Options

pearl jam chat rooms '95/'96

CareyCarey Posts: 2,361
edited October 2011 in The Porch
Does anyone remember being in Pearl Jam chat rooms in 1995-1996? I do, and my screen name was Yippee.

Just wondered if anyone else was there :D
"Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I remember one around that time called "Brad's Pearl Jam Chat".

I have no recollection of my screen name though.
  • Options
    my_wavemy_wave clearwater, FL Posts: 337
    i'm sure i was definitely in a few of those...
    st. pete '94
    west palm beach '98
    tampa '00
    tampa '03
    tampa '08
    brooklyn '13
    austin '14
    austin '14
    tampa '16

ed - clearwater '12
    ed - clearwater '12
  • Options
    Carey wrote:
    Does anyone remember being in Pearl Jam chat rooms in 1995-1996? I do, and my screen name was Yippee.

Just wondered if anyone else was there :D

Man thats such a Flashback!! It hardly ever worked properly. Or maybe it was just me. I think it was about'98 when i was on there
    RDS Dublin - Aug 26 1995 (Neil Young with Pearl Jam)
    Millstreet Arena - Oct 24, 1996
    The Point - Oct 26, 1996
    The Point - Jun 01, 2000
    The Point - Aug 23, 2006
    Wembley Arena - Jun 18, 2007
    Manchester Evening News Arena - Aug 17, 2009
    The O2 - Jun 22, 2010
    Odyssey Arena - Jun 23, 2010
    Manchester Evening News Arena - Jun 20 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome - Jun 26 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome - Jun 16 2014
  • Options
    I was 3 or 4 years old 8-) When did the internet first become commercial that chat rooms were already big at that time?!
    MSG II 5/21/10
    Tres Mts. Gramercy Theatre 3/26/11
    *formerly manutd3581
  • Options
    I remember them not working perfectly as well.

Some kind soul mailed some bootlegs to me, I can't remember his name tho. I think there was a fair amount of swapping going on...
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Yup: rastafrog
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    I was 3 or 4 years old 8-) When did the internet first become commercial that chat rooms were already big at that time?!

I saw my first chat room when I was a freshman in college in '94. It was bizarre to me.

I started using the EFnet IRC server back in 95 and was on #PearlJam a lot for about 2 years. I remember names like: Dissident, Goktepe, ^PunkGrl^, Mosquito, Merkinball and lots of others.

As a side note: chat rooms made me a REALLY fast typer.
  • Options
    humanvalentine.
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:

I saw my first chat room when I was a freshman in college in '94. It was bizarre to me.

I started using the EFnet IRC server back in 95 and was on #PearlJam a lot for about 2 years. I remember names like: Dissident, Goktepe, ^PunkGrl^, Mosquito, Merkinball and lots of others.

As a side note: chat rooms made me a REALLY fast typer.

Holy shit, I remember Goktepe. Never would have come up with that one my own tho. How on earth do you remember the names...
  • Options
    Carey wrote:
    Holy shit, I remember Goktepe. Never would have come up with that one my own tho. How on earth do you remember the names...

I can remember the dates of all 37 PJ shows I have been to. Remembering "Goktepe" is easy :)

Besides: I have him on my IM list. Heh.
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    Carey wrote:

I can remember the dates of all 37 PJ shows I have been to. Remembering "Goktepe" is easy :)

Hmmm, I am wondering if he's the dude that sent me the bootlegs...
  • Options
    Carey wrote:
    BinFrog wrote:
    Carey wrote:

very well could have been him. I traded with him a bunch back in the day. Maxell XLII's, baby!
  • Options
    Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    Good ol' RaStAfRoG....

and I was Merkinbal (1 "l" because the other was too long of a name)

except when I would /nick PaStAfRoG when Brian would join.

/ping
    /j #pearljam

always fun.
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • Options
    skanji32skanji32 Posts: 592
    skanji.
    My 22 shows:
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Montreal, Toronto
    2000 - Montreal, Toronto
    2003 - Toronto, Montreal
    2004 - Boston I, Boston II
    2005 - Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa
    2013 - London, Seattle
    2016 - Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
  • Options
    Good ol' RaStAfRoG....

/ping
    /j #pearljam

always fun.

LOL @ Pastafrog.
  • Options
    Hmmm, I am wondering if he's the dude that sent me the bootlegs...[/quote]

very well could have been him. I traded with him a bunch back in the day. Maxell XLII's, baby![/quote]

Yup :) I also got a stack of lyrics printed out on copier paper, they are so old school looking. I still have them. The front page spells Pearl Jam with the "P"made of a bunch of tiny p's and so on. I think the same guy sent it ti me but I can't be sure.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    i was in those rooms in 96 when i started college. i can't remember my username, though...hmmm...
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    Carey wrote:

very well could have been him. I traded with him a bunch back in the day. Maxell XLII's, baby![/quote]

Yup :) I also got a stack of lyrics printed out on copier paper, they are so old school looking. I still have them. The front page spells Pearl Jam with the "P"made of a bunch of tiny p's and so on. I think the same guy sent it ti me but I can't be sure.[/quote]
    I passed around a TON of Pearl Jam bootlegs back in the day... I made lists of EVERYTHING I needed, had, songs I needed... Some dude named Ben C. helped me out the most... I used to send out like 10 tapes a day, mixed tapes, people send me cash for blanks and postage, I'd hook up some PJ they have never heard...ahh, the good ole days... Prodigy message boards :)
  • Options
    Oh, I was either "Stoneygoss" or "PJtrader"... before I taped, I traded :lol:
  • Options
    CallawayCallaway Posts: 635
    pjtaper wrote:
    Oh, I was either "Stoneygoss" or "PJtrader"... before I taped, I traded :lol:

I went through 2 dvd burners making copies of PJ dvd's, I haven't done a B&P in years. :lol:
  • Options
    Good ol' RaStAfRoG....

/ping
    /j #pearljam

always fun.

This ping talk makes me remember sending people messages and then 'fingering' their account to see if they'd gotten the message~ am I remembering this correctly? That was a very foggy time of my life :D
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Were you in the Porch chat room on the night of the Monkeywrench Radio broadcast? AOL was bogging so bad. IIRC there was a Michael Jackson event on AOL that night.
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    I def remember that... :lol:
  • Options
    Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    Kat wrote:
    Were you in the Porch chat room on the night of the Monkeywrench Radio broadcast? AOL was bogging so bad. IIRC there was a Michael Jackson event on AOL that night.

I was not, I was too busy on IRC's efnet #pearljam channel converting my tape recordings to mp3 from the studio album that 92.3 KRock in NYC premiered (first 5 songs from yield) and then dcc sending them over to a certain someone for him to host on his university of syracuse web server......I think that may have ended slightly poorly for him, but boy did mp3's take off from there.

:)
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • Options
    Kat wrote:

I was not, I was too busy on IRC's efnet #pearljam channel converting my tape recordings to mp3 from the studio album that 92.3 KRock in NYC premiered (first 5 songs from yield) and then dcc sending them over to a certain someone for him to host on his university of syracuse web server......I think that may have ended slightly poorly for him, but boy did mp3's take off from there.

:)

the whole world will be different soon

;)