Question for my fellow drunken bastards ...

slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
edited October 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
As I've mentioned on this forum before, I got a DUI in May. As part of my probation, I've have to blow into an alcohol breath monitor three times a day, at prescribed times, for six months. It hasn't been that difficult. I haven't had a drop of alcohol since my arrest, so passing the tests has been easy. The hardest part, so far, was running up that damn hill at PJ20, trying to find an electric outlet so I could blow during the encore break (but I did it!).

However, the people who leased me the machine warned me that it is super-sensitive. If you rinse with mouthwash before you blow, you will probably fail the test, they said. Well ... last night I had a total brain lapse. Getting ready for bed. Wash face. Brush teeth. Gargle Scope. Blow in tube.

Oh shit.

As predicted, it came back as a violation. My first one. And a total innocent mistake. (Seriously. I know everybody probably uses the "mouthwash" excuse, except in my case, it's true).

After failing the test, I waited about half an hour for the mouthwash taste to completely fade from my mouth, blew again, and passed. So I've got that going for me. But it still doesn't erase the failed test.

My question, fellow drunken bastards, is: What is going to happen to me?

Since it's my first violation -- and really first hiccup at all in probation -- do you think they'll buy my story and let it slide? Will they add conditions to my probation as punishment? Will I have to go before the judge again?

Legally speaking, I suppose they could revoke my probation and throw my ass in jail ... but that isn't going to happen over something so stupid, is it?

Has anyone here been in a similar situation before? Any ideas of what to expect? My next p.o. visit is a week from Tuesday, and I'm more than a little nervous.
everybody wants the most they can possibly get
for the least they could possibly do
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jamminonthe1Jamminonthe1 Posts: 1,243
    About half of Jim Leyritz's book is dedicated to stuff like this - he had a ton of problems with that (and other things). When something like that happens the best thing you can do is call the company, call your lawyer and call your parole officer (or whoever is assigned to you) and be up front about it. And throw out your mouthwash...
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    take mouthwash & gadget with you when you go see your po. show them if you have too. let them know you are concerned due to the gadget failing your breath.

quitting alcohol pretty much altogether is a good idea for many of us. how old are you, Sir/Miss?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    chadwick wrote:
    take mouthwash & gadget with you when you go see your po. show them if you have too. let them know you are concerned due to the gadget failing your breath.

quitting alcohol pretty much altogether is a good idea for many of us. how old are you, Sir/Miss?

I'm 34. I don't really have a problem with alcohol, which is basically how (until now) this breath thing has been no sweat for me. I did abuse it the day I got arrested. I admit that.

I'm obviously going to have to tell them about the failed test. They'll see it eventually. What do you think happens to me, if I've otherwise been a model probationer?

Usually when I go in there, she seems kind of impressed, "Wow! No violations!" It's like everybody has a few violations of some sort.
  • What state are you in? Was it your first offense?
    What state are you in? Was it your first offense?

Texas. And yes, first offense.

Like I said, I've followed my probation to a T otherwise. Passed all the other tests. Paid my money up front. Took my classes. Am on track with community service.

It would be a shame to have that all go up in smoke over something so stupid.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    a reasonable person would listen to your explantion...and review your follow up blow and forget about it.

good luck my man
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Stay humble and apoligetic with them. You made an error. You also have the follow up blow into the device to justify your story. I'm sure if they're reasonable they will understand. I would imagine that in these economic times the authorities want to keep as many non-violent criminals out of jail as possible. I wish you the best man.
  • I would contact my lawyer, see what he says.
    chadwick wrote:

I'm 34. I don't really have a problem with alcohol, which is basically how (until now) this breath thing has been no sweat for me. I did abuse it the day I got arrested. I admit that.

I'm obviously going to have to tell them about the failed test. They'll see it eventually. What do you think happens to me, if I've otherwise been a model probationer?

Usually when I go in there, she seems kind of impressed, "Wow! No violations!" It's like everybody has a few violations of some sort.

i think she wants sex, dude.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    chadwick wrote:

i think she wants sex, dude.

I will violate her, so long as she doesn't violate me.
    81 wrote:
    a reasonable person would listen to your explantion...and review your follow up blow and forget about it.

good luck my man

This is what I'm hoping for. I see her a week from Tuesday. I've basically decided so long as they don't throw me in jail -- and seriously, it would be the stupidest reason to go to jail, ever -- I'll live with whatever else happens.

They want to make me take additional classes? Do more community service? Blow into the device for an extra month?

Fine. Whatever. Even though I didn't do anything wrong, really, I'll take it.
    I will violate her, so long as she doesn't violate me.
    no no. that's not how it works, little mr. she will do with you as she pleases. and you'll frickin like it!!

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    I broke down and called my PO today, to let her know there might be a breathalyzer violation coming down the pike. She wasn't all that reassuring, although the words "motion to revoke" and "jail time" didn't come up. So that's a good thing.

She basically said she'd have to see the report from the monitoring company before issuing any futher action, but typically for a first violation they might prescribe Antabuse (a drug that makes one violently ill when mixed with alcohol) or treatment in an "outpatient program."

I think (hope) she's just fucking with me. But we'll see on Tuesday.
    I broke down and called my PO today, to let her know there might be a breathalyzer violation coming down the pike. She wasn't all that reassuring, although the words "motion to revoke" and "jail time" didn't come up. So that's a good thing.

She basically said she'd have to see the report from the monitoring company before issuing any futher action, but typically for a first violation they might prescribe Antabuse (a drug that makes one violently ill when mixed with alcohol) or treatment in an "outpatient program."

i assume you explained why it was a fail....i'm sure when she reviews the report....it won't matter....

good luck...
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

i assume you explained why it was a fail....i'm sure when she reviews the report....it won't matter....

good luck...

Yeah, I explained on the phone. It's her job to kind of be a hard-ass to me, so I kind of expected the "I have to review the report routine."

Earlier, I talked to a friend of a friend who is a lawyer here in town, and used to work in the DA's office, and he doesn't expect anything to come of it. He says the most likely outcome is a warning, and we go on with our business. But there's no guarantee.

So I'm not *really* worried, except for when your future is in somebody else's hands, you're always a little nervous.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    ive never used the mouthwash excuse cause ive never DUIed. Mostly im a pedestrian and PT user. Thats not to say i dont drink and drive cause i have done... Anyhoo what was the question???..
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    today is the big day.....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg