Dan Wheldon

2»

Comments

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Just been watching the videos, so sad. What a horrific sport.
  • imalive wrote:
    IRL bears a lot of responsibility for this. They never should have been running on that track. All cars are identical....they can't create any separation....and they're going 220 mph.

I'm sad to see this sport fading into obscurity. Went to a race in August....most of the drivers are pretty friendly.

Definitely not picking a fight at all.

But it's racing. Everyone who does it knows as they enter the car that there is a chance they can be injured or even killed. Whether it's an open wheeled car going 220 mph, a 320 mph dragster or funny car, a 90 mph sprint car, anything. It's the way it is. 1,500 lbs going 220 mph is dangerous, so is 190 mph in a 3,400 lb cup car. Shoot I watch heads up racing at a local drag strip where 3,300 lb drag radial tired stock suspension cars are going 215 mph + in the quarter mile with no wheelie bars.

It's extremely sad, but it's racing...
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    imalive wrote:
    IRL bears a lot of responsibility for this. They never should have been running on that track. All cars are identical....they can't create any separation....and they're going 220 mph.

I'm sad to see this sport fading into obscurity. Went to a race in August....most of the drivers are pretty friendly.

Definitely not picking a fight at all.

But it's racing. Everyone who does it knows as they enter the car that there is a chance they can be injured or even killed. Whether it's an open wheeled car going 220 mph, a 320 mph dragster or funny car, a 90 mph sprint car, anything. It's the way it is. 1,500 lbs going 220 mph is dangerous, so is 190 mph in a 3,400 lb cup car. Shoot I watch heads up racing at a local drag strip where 3,300 lb drag radial tired stock suspension cars are going 215 mph + in the quarter mile with no wheelie bars.

It's extremely sad, but it's racing...
    The IRL has been racing and promoting these types of fast oval races for years now. Safety evolution over the last two decades has made us forget just how badly things can go ... if Wheldon's car slams into that fence the same way Will Powers did, they may be sharing a beer right now. Sadly, this incident will bring about changes to prevent a danger that everyone (drivers, owners, promoters) knew was lurking out there.

But at this point, my thoughts and prayers are with Wheldon's family and friends. Pointing fingers and blame assessment can wait.
  • I saw this on Sportscentre this morning.
    My thoughts + prayers go out to his family.
    What a tragedy.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    RIP Dan. He was coming down to Australia this weekend to race in the V8's with James Courtney. Very sad :(
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!