Options

In hiding is about ACID

nofxernofxer Posts: 18
edited July 2008 in The Porch
I was watching in hiding on my Uniondale 03 dvd and eddie did something that really caught my attention. After the second verse when he sings "it's all state of mind" he laughs, puts up his hands in surrender and says "i was tripping", he did it almost like a little kid caught stealing a cookie lol.

Funny to compare him to a child, cos he's always singing about keeping his innocence (in my tree, i am mine). Either way Eddie is such a charasmatic, 'innocent' but serious and aware type of guy, i can never get sick of his persona.

What's the point of the post? Give more acid to children? To think about how much fun it would have been to take a trip with Eddie? You be the judge, heres the In Hiding lyrics if u wanna read with a new perspective.

I shut and lock the front door.
No way in or out.
I turned and walked the hallway, and pulled the curtains down.
I knelt and emptied the mouth of every plug around.
But nothing's sound.
Oh, oh. Nothing's sound.

I stayed where my last step left me.
Ignored all my rounds
Soon I was seeing visions and cracks along the walls.
Oh. They were upside down. Oh. Oh.
I swallow my words to keep from lying.
I swallow my face just to keep from biting. I, I...
I swallowed my breath and went deep, I was diving. Diving.
I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened.
Now I'm...

I'm in hiding.

It's been about three days now since I've been aground.
No longer overwhelmed.
And it seems so simple now.
It's funny when things change so much, it's all state of mind.

I swallowed my words to keep from lying.
I swallowed my face just to keep from biting. I, I...
I swallowed my breath and went deep, I was diving. I was diving.
Now I'm...

I'm in hiding. I'm in hiding, I'm...
I'm in hiding, I am, oh. I'm in hiding
I'm in hiding yeah. I'm in hiding, I am...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    possomistspossomists Posts: 427
    at the hartford show this year, ed yelled out during in hiding, "i was tripping balls", i loved it
    "you can say that we're, nocturnal, posssomists"
    -ed july 8th MSG 2004
  • Options
    possomists wrote:
    at the hartford show this year, ed yelled out during in hiding, "i was tripping balls", i loved it

haha yeah that was awesome !!
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    btw i never thought about it before but it is entirely plausible ...
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    got some kicks, want to take a ride?
    I said, yeah!
    take your pick, leave yourself behind
    I said, yeah!
  • Options
    nofxer wrote:
    got some kicks, want to take a ride?
    I said, yeah!
    take your pick, leave yourself behind
    I said, yeah!

that is severed hand and i think that is about DMT
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,996
    he made reference to acid (in a way) at Bonnaroo- but I can't remember what song it was after
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    NevermindNevermind Posts: 1,006
    that is severed hand and i think that is about DMT
    Ehh. Ive done it. They were definately not dragons.
  • Options
    possomistspossomists Posts: 427
    btw i never thought about it before but it is entirely plausible ...

entirely plausible? this song is about tripping, fact
    "you can say that we're, nocturnal, posssomists"
    -ed july 8th MSG 2004
  • Options
    possomists wrote:

yeah its about tripping but not necessarily on ACID is what i meant.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    more eddie acid moments!!! Let me hear em. "Under your tounge i'm like a tab, i will give you what your not supposed to have"
  • Options
    Nevermind wrote:
    Ehh. Ive done it. They were definately not dragons.

affects everyone differently ??
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    possomists wrote:

yum.
  • Options
    NevermindNevermind Posts: 1,006
    affects everyone differently ??
    Thats true. My buddies experiences have been similair. After 3 or 4 what? You could be right. Someone needs to ask Ed.
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,680
    At Molson Park 1998 after singing "No longer seeing visons and cracks along the walls" he added "Ahh...could have been the joint that I smoked".

Pretty funny shit
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,507
    found the tape i had of the Yield Radio Special, broadcast 01/27/98, that i recorded - the relevant transcription is as follows:

[Pilate ends]

Neil Mann (Interviewer): This is the North American premiere of Pearl Jam's Yield, it's in stores Tuesday Feb. 3rd. I'm Neil Mann, and that's a song called Pilate, lyrics by Jeff Ament. We also heard a song called Faithfull. I touched on this earlier in the show, but Yield seems to me a bit more personal than their previous work - not to say the band hasn't touched on things close to them in the past, but they've always been able to embrace issues without sounding preachy and they let you peak inside without giving away too much. The song In Hiding seemed like a deeply personal song.

Ed: I would think anyone could understand it and what it's talking about, it's just, you know, pullling out of the game, you know, the daily race. I mean, I, I,...it doesn't (just) apply to a rockstar wanting to stay away from the paparazzi for four days, it has to do with anybody just needing a, um, a break to focus on self and, um, the spirit and, you know, i think it's a really healthy process and that's all it's saying is that, you know, "man, did i feel better after, you know, staying in bed for 4 days and doing nothing". But only 4 days, i mean, you know, 4 months, it's unacceptable.

[In Hiding played]
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    Yea I think Ed sings about drugs all the time. Personally I think Red Mosquito is aboust some sort of injection drug and In My Tree is about weed. Also, I remember reading somewhere that Matt Cameron said that the term "Get Right" means having a discussion with someone you've had a falling out with while passing the peace pipe. I think this idea is also referenced in Soundgarden's song Overfloater. There's a line that says "I wanna make it right."
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Brain Of E wrote:
    Yea I think Ed sings about drugs all the time. Personally I think Red Mosquito is aboust some sort of injection drug and In My Tree is about weed. Also, I remember reading somewhere that Matt Cameron said that the term "Get Right" means having a discussion with someone you've had a falling out with while passing the peace pipe. I think this idea is also referenced in Soundgarden's song Overfloater. There's a line that says "I wanna make it right."

the get right peace pipe thing must be true. The get right T shirt shows an indian smoking a hookah.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    velogatorvelogator Posts: 174
    100 Pacer wrote:
    found the tape i had of the Yield Radio Special, broadcast 01/27/98, that i recorded - the relevant transcription is as follows:

[Pilate ends]

Neil Mann (Interviewer): This is the North American premiere of Pearl Jam's Yield, it's in stores Tuesday Feb. 3rd. I'm Neil Mann, and that's a song called Pilate, lyrics by Jeff Ament. We also heard a song called Faithfull. I touched on this earlier in the show, but Yield seems to me a bit more personal than their previous work - not to say the band hasn't touched on things close to them in the past, but they've always been able to embrace issues without sounding preachy and they let you peak inside without giving away too much. The song In Hiding seemed like a deeply personal song.

Ed: I would think anyone could understand it and what it's talking about, it's just, you know, pullling out of the game, you know, the daily race. I mean, I, I,...it doesn't (just) apply to a rockstar wanting to stay away from the paparazzi for four days, it has to do with anybody just needing a, um, a break to focus on self and, um, the spirit and, you know, i think it's a really healthy process and that's all it's saying is that, you know, "man, did i feel better after, you know, staying in bed for 4 days and doing nothing". But only 4 days, i mean, you know, 4 months, it's unacceptable.

[In Hiding played]

This sounds right, I remember reading that he said he went on a speaking "fast" for 4 days, no talking at all. Don't know if drugs were involved, but I think that "in Hiding" is about his speaking "fast".
    Manchester, TN - 2008
    Washington, D.C. - 2008
    Philadelphia, PA I - 2009
    Bristow, VA - 2010
    Baltimore, MD - 2013
    Milwaukee, WI - 2014
    Hampton, VA - 2016
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    Brain Of E wrote:
    your name fits this thread perfectly... I know ed has dabbled in a little E himself. I would give my left arm to smoke a J with the boys...
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    knowkodesknowkodes Posts: 119
    I could have sworn that I read somewhere that Mike wrote that song after being snowed in his house - no kidding
    * New Orleans-1995* Randall's Island-Sep 28,29 1996* Phoenix 1998* Las Vegas 1998* Los Angeles 1998* Blockbuster Center-Aug 28,29 1998* Continental Arena-1998* MSG- Sep 10,11 1998* Jones Beach -Aug 23,24,25 2000* E-Centre 2000* Nassau Coliseum 2003* Tweeter Center 2003* MSG-Jul 08,09 2003* PNC 2003* Reading, PA 2004* PNC 2005* Camden 2006* Meadwlands-2006* Continental Arena 2006* MSG-Jun 24,25 2008* Dodge Music Center 2008* Tweeter Center 2008* Phil.-Oct 28,30 2009* Hartford-2010* The Prudential Center-2010

• Options
    knowkodes wrote:
    I could have sworn that I read somewhere that Mike wrote that song after being snowed in his house - no kidding

That was given to fly.
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,507
    knowkodes wrote:

as i recall, Mike was talking about writing the music for Given To Fly after being snowed in at his condo in Seattle at the time,...

EDIT: ^^^
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    Stone IronsStone Irons Posts: 430
    This is what Ed said about "In Hiding":

The song was about taking a fast from life, doing anything to get yourself back in touch with something real. Abstinence from anything is cool, because the normalcy of life is deceptive: It's enjoyable for a while, and there are good moments, but sometimes that's not enough. You start questioning what's the point. By not opening my mouth I was able to get into that state. Jack called me at the end of it; he couldn't understand what I was saying. It took a minute to get my speech back.

Source: http://pearljamhistory.no.sapo.pt/PJArticles_Interviews_02-08-98_-_philadelphia_inquirer.htm
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    he does do this but it actually has nothing to do with drugs .. at least when he initially wrote it. i read an interview a while back .. if i can find it i'll post it. but sean penn had interviewed this man .. dont remember his name .. and he explained about escaping the world and becoming one with yourself and enlightened by sleeping for like 3 days locked in your house, no lights, no music, nothing. just you and the atmosphere around you. after about 3 you're rejuvenated and feel like a new human being. ed was inspired by the interview and wrote the song completely about that. thats why in the yield booklet ed lists 'thanks' under it to sean.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    rcsrcs Posts: 711
    I found this in another thread about In Hiding from earlier this month:

Charles Bukowski from Interview Magazine, 1987 (in an interview with Sean Penn.)

ON LEISURE:

This is very important -- to take leisure time. Pace is the essence. Without stopping entirely and doing nothing at all for great periods, you're gonna lose everything. Whether you're an actor, anything, a housewife...there has to be great pauses between highs, where you do nothing at all. You just lay on a bed and stare at the ceiling. This is very, very important...just to do nothing at all, very, very important. And how many people do this in modern society? Very few. That's why they're all totally mad, frustrated, angry and hateful. ln the old days, before I was married, or knew a lot of women, I would just pull down all the shades and go to bed for three or four days. I'd get up to shit. I'd eat a can of beans, go back to bed, just stay there for three or four days. Then I'd put on my clothes and I'd walk outside, and the sunlight was brilliant, and the sounds were great. I felt powerful, like a recharged battery. But you know the first bring-down? The first human face I saw on the sidewalk, I lost half my charge right there. This monstrous, blank, dumb, unfeeling face, charged up with capitalism -- the "grind." And you went "Oooh! That took half away." But it was still worth it, I had half left. So, yeah, leisure. And I don't mean having profound thoughts. I mean having no thoughts at all. Without thoughts of progress, without any self-thoughts of trying to further yourself. Just...like a slug. It's beautiful.
    E agora? Faz xixi na mão e deita fora!
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    he does do this but it actually has nothing to do with drugs .. at least when he initially wrote it. i read an interview a while back .. if i can find it i'll post it. but sean penn had interviewed this man .. dont remember his name .. and he explained about escaping the world and becoming one with yourself and enlightened by sleeping for like 3 days locked in your house, no lights, no music, nothing. just you and the atmosphere around you. after about 3 you're rejuvenated and feel like a new human being. ed was inspired by the interview and wrote the song completely about that. thats why in the yield booklet ed lists 'thanks' under it to sean.

good info. i think i recall that too.

but thinking the song is about acid is an interesting spin on in it.
  • Options
    PearlybakerPearlybaker Posts: 207
    I think I'll start my life fast after I see Ed Saturday night!
    "Hey, listen asshole, one more fucker throws a fuckin' quarter up here and we're outta here, I'm tellin' ya, FUCKER! What the fuck, you're blowin' it for fuckin' everybody. Hit me with a fuckin' quarter again and, fuck it, I'm outta here. We're all outta here. Fuck you, and if anyone sees someone throw fuckin' change right next to them, you have my permission to beat the fuckin' holy shit outta them."
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    nofxer wrote:
    I was watching in hiding on my Uniondale 03 dvd and eddie did something that really caught my attention. After the second verse when he sings "it's all state of mind" he laughs, puts up his hands in surrender and says "i was tripping", he did it almost like a little kid caught stealing a cookie lol.

Funny to compare him to a child, cos he's always singing about keeping his innocence (in my tree, i am mine). Either way Eddie is such a charasmatic, 'innocent' but serious and aware type of guy, i can never get sick of his persona.

What's the point of the post? Give more acid to children? To think about how much fun it would have been to take a trip with Eddie? You be the judge, heres the In Hiding lyrics if u wanna read with a new perspective.

I shut and lock the front door.
    No way in or out.
    I turned and walked the hallway, and pulled the curtains down.
    I knelt and emptied the mouth of every plug around.
    But nothing's sound.
    Oh, oh. Nothing's sound.

I stayed where my last step left me.
    Ignored all my rounds
    Soon I was seeing visions and cracks along the walls.
    Oh. They were upside down. Oh. Oh.
    I swallow my words to keep from lying.
    I swallow my face just to keep from biting. I, I...
    I swallowed my breath and went deep, I was diving. Diving.
    Now I'm...

I'm in hiding.

It's been about three days now since I've been aground.
    No longer overwhelmed.
    And it seems so simple now.
    It's funny when things change so much, it's all state of mind.

I swallowed my words to keep from lying.
    I swallowed my face just to keep from biting. I, I...
    I swallowed my breath and went deep, I was diving. I was diving.
    Now I'm...

I'm in hiding. I'm in hiding, I'm...
    I'm in hiding, I am, oh. I'm in hiding
    I'm in hiding yeah. I'm in hiding, I am...

My favorite song EVER :D
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Brain Of E wrote:

yea, agreed, i've never bought that story that red mosquito was about a bad tuna sandwich either.
  • Options
    burnerbenburnerben Posts: 80
    Brain Of E wrote:

I've always associated In My Tree with the Italo Calvino novel "Baron of the Trees." Incredible book, Calvino's most readable by far. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it.
    Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I’m
    delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.