday single? limited edition backpacks? maybe they are offering free shipping after Oct 21 for all pre-ordered merchandise

81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    Shit, I was looking forward to Oktoberfest Saturday and the club I belong to. Not too often my life gives me a day of drinking. Maybe I'll hide somewhere tomorrow.

And Saturday is Off Ramp day.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
    81 wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    81 wrote:

Oh well...........

Request Blocked by URL Filter Database

Your request to URL "http://www.forumjar.com/forums/topic/34324" has been blocked by the McAfee Web Gateway URL Filter Database. The URL is listed under categories (Parked Domain), which are not allowed by your administrator at this time. The following reputation level was assigned to it: Unverified.
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    I guess that's alright, I didn't have any plans this weekend anyway. :lol:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    Between this and the pending Zombie apocalypse, I have no idea what to do
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    PEARL JAM TWENTY IS ON TOMORROW ON PBS!!

OH JOY!!! OH RAPTURE!!!!

Wait...isn't this the PJ20 movie countdown thread?? :shifty:
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    good thing i took tomorow off...
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Well then I'm glad I didn't fork out all that money for Bridge this weekend. :lol:
  • oh,good to know..need to shave "them" for this
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    oh,good to know..need to shave "them" for this
    :lol:
    hmmm...should i start packing?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    Well that's just as well
    oh,good to know..need to shave "them" for this

do what now?
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    ...but 10c didn't ship me my zombie shirt yet! I just can't 'go'!
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    TONIGHT IS PJ 20 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

THATS ALL THAT MATTERS....
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    So.. what time is this going to happen?
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...

11:59:59 pm EDT
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    And I feel fine.......
    #FHP
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Rollings wrote:

11:59:59 pm EDT

AM or PM?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
    What time in Ohio - :?: :) I thought it was 9 pm est. Anyone near me that knows...
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,849
    mikalina wrote:
    What time in Ohio - :?: :) I thought it was 9 pm est. Anyone near me that knows...
    yeah the movie is on at 9. Check yor local listings for channel. PBS "American Masters" series.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:
    mikalina wrote:
    yeah the movie is on at 9. Check yor local listings for channel. PBS "American Masters" series.

Thank you,..
  • supadupasupadupa Posts: 377
    Well, I'll be at my friend's birthday/Halloween party when the world ends, so at least my wish of dying while dressed as a pirate will come true.