Options

Check out this pre-Ten Alive / Wash demo tape

VedHeadVedHead Rockford,IL,USA Posts: 407
edited January 2012 in Lost Dogs
Check out this pre-Ten-release of Alive / Wash demo cassette recorded on January 29, 1991 which was up for auction on the bay. I hesitate to even post a link below, but since the auction was taken down early I figured it is okay per the posting guidelines. BTW I am not the seller but I emailed him/her for more information and found that s/he recently found it at a flea market for $10. The auction was later ended early by the seller after doing a little more research (and finding the second link provided below) stating that s/he simply wanted to hang onto this "I may sell it in the future, but for now I'm holding on to this prime piece of memorabilia!". I can't say that I blame him/her.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230687696379?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.twofeetthick.com/2011/07/on-the-porch-a-letter-sat-pearl-jams-first-fan-club-newsletter/

http://www.twofeetthick.com/2011/03/how-did-mookie-blaylock-become-pearl-jam/

http://www.pjcollectors.com/detail.asp?id=1010

I'd love more information about this promo piece if anyone has details. How many were made? Was it for the fan club? Was it for other promotional activites? How many are out there? What is it's street value? What is it's trade value?

-..-..-..-..-..-..-..-..-..-..-
Disclaimer: I swear on my Pearl Jam collection that I am not the seller of this item nor do I stand to profit from any of this information. I just think this is cool stuff and didn't even know it existed until 48 hours ago. I always thought the Music for Rhino's was sorta the first fan club single, but maybe this is???

Sea and Kat: I apologize in advance if I inadvertantly broke any posting guidelines and I will delete this post at your command!
I'm trying to think of a really good signature.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    That's badass!! I love their version of I've got a feeling
  • Options
    i own it..

i bought it on ebay at 20bucks "buy it now" about a year ago..

love it..
  • Options
    Juan Godoy wrote:
    i own it..

love it..

I've gotta admit... I'm jealous! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Juan Godoy wrote:
    i own it..

love it..

You lucky son of a gun!
  • Options
    the seller didn't know a s... of what he was selling.. so... :twisted: :twisted:

it has a different "alive" guitar solo, it's pretty amazing btw..
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,938
    Is not hard to get... I have the cassette and the CD :|
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    i once found this in a goodwill for . 79 cents...i didnt know what i had & traded a bunch of cdrs for it..doh!!! i wish /hope i find another one someday....
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    LC49684LC49684 Posts: 19
    After reading, it looks to me like this is the first official fan club promo/single. It predates anything else we know of.

And how many fans were there at that time? Ten wasn't released until August 1991 so the fan club members had to be few. Can't be too many copies out there if they were never sold in stores.

Very cool!
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,938
    The difficult part is finding one sealed.
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    LC49684LC49684 Posts: 19
    From the PJ20 Book, page 52:

January 29: "Mookie Blaylock records demos of several songs with producer Rick Parashar at Seattle's London Bridge Studios. Alive", "Wash", and "I've Got a Feeling" are chosen for release as a promotional single because they best represented the vibe of the new band".

They were still considered Mookie Blaylock when this demo was recorded! Incredible !!!
  • Options
    super cool.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    MangoMango Brisbane, Australia (via Dublin, Ireland) Posts: 1,049
    I have the promo CD of it http://www.pjcollectors.com/detail.asp?id=262 and think its a great piece. Possibly one of my favourites.
    "Life comes from within your heart and desire"
  • Options
    VicSpeedVicSpeed Posts: 100
    I have two of these for trade(prefered)/sale if someone here wants them.

http://lnx.xtatica.com/shop/category.php?id_category=5
  • Options
    VicSpeed wrote:
    I have two of these for trade(prefered)/sale if someone here wants them.

http://lnx.xtatica.com/shop/category.php?id_category=5

Yes please! I'll PM you.
  • Options
    AfghanTwilightAfghanTwilight Rochester, NY Posts: 835
    I'm not certain any more, but I thinK I might have this. And yes, they were technically still Mookie at the time. I also have the CD version. I'm not certain about the cassette but the CD was sent out to Soundgarden's FC members back in the day.
  • Options
    I'm not certain any more, but I thinK I might have this. And yes, they were technically still Mookie at the time. I also have the CD version. I'm not certain about the cassette but the CD was sent out to Soundgarden's FC members back in the day.

Here is a little more info on the CD:

http://www.pjcollectors.com/detail.asp?id=262
  • Options
    AfghanTwilightAfghanTwilight Rochester, NY Posts: 835
    Yep, that's the one. It was given to me by a guy I was chummy with (Adam) at an indie shop in town. He moved out to Seattle and, last I knew, works for Easy Street. You can see him on the cover of the Easy Street EP.
  • Options
    I have this as well. I remember the day I received it in the mail out of the blue I was 10 yrs old.. ever since I was hooked
    Tour with fucking NOFX
  • Options
    I have this as well. I remember the day I received it in the mail out of the blue I was 10 yrs old.. ever since I was hooked

I wish I would have joined way back then!
  • Options
    SInce when are all these Ebay links okay?????!!!! :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

No auctions are allowed. Links to yours or others' eBay auctions or stores are not ok.
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • Options
    One just sold on ebay for $52.50! It was sealed, tho.
  • Options
    VedHead wrote:
    One just sold on ebay for $52.50! It was sealed, tho.

so.. i'm feeling lucky
  • Options
    In the last week I have lost 3 ebay auctions by a TOTAL of ~$5 for one of these cassettes! I've got to believe that some of the interest in this item has come from this thread... in other words, 3 people out there owe me a commission and I should have kept my mouth shut until I procured one of these gems!

(yes, I realize that "bumping" this post make my odds of winning the next auction that much smaller)
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    i get it from a member here from Australia if i remember well..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Anyone here got one they want to sell ($50 if mint and sealed) or trade?
  • Options
    sorry, i can't let go my own.. but i bet you will find one.. good luck! :thumbup:
  • Options
    VedHead wrote:

Good news. Thanks to a new freind named Jeff (from Montana), I've now got a copy of the cassette!
  • Options
    VedHead wrote:
    VedHead wrote:

Good news. Thanks to a new freind named Jeff (from Montana), I've now got a copy of the cassette!

how'd you get one from Jeff Ament???
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    i had one i found in a goodwill for 80 cents! i let it go for some shows from the 90's back in the day. i've lost out on it 3 times so far...i will get one of these on tape & cd! i've got something up my sleeve.. :twisted:
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    VedHead wrote:
    VedHead wrote:

how'd you get one from Jeff Ament???

Stone probably had some in his basement. Gave a couple to Jeff, and the rest is history.

:lol: