Have I got perculiar ears??

ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
edited October 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
This has probably been asked loads of times before, but I couldn't find a thread.

I have a problem keeping earphones in. I don't use them very often as I usually potter around doing other stuff when I play music. But last night I was walking the dog on my own so I thought I'd have a little musical acompliment, so I borrowed my son's headphones and plugged them in my phone.

It was really nice, walking along in the dark, Molly at my side, but it irritated the hell out of me that they just wouldn't stay in. First one fell out, then the other, then both. I've tried other ones in the past and none stay in. I don't know what to do (I have tried sticky tape - not good).

Has anyone got any suggestions? Or is it just my ears that are the problem and I'll just have to put up with it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Same problem here. Right ear is worse than left one. I simply don't use the damn things anymore. My advice is invest in some good quality lightweight headphones. The music will sound better too!
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Same problem here. Right ear is worse than left one. I simply don't use the damn things anymore. My advice is invest in some good quality lightweight headphones. The music will sound better too!

Mmmm, I was thinking about that. Any suggestions about whats best with an android phone.

My left ear is the worst :(
  • Claireack wrote:
    Same problem here. Right ear is worse than left one. I simply don't use the damn things anymore. My advice is invest in some good quality lightweight headphones. The music will sound better too!

Mmmm, I was thinking about that. Any suggestions about whats best with an android phone.

My left ear is the worst :(

Your left, my right. We're compatible! :lol: I use Skullcandy. Most headphones have a standard 3,5 mm mini-jack. I use mine with my phone, iPod, laptop,... You can't go wrong!
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    I seem to have small ears and hate the regular plugs cause they fall off all the time. I tried regular headphones, but I feel weird walking around with them. Now I'm using Sennheiser mx 65. They don't fall off cause they have a little thing on top that makes them stay in your ears :) Sound is good as well and they are not closed. I hate walking outside with closed headphones, it makes me dizzy ...
    Sennheiser-MX-65-VC-Street-II-Ohrhoerer.jpg
  • myramyra Posts: 1,257
    I have the same problem. The regular plugs keep falling off. The in-ear are too big to fit comfortably :? . I use those :

31qDUwYvXqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

They're great ! They stay in place and cancel the surrounding noise a bit, too.
  • PapPap Posts: 28,789
    g_00502894.jpg
    You're welcome. :)
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    nah I can't use in the in-earbuds. They actually hurt my ears. I got some of the the ones that slide over the ear too. Much more comfortable (and now I also don;t think about how much bacteria is accumulating in there either! :shock: ).
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I've had this problem forever with the white headphones that apple uses for the iPhone. Last christmas I purchase a pair of in ear buds from beats by Dre. The best headphones I've ever owned. They came with 10 different ear settings.
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    My wife has this same problem -- sort of. She had bad earaches as a kid and now she just can't stand to have anything in her ear.

She uses a pair of cheap neckband-style headphones like these and they do the job.
    31wYMtVLzML._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • JTHJTH Posts: 3,238
    Pap wrote:
    g_00502894.jpg
    You're welcome. :)
    I actually have a pair like this lying around somewhere. They're great once I get them set on my ears correctly. But getting them set correctly is not easy for me.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    duct tape?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    81 wrote:
    duct tape?

I second this. Hundred-mile-an-hour tape should do it.

Although...I stopped using earphones, the tape was taking skin off.
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
    81 wrote:
    duct tape?

I have tried tape, it wasn't sticking well enough - guess I've got much hair.
    Claireack wrote:
    81 wrote:
    duct tape?

I have tried tape, it wasn't sticking well enough - guess I've got much hair.

Honestly, I do prefer the old school headphones the best. Here's 81 modelling them.

thumbnail.aspx?q=1269096457127&id=52a5232a1227e85e99ac4be5b836966a&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.funnyhype.com%2ffiles%2ffunny-pictures%2f2010%2fbaby-with-headphones.jpg
    Looks like 81 got a haircut!
  • Claireack wrote:
    This has probably been asked loads of times before, but I couldn't find a thread.

I have a problem keeping earphones in. I don't use them very often as I usually potter around doing other stuff when I play music. But last night I was walking the dog on my own so I thought I'd have a little musical acompliment, so I borrowed my son's headphones and plugged them in my phone.

It was really nice, walking along in the dark, Molly at my side, but it irritated the hell out of me that they just wouldn't stay in. First one fell out, then the other, then both. I've tried other ones in the past and none stay in. I don't know what to do (I have tried sticky tape - not good).

Has anyone got any suggestions? Or is it just my ears that are the problem and I'll just have to put up with it?

It sounds like you have small ear canals. You should look at getting custom-fit earphones. You can have this done at just about any hearing clinic. Here's a link to custom-fit headphones by Starkey:

http://www.trytunz.com/
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
    Claireack wrote:

:lol::lol:
    It sounds like you have small ear canals. You should look at getting custom-fit earphones. You can have this done at just about any hearing clinic. Here's a link to custom-fit headphones by Starkey:

Now that's a good idea! I did not know that you get custom ones. Nice. :mrgreen:
  • Claireack wrote:

:lol::lol:

Now that's a good idea! I did not know that you get custom ones. Nice. :mrgreen:

Yeah, so not only do they stay in your ears, but the sound quality is even better too!
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,944
    perculiar? No I dont think they rise to THAT level. But on the other hand , the do have the sense of peculiar about them. ;):mrgreen:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,136
    I can't use the earbuds either. They keep falling out and I think they are uncomfortable. I have some headphones that look exactly like the ones JTH posted, except they are made by Koss...very comfortable and great sound quality too. I've used those so much that I am going to have to get some new ones soon.
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    81 wrote:
    duct tape?

I find it scary and somewhat disturbing when we think alike
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    my husband has the same issue....the buds with the over ear things help...or use 'real' headphones.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

Haven't had time to peruse the internet, but some really good suggestions. In the meantime hubby found a set of ordinary headphones in a drawer that fit my phone and aren't too huge. I will wear them under a hat until I can get my backside into gear to sort some out. :D
    mickeyrat wrote:
    perculiar? No I dont think they rise to THAT level. But on the other hand , the do have the sense of peculiar about them. ;):mrgreen:

(I have just stuck my tongue out at you! ;) )
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    me too I can never use those they hand out on planes so I read

I have no advice except maybe just listen to nature on your walks
    and the sound of Molly by your side
    it sounds so peaceful :D
    pandora wrote:
    me too I can never use those they hand out on planes so I read

I have no advice except maybe just listen to nature on your walks
    and the sound of Molly by your side
    it sounds so peaceful :D

Normally do and it is lovely :D Just fancied a change.