Best places online to look for jobs?

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited October 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
I think I'm about done with my job. I don't like it anymore. It was good work experience and will look pretty on my resume, but I think I'm ready to start looking to see what's out there. Something new.

I haven't really looked seriously in about 6 or 7 years. Last time I looked I was a fresh college grad with no full time work experience. Is Careerbuilder still a good place to look online?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• most of those sites are useless and a lot of them, especially careerbuilder have listings that are scams.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Jamminonthe1Jamminonthe1 Posts: 1,243
    Depends what type of work you do. Headhunters can be good in some industries, and the company pays them, not you.
  • cmarch007cmarch007 Posts: 293
    checkout indeed.com - This site has a listings from most of the major job boards like monster, careerbuilder, theladders, etc...

I was recently out of work for 3 weeks, but the thing that helped me the most was leveraging the power of my personal & professional network. Depending on what you're trying to do... Most business professionals are on linkedin.com and it's free to sign up an connect to people. Let everyone you know that you're looking (unless you're still employed and can lose your current situation due to a job search). The site has job listings, groups, and you can target companies and find contacts within the companies you're looking to get in with.

Don't be afraid to get out of your comfort zone. Striking up a conversation with the right connection can get you further than you think.

Good luck!
    Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Noblesville - May 07, 2010
    Alpine Valley (PJ20) - Wisconsin- Sep 03, 2011
    Alpine Valley (PJ20) - Wisconsin - Sep 04, 2011
    Wrigley Field - Chicago, IL. July 19, 2013
    Pittsburgh - Oct 11, 2013
    Buffalo - Oct 12, 2013 GA-rail in McCready'ville
    Cincinnati - Oct 1st, 2014 GA 
    St. Louis - Oct 3rd, 2014
    Yield, WI (aka Milwaukee) - Oct 20, 2014 GA 7 people deep McCreadyville
    Lexington, KY (GA - 2nd row between Ed & Jeff!!!)
    Wrigley Field '16 N1 (GA)
    Wrigley Field '16 N2 
    Wrigley Field '18 (N1)
    Wrigley Field '18 N2 (GA)
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    Gob wrote:
    I think I'm about done with my job. I don't like it anymore. It was good work experience and will look pretty on my resume, but I think I'm ready to start looking to see what's out there. Something new.

I haven't really looked seriously in about 6 or 7 years. Last time I looked I was a fresh college grad with no full time work experience. Is Careerbuilder still a good place to look online?

University of WA has an Alumni page with job postings...maybe your college has the same.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    i like indeed.com and i also second the idea of linkedin.
    i am still looking for work, but have gotten more positive leads from indeed more than any other online resource.
    i am completely open to other ideas, so hope to read more too!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i saw a presentation today that said linked in is the place to be.

i also hear earnst and young are going to hire 500 people in chicago.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • I've literally just finished my job; decided to take voluntary redundancy due to having had enough and wanting a new change. I've applied for over 40 jobs in three weeks and i've only had feedback from 3... I don't know what the job market is like in the US but here in England it's brutal. Good luck :thumbup:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    drive a truck.
    go back to school.
    what is it that you do?
    what is your degree?

also, you may have good results here.
    http://www.getoffyournutsandgetafrickinjob.org ;):mrgreen:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • One thing I have found helpful in the past is to go to directly to the wesbite of a company you are interested in working. Most have a listing of their current openings. It's a lot easier than sorting through all the bullshit on careerbuilder, monster, etc...
  • Gob, if you do decide to quit, you should totally do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgdMKKLx3fw

Best of luck!
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • PJGirl321PJGirl321 Posts: 377
    I've been out of work for almost a year. :roll:

Needless to say, I am all over the job boards. Indeed.com is a good aggregate for other sites. I've been on LinkedIn for several years and I am convinced people only use it as a popularity game to see how many "connections" they can rack up. They do have job listings but I haven't had much luck.

Check the sites of some target companies you'd like to work for. Most of them have career sections. Also use the sites of professional organizations as resources. For example, I am in PR so I often check PRSA, Women in Communications, etc. Trade media sites also have job listings.

And network. I've been lacking here and need to start. Check your local library for networking groups, meet-ups,

Good luck. If you have a job stay until you find something you really want. It's brutal out there right now.
  • PJGirl321 wrote:

Needless to say, I am all over the job boards. Indeed.com is a good aggregate for other sites. I've been on LinkedIn for several years and I am convinced people only use it as a popularity game to see how many "connections" they can rack up. They do have job listings but I haven't had much luck.

Check the sites of some target companies you'd like to work for. Most of them have career sections. Also use the sites of professional organizations as resources. For example, I am in PR so I often check PRSA, Women in Communications, etc. Trade media sites also have job listings.

And network. I've been lacking here and need to start. Check your local library for networking groups, meet-ups,

Good luck. If you have a job stay until you find something you really want. It's brutal out there right now.

I'd find out a phone number and call them until you hear something, especially if it's something you really want. Too often, you get no response via email one way or the other.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    If you don't have a linkedin profile you should put one up. You can also browse jobs there. It is essential i think moving forward

Besides just getting out there for folks to find you and looking at jobs companies place on linkedin you also can join groups that are tailored to your industry and that can be a good way to network and hear about jobs

I'm not lookign for a job and i've been contacted by two recruiters hte past two weeks.

Indeed is a nice place to look as mentioned because it captures monster, hotjobs etc.

Another laternative is craigslist job boards

Depending on what kind of job you do networking groups or at least user groups online are a good tool. I am moer familar with the engineering field but ther are plenty of Civil Engineer Groups, Solidwork User Groups etc

For the record i work for an engineering placement firm and we use all of the above for our direct placements and contract palcements
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    LinkedIn is a necessity these days.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
    PJGirl321 wrote:

I'd find out a phone number and call them until you hear something, especially if it's something you really want.
    Too often, you get no response via email one way or the other.

If you can find anyone...today's application process is so detached. Most companies have put everything online. No personal touch at all.
    BinFrog wrote:

I agree LinkedIn is necessary. You have to approach a job search from every possible angle. I also have my LinkedIn address on my resume. Plus employers like to see you have a "social media footprint."

I live in NJ and found out about this service through the local paper. I am going to check it out. You never know.

http://www.neighbors-helping-neighbors. ... /Home.html
  • I agree with Indeed.com, it's the best of the search sites IMO. Or like Mookeywrench said use alumni resources or contact a company that YOU want to work for.

On the other end of the spectrum I think linkedin is a myspace for Pyramid schemes and corporate wannabes.
    NERDS!
  • Aero83_Aero83_ Posts: 933
    BinFrog wrote:

Really...maybe I shouldn't ignore all those invites then. silly me, may come back to bite me in the ass
    ...10/31/09, 05/21/10, Peru, Los Angeles
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Gob wrote:

I've been at my job for 5 and half years and between the work I just don't enjoy and the toxic people, it has really become miserable...I feel like it's killing a part of me each and every day. :cry: Thanks for the advice everyone..I am definitely going to check out linkedin.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
    :lol:

i applied for a gig several months ago...its so long i don't remember when...

just got the rejection email. i feel like replying with what's the point? :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    I have worked for the same company for about 21 years, I have no idea how to look for a job
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    I have worked for the same company for about 21 years, I have no idea how to look for a job

yikes...

i've done 8+ and 5+ year stints.

i hate interviewing and job searching...

i also hate when they send you a rejection letter 3+ months after the fact. either send it in the first month or don't send one at all. :roll:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    81 wrote:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

yikes...

i've done 8+ and 5+ year stints.

i hate interviewing and job searching...

i also hate when they send you a rejection letter 3+ months after the fact. either send it in the first month or don't send one at all. :roll:

I have actually had about 12 jobs here, some I had to apply and interview for, so I am familiar with those processes, I am just in the dark about how to find jobs at other places (not that I am looking)
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    I am just in the dark about how to find jobs at other places (not that I am looking)

know somebody. :lol: that's how i ended up here.

beyond that...

recruiters (there are a ton of finance focused ones out there), job boards (careerbuilder, monster, linkedin, etc), and visiting companies websites and looking at career sections

the thing that drives me nuts is so many companies have you fill out a profile to submit a resume.

i forget the company, but one asked for a link to your facebook profile. yeah, i don't think so.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg